Windsor Yeast (dry)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old tread to dig up, but:-

I'm doing a side by side using Windsor and US-05.

Windsor bolted out the gate, pitched dry yeast on top of the wort.

US-05 was second gen, made up with a starter, its much slower.

Vienna malt, and lots of hops, so should be a good side by side.

As with many others i can never get Windsor below 1.020...

Prefer Nottingham personally.

This thread, and the other thread has me kind of keen to revisit both of these yeast strains. For some reason tempted to do 2 x mild ales, same grains etc, but one mashed at 70 for 30 mins and fermented with notto, the other mashed at 62 for 90 and fermented with Windsor.

zeggie said:
As with many others i can never get Windsor below 1.020...

Prefer Nottingham personally.
have you ever considered 'finishing it off' with us-05 or any other clean-fermenting yeasts? if you like the esters, i was told you can simply add more clean-fermenting yeast if the original yeast dies out/stalls/stops short of where you want it

Bit OT, so apologies:

What's the deal with Windsor - is it a case of not being *able* to get to a low FG, or is it more that it just takes a long long time?

(Context: interested in using Windsor for a Ginger Beer I want to finish as high as possible)

Interestingly, I just noticed the windsor batch is 14L and the US-05 batch is 16L, I might just end up pitching 1L of active fermenting US-05 batch into the windsor to dry it out some, I'll have to go and measure both SG's...

Yob,

15g Citra,
10g Amarilo
10g Cascade
10g Summer
10g Ahtanum

(all from you :) )

The above @ each addition.

50min, 10min, 5min

165g of hops, 32L batch, lost 2L to trub

1.050 OG

Any recommendations on dry hop?

Great thread thanks for reviving this.

I'm planning a stout, kit & bits fermented with Windsor. Good to hear people's experiences. I'm looking for lower attenuation and esters to make it interesting.

Basic idea
Coopers stout tin
1.5 kg LME
0.5 kg flaked oats steeped at 60°C 30 min boil afterwards to ensure no infection
0.2 kg cocoa powder
Dry hop with fuggles

I have the yeast and all the ingredients and need to use them up.

Now I need to get my brew fridge wired up with the controller and then I'll put this one on so that it will be ready for winter.

Sent from my HDC-08 using Tapatalk 4

fletcher said:
have you ever considered 'finishing it off' with us-05 or any other clean-fermenting yeasts? if you like the esters, i was told you can simply add more clean-fermenting yeast if the original yeast dies out/stalls/stops short of where you want it
Yeah I've read a few people do this. Personally dont mind dry so Notto for me and then I know the job will be done.

just took a sg reading.

Windsor = 1.014
US-05 = 1.010

time to dry hop

err, did...

Summer 40g
Ahtanum 40g
Pilot 20g

in each!

- Screw your 10g additions....
lol

2 weeks in the bottle, I've been drinking the US-05 all week!, is great, the Windsor needs more time.

The Windsor is sweeter, and has suppressed the hops more. US-05 wins for me.

2 weeks in the bottle, I've been drinking the US-05 all week!, is great, the Windsor needs more time.

The Windsor is sweeter, and has suppressed the hops more. US-05 wins for me.

perhaps see how it is though in another 1-2 weeks. the windsor might come good. I do love us05 though but these two yeasts are fairly different yeasts aren't they?

just tested a kind of colonial aussie bitter ale using this yeast:

pale - 90
med xtal - 5
wheat - 5
mashed 65C
POR @ 60 for 30ibu
windsor @ 17C
1.044 - 1.014 (couldn't get any lower but don't mind too much)
now bottle conditioning

tasted it the other night after about 2 weeks and it still tastes VERY young. looking through this thread it seems that windsor takes longer to clear up. is this what others have experienced? i only had it in the fermenter for about 10 days before bottling, including 3 days cold crash as it was done.

I used both Windsor and Notto in English bitters one after the other and wasn't really thrilled with either. I think both strains produce pretty wild esters which are good for a strong malty beer, not so good for more subtle or hoppy beers though, in my opinion. So4 has quite a heavy ester also, I would rather go for a liquid yeast if using English strains. Like 1469 or WLP007. I fermented both yeasts quite cold, 16deg C and they still produced quite harsh ester profiles for my palate.

Byran said:
I used both Windsor and Notto in English bitters one after the other and wasn't really thrilled with either. I think both strains produce pretty wild esters which are good for a strong malty beer, not so good for more subtle or hoppy beers though, in my opinion. So4 has quite a heavy ester also, I would rather go for a liquid yeast if using English strains. Like 1469 or WLP007. I fermented both yeasts quite cold, 16deg C and they still produced quite harsh ester profiles for my palate.
cheers mate. hopefully it gets better after a week or 2. at the moment it was pretty harsh. i'll give you a few to try any way haha

Ok, been drinking the windor and us05 side by side tonight. It did need the extra time and now I prefer it over the us. Nice and malty. Bit sweeter. Very nice

Latest posts

Back