Yeast Containers ... Small Ones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK we have 800 spoken for so far, takers are listed below.
Cost is $37.35 per 100 PLUS the cost of a Toughbag and postage to wherever you are. Don't send any dough yet! till we get closer to a number to make it worthwhile.

AndrewQLD=100
Hoops=100
JGriffin=100
Tidalpete/nonicman=100

Berto=100
Gout=100

JasonY=100
Ausdb=100

Come on guys, pass the word around to your non ahb brewer mates please!!!

Ausdb

Ausdb,

Put me down for 100 of the 15ml polycarb with caps.

Top work.
Beers,
Doc

Cost is $37.35 per 100 PLUS the cost of a Toughbag and postage to wherever you are. Don't send any dough yet! till we get closer to a number to make it worthwhile.

AndrewQLD=100
Hoops=100
JGriffin=100
Tidalpete/nonicman=100
Bagnol=100
Berto=100
Gout=100

JasonY=100
Ausdb=100

Ausdb

Hi Ausdb

I'll take 100 also.

Bagnol.

BrissyBrew said:
Hoops I am interested in the glass "culture tubes", what are the lids made of, what temperature are they rated for. If suitable I would be interested in at least 40. Drop me an email [email protected]
[post="59273"][/post]​
OK called Science Supply in Brisbane who has the glass ones for around $150 for 100 so they're a bit cheaper. He said the ones they have are on special so only at this price for a little while.
They have phenolic lids with teflon liners and are suitable for autoclaving.
They have 150 with lids left.

Hoops

Hoops said:
OK called Science Supply in Brisbane who has the glass ones for around $150 for 100 so they're a bit cheaper.
[post="59830"][/post]​

Hi Hoops I will take some glass ones as well say 15

Ausdb

Doc said:
Put me down for 100 of the 15ml polycarb with caps.
Doc
bagnol said:
I'll take 100 also.
Bagnol.

Looks like this baby is gonna fly! 1000 now, I also posted on the ozcraftbrewers list for those who lurk there.

Ausdb

ausdb said:

AndrewQLD=100
Hoops=100
JGriffin=100
Tidalpete/nonicman=100

Berto=100
Gout=100

JasonY=100
Ausdb=100

Ausdb
[post="59805"][/post]​

Thanks for the opportunity to buy some more tubes. You can put me down for 100 and I will keep an eye on this thread to find out how you require payment to be made.

Struth, my first post and I am already spending more money.... What a great hobby this is.

Regards

Dodge

Righto just got back from the Lab Supplier with 150 of the glass screw-top test tubes! B)
Doin some slants this weekend!
I bought the whole 150 as that's all they had left.
They cost $1.90ea incl GST

Hoops

Hoops said:
Anyone interested in getting any of these ones?

post-292-1115676017_thumb.jpg

Would need a minimum order of 144 though. $2.06ea
[post="59207"][/post]​

Just checking. What size are they again Hoops? :blink: :blink:

16mm x 100mm

not sure of volume

They are exactly the same as the ones in the photo above

1.6*10 gives about 16ml. Allow for the bulb on the bottom and id say these are 15mL tubes

Tidalpete said:
Just checking. What size are they again Hoops? :blink: :blink:
[post="59945"][/post]​
The are almost the same size as the polycarbonate (15ml) ones pictured elsewhere.

Are the glass ones better than the poly ones?

Batz

Hoops,
Have you got 10 of those to spare? if so I will take them.
PM me if you have them available with details.

Andrew

Batz said:

Batz
[post="59959"][/post]​

Batz,
The glass ones will be clearer and less likely to scratch. Handy if trying to pick colonies with a loop

I have put aside:

40-50 for Brissybrew
20 for AndrewQLD
15 for Ausdb
10 for JGriffin

so I have about 30-40 left

Darren said:
Batz said:

Batz
[post="59959"][/post]​

Batz,
The glass ones will be clearer and less likely to scratch. Handy if trying to pick colonies with a loop
[post="59963"][/post]​
Glass also has the advantge of being able to flame the mouth and I would think they would last a lot longer than plastic

Darren said:
Batz said:
[post="59959"][/post]​

[post="59963"][/post]​
From what I can tell my polycarbonate ones are just as clear as my glass ones. The glass ones will presumably last longer if you don't drop them. As for scratching, polycarb is pretty resistant. I have reused a few several times and there is no real sign of scratching.

I am sure which ever ones you buy, you will be able to culture in them. The glass ones do have a slight shoulder which could help avoid molten agar slurping the lid.

You probably want three tubes for each yeast. Your master copy, backup and working copy but two is better than one.

Hoops said:
Glass also has the advantge of being able to flame the mouth and I would think they would last a lot longer than plastic
[post="59974"][/post]​
I am pretty new at this but I think flaming is less relevant with screw caps. I haven't managed to get an infected one yet out of the whole 18 I have done :D

Back