WYeast Smack Pack question...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packing tape isn't a good insulator IMHO. Perhaps some decent insulation over that probe will give you a better indication of the actual wort temp?
Not being smart here. Just saying. :)

I used to keep aquariums. I use the same principles of temp change with yeast as i did with fish plants etc. don,t shock.

I'm not overly concerned by the packing tape and the reading I'm getting. A digital thermometer in the fridge indicates the temp is 19.7c. My concern is more about the lack of visual activity of the yeast.

maybe wrong but does it not say on the back of the pack to leave at ambient temp for a few hours before smacking?

Regarding the pack not swelling, I had one do this that was 2 weeks old and the reason was that only one of the nutrient packs inside burst open

ricardo said:
maybe wrong but does it not say on the back of the pack to leave at ambient temp for a few hours before smacking?
No it doesn't. It says smack, shake and then incubate at 21-24C for 3 or more hours.

Put a beanie on it mate.
Then go outside and build a snowman. Bloody ice city you live in.

Thanks Manticle, I'll do just that ;)

But in all seriousness, the pic I posted... should I be concerned that there's no activity? I'm leaning towards yes.

slcmorro said:
That was ambient.
There's your problem. Your yeast is frigid. Try stroking it's inner thighs for a bit.

I wouldn't stress too much yet slc. Give it another 24 hrs before you consider pitching backup yeast. By the sound of it the pack wasn't old and it had started to swell. You just tried to prove it at a lower temp than the strain prefers. It might not be the best beer you've made but I reckon it'll still fire up on its own.

Well, it has a krausen - yay!

Bit annoyed it took a while to kick off, but then again what I did wasn't best practice by the sounds of things. Will see how it tastes before I sook up. On another note though, I'll hopefully have a big nice healthy yeast cake from which to harvest more from for next time!

Latest posts

Back