Windsor Yeast (dry)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of using this yeast for the first time in a Mild shortly but can't find the attenuation figure for it to put into Beersmith, can anybody help me

Rook

Promash has it listed between 68-74% attenuation. I'd be more inclined to believe the lower end. She's a sticky yeast. ;)

Warren -

I'm thinking of using this yeast for the first time in a Mild shortly but can't find the attenuation figure for it to put into Beersmith, can anybody help me

Rook
Rook,

try a nice English liquid yeast instead. Your taste buds will thank you :icon_cheers: !

C&B
TDA

Rook
Great minds Rook ;)
I'm about to use it in a London ESB for the July case swap. The first cube I fermented out with WY1318 London III, and it was overly attenuated. I'm hoping the Windsor leaves a little more behind with the second cube.

Does this yeast need rousing to finish the job?

Forgot to report back, ended up at 1.018. Far too high for my liking, this is a VERY low % beer now, around 2.6% :(

Boooooo!

What % of crystal r u guys using in the english bitters for them to be finishing so high? or is it just the yeast? I want to do an English Bitter at about 3.5% but it just does not feal right only using 3 kg's of malt in a beer.

Steve

Rook,

try a nice English liquid yeast instead. Your taste buds will thank you :icon_cheers: !

C&B
TDA

Yeah I agree. I did a couple of bitters with WLP Burton Ale and the results were great - so much more going on! IMO, Windsor is only really worthwhile if you are intentionally trying to make a beer that is 2.5% alc - ie so you get a good amount of residual sweetness to offset the lack of body. Other than that I'd rather a slightly more attentuative yeast - preferably a liquid one. :beerbang:

Hey Adzmax, keep it for parties where you've gotta drive! :icon_cheers:

thanks for the quick responses fellas, TDA and TD I would like to try a liquid but have never used them before and i have the Windsor to use up.

SJW, Jamil uses up to 17.5% Crystal and also 7.5% pale chocolate in his recipe using Windsor

Rook

SJW, Jamil uses up to 17.5% Crystal

Hmmm... Mmm.... Weeeellll... My guess is Jamil's dental visits are free too. :eek:

Nice to have a bit of a toffee/sweet crystal finish on lower gravity beers. OTOH that's taking it to a new level. Personally I wouldn't go any more than 10% max.

Warren -

Hmmm... Mmm.... Weeeellll... My guess is Jamil's dental visits are free too. :eek:

Nice to have a bit of a toffee/sweet crystal finish on lower gravity beers. OTOH that's taking it to a new level. Personally I wouldn't go any more than 10% max.

Warren -

I was waiting....what took you so long Wazza.....

Rook

Mash low at 63c & a standard bitter will drop to approx 1012. Mash at 67c & you'll finish at 1018.
Personally I really like the yeast in an English Bitter (my fav dry yeast) & got 2nd place in the State Championships last year using it.

There are some great liquids though, especially 1318 :)

cheers Ross

edit: ...& just pitched a sachet of Windsor into a Mild, brewed this morning.

This might give you a better idea. I'm working at 65% efficiency.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/brewing-pages.asp?NewsID=9

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Bairds) (5.9 EBC) Grain 66.19 %
0.50 kg Maize, Flaked (Bairds) (3.9 EBC) Grain 11.82 %
0.40 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 9.46 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.73 %
0.10 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (256.1 EBC) Grain 2.36 %
0.10 kg Caramel Wheat Malt (Weyermann) (90.6 EBC) Grain 2.36 %
0.10 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 2.36 %
0.03 kg Chocolate Malt (Bairds) (886.5 EBC) Grain 0.71 %
48.00 gm Goldings [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
40.00 gm Goldings [3.70 %] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings [3.70 %] (15 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings [3.70 %] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings [3.70 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs CraftBrewer Windsor (Dried Yeast) Yeast-Ale
Mashed at max 64c. Single infusion batch sparge

Over all I'm happy with the beer, it's pretty bloody nice just a tad on the low side so you're right T.D, this one is a driving beer. Will be VERY handy :)

Ross - thanks for that info, nice and handy!

Warren -

I agree Warren, up to 17.5% of crystal in a mild is ludicrous, the toffee characteristics of the crystal malt would be overpowering. I like to mash high 67 or 68 to keep the body and mouthfeel up and to stop the beer from drying out and becoming too thin and bland.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew I've got David Sutula's Classic Styles "Mild Ale" book and he also quotes such crazy amounts too. Some recipes as high as 20% !!!

Always consider that book a fantastic read until I hit the recipe section. Could be deemed very misleading to the point of maybe turning some brewers off such a great beer style. :(

This cold Melbourne weather has me thinking of English Ale season already... Giddyap! :icon_cheers:

The hop shortage will make Dark Mild a convenient style.

Warren -

Just adding to this thread on the windsor yeast, I have just used it in a robust porter and found that it fermented like mad for four days at 20 degrees, and resulted in pulling the OG of 1054 down to 1006. It's conditioning in the primary now for another week, but initial tastings are good, although the finish is a little bit drier than I was planning.

I read this thread to decide on the yeast to use and decided on windsor so that the FG would be a little higher (say around 1012), but the yeast has fermented strongly....and thrown the abv up to 6.5%.

Recipe is here:

0.30 kg Wheat DME (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 8.0 %
3.00 kg Extra Pale LME (4.0 EBC) Extract 80.0 %
0.18 kg Pale Chocolate Malt (650.0 EBC) Grain 4.8 %
0.15 kg Caraaroma (400.0 EBC) Grain 4.0 %
0.12 kg Carafa III (1300.0 EBC) Grain 3.2 %
15.00 gm Pacific Jade [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
15.00 gm NZ Fuggles [5.00%] (40 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
25.00 gm NZ Fuggles [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
30.00 gm NZ Fuggles [5.00%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 tsp Koppa Floc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale