Wyeast Hero

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Pack of Wyeast 1469 from January.
2011 :eek:

Swelled in 3 days. Last week I did similar with a Wyeast Urquell from April 2011 and it did likewise and is hammering away in a Pils ATM (I grew it on in a starter for a few days)

both kept in a normal fridge, I reckon the "one day per month from date of manufacture" is way off the mark, these Wyeasts seem to be far more viable than we often give them credit for.

wyeast_hero__Large_.jpg

Just used some dry Nottingham kept in fridge Best Before Sept 2010 and it fired up real quick (rehydrated). Now it seems to have gone on strike or go slow at 1.020

in Cairns, now that's a worry :p - oxygenation maybe?

I've kept dried yeasts in the freezer for a couple of years and they have fired up and fermented perfectly after their cryo voyage to Mars and back.

, I reckon the "one day per month from date of manufacture" is way off the mark, these Wyeasts seem to be far more viable than we often give them credit for.

I was told half a day per month (John Preston from GG)

In the last two cases that would be over a week, but they got there in less than half the time. I seem to remember that NewGuy from Canada lost a Wyeast down the side of his car seat for several months and it fired up just fine after riding around in all sorts of temperatures :eek:

Probably a cautious rule of thumb.

These things are only ever a guide. Milk and eggs can go off before their use by date but are more likely to still be OK after their useby date if treated well.

:icon_offtopic: I came across a box a couple of weeks ago that was left over from our last house move over 2 years ago. Apart from a few interesting long lost items "what ever happened to xyz??" there were a few blocks of Aldi German manufacured chocolate about a year past their BBF date that had gone through 2 summers to boot.
Perfect. :icon_drool2:

I had a packet of CB S189 (along with a couple small packs of hops) left out, under the house, in the middle of summer for about 3 months, before I realised I left them out.

I needed the s189 when some Notto (go figure) didn't take. I rehydrated and sure enough - great! I dry hopped with the hops and the aroma was fantastic.

Not recommended, but not the end of the world, either.

Goomba

this is odd as i had a packet of 2206 from april this year and it didnt even swell after 4 days (yes the packet was popped). took 4 more days on the stir plate to take off, hope its all good. I accidentally popped a pack of 3463 (thinking it was the 2206) at the same time, dated june 2011 and it was swolen in 3 hrs

Just used some dry Nottingham kept in fridge Best Before Sept 2010 and it fired up real quick (rehydrated). Now it seems to have gone on strike or go slow at 1.020

Thats funny as I have a porter down at the moment and used 2 packets of notto dry yeast and it went crazy early on but has slowed right down at 1.20 as well! Only been 8 days but I had read that it could have been finished by now and by the way it started I thought it would be but was vry surprised to see it sitting at 1.20!

Camo

Back