Windsor Yeast (dry)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sah

Reaction score
What are your experiences with dry Windsor yeast?

What flavour profile does it deliver at different temperatures?

Is it better to ferment at 17C or 21C?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

What are your experiences with dry Windsor yeast?

What flavour profile does it deliver at different temperatures?

Is it better to ferment at 17C or 21C?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Loads of esters. I didnt really like it, just too estery, almost sweet. But i only used it once. A lot of people like it. I prefer the nottiingham, but i like my bitters a bit on the dry side. I have heard nottingham can be used for alts, and maybe lagers.

Let us know scott

I agree with Mark. I found it was OK, and produced a drinkable bitter, but a little too estery, too 'strong tasting'. I fermented about 18, I think. The other thing I found was it didn't clear well. Nottingham is now my dry ale yeast of choice, although I think the English liquid yeasts still rule the roost in this particular brewing barnyard.

I've got 2 beers with windsor on tap at the moment Scott

If you wanna swing past and sample

Initially fermented at 17 - then left to finish at close to 20

One is a blonde ale and the other a sweet stout

I got the blonde down to 1.011 from 1.051 (it had 500g cane sugar in it though)

It gave up at 1.018 from 1.053 for the stout

Gelatine is a must with it - it just won't floc by itself

I've used it in the past for an english mild which was tasty

Though I was a bit iffy on it in an ESB I made

Overall it's an acceptable yeast - I'm probably gonna give Nottingham a go soon to compare

Give me a buzz if you are gonna swing round

Cheers

One thing about Nottingham: if you're brewing a low-gravity ale, I'd mash high, as it does attenuate very well.

I found that the Windsor produces a pretty good flavour but it's attenuation can be quite low. I was only able to get it to ferment down to a FG of 1.020

Timely thread for me. I have a best bitter sitting in a cube waiting for some yeast today. I'm going to try a few dry yeasts this year. I was planning on using Windsor, but now I'm not so sure. I've also got S-04 which I haven't used since my early brewing days. Should I save the Windsor for a dark mild? :unsure:

Timely thread for me. I have a best bitter sitting in a cube waiting for some yeast today. I'm going to try a few dry yeasts this year. I was planning on using Windsor, but now I'm not so sure. I've also got S-04 which I haven't used since my early brewing days. Should I save the Windsor for a dark mild? :unsure:

I would. I love the flavour and profile of this yeast.
It is my yeast of choice for bitters except for the odd occasion when I use liquids. I used s04 again recently and I do really like the beer but next time I will be trying it with Windsor again.

Windsor is my fav dried yeast for an English bitter; it has a lovely fruity finish. I use it regularly & the resultant beers are always popular up here.
It's poor attenuation works great in a low alc beer, giving you some body to balance the higher carbonation levels we tend to give our bitters here in Aus.

cheers Ross

Ross does a very flavoursome low alc beer with this yeast. I'm sure he will tell the details.

I have used Windsor once and liked the result.

I'm just about to have another go at using Windsor. Would you use it in an easy drinking Pale Ale (4.5%abv)? Maybe lower the crystal to account for low attenuation?

I'm just about to have another go at using Windsor. Would you use it in an easy drinking Pale Ale (4.5%abv)? Maybe lower the crystal to account for low attenuation?

Might be one of the keys to getting a good result. Not much need for a 'body builder' with this one.

Wow, some excellent replies here. Thank you.

I do want a low attenuator for this wort I have cubed, however it has 10% crystal with a 0.82 BU:GU and 1.042 OG. I hope it won't be too unbalanced. I'm not adverse to esters as long as they're not acteylaldehyde like.

Cortez, thank's for the offer I would have contacted you to arrange a Sunday afternoon tasting (got my latest Hefe ready, also Tony's Old) however I'm looking after bub. I'll be in touch.

bconnery & Ross, what temperature(s) do you ferment with this yeast? Ross, interesting comment about using higher carbonation to balance the sweetness, I'll experiment.

Thanks brewers.

regards,
Scott

i did an ESB with windsor, and i love the resultant beer... i fermented at 18 degrees and i think i got it down to 1.015ish..

If you want esters and attenuation, pitch 1xWindsor with 1xNottingham or US-05.
I recently brewed a bitter with that mix of yeast and it was a decent beer. Estery but not sticky.

bconnery & Ross, what temperature(s) do you ferment with this yeast? Ross, interesting comment about using higher carbonation to balance the sweetness, I'll experiment.

regards,
Scott

I ferment it at 19 to 20c.
as PoMo pointed out, if you want the fruitiness of Windsor but better attenuation ,add a satchet of Notts or US-05...I add these 24 hours after the windsor.

cheers Ross

Windsor is my fav dried yeast for an English bitter; it has a lovely fruity finish. I use it regularly & the resultant beers are always popular up here.
It's poor attenuation works great in a low alc beer, giving you some body to balance the higher carbonation levels we tend to give our bitters here in Aus.

cheers Ross

I got some a little while back with the intention of making a cider from it. Last cider I made was with S04, and its a little too alcoholic - more like sparkling apple wine than cider.

Havent tested it out yet, but hopefully soon.

I've used it successfully in a Irish Red, Stout and Warrens Mild (got very good reviews for the punters and keg was emptied in half an hour - 40 C may have had something to do with that :) )

I've used it successfully in a Irish Red, Stout and Warrens Mild (got very good reviews for the punters and keg was emptied in half an hour - 40 C may have had something to do with that :) )

Some very positive responses. I may have to give it another go. Maybe in a roasty dark ale, or a pale with a small amount of crystal, and lots a hops.

Latest posts

Back