Windsor Yeast (dry)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
law-of-ohms said:
Ok, been drinking the windor and us05 side by side tonight. It did need the extra time and now I prefer it over the us. Nice and malty. Bit sweeter. Very nice
good to know. mine's been in the bottle a little over three weeks so it should hopefully be cleaning up and ready soon. fingers crossed. i think i got to it too quick in the fermentor after it was done, and the yeast didn't have much of a chance to clean up early on.

holy CRAP.

just took a taste of my recipe above and the windsor has come good and cleaned up. absolutely amazing taste. the pride of ringwood has a lovely bitterness but what compliments it perfectly is an almost estery nuttiness from the windsor yeast. i'm a big fan. it's not overpowering for the 30ish IBU and sits just under it perfectly.

Question
I put an ESB of sorts down to ferment on friday with a rehydrated pack of Nottingham, however it's failed to fire
I'm a little hesitant to put another pack of Notto in as my LHBS repackages 500g packs and there's the possiblity it's a bad batch
Any problems with pitching a pack of Windsor, if the Notto is dead, should it not contribute any conflicting flavours?
SG was 1.054 if that makes any difference

*edit*
Nevermind, went another Notto as they had no Windsor

sp0rk said:
Question
I put an ESB of sorts down to ferment on friday with a rehydrated pack of Nottingham, however it's failed to fire
I'm a little hesitant to put another pack of Notto in as my LHBS repackages 500g packs and there's the possiblity it's a bad batch
Any problems with pitching a pack of Windsor, if the Notto is dead, should it not contribute any conflicting flavours?
SG was 1.054 if that makes any difference

*edit*
Nevermind, went another Notto as they had no Windsor
can't say I've ever done the same thing mate but I used my first lot of Windsor the other day and it was super in my english/aussie hybrid bitter.

flavour wise I picked up a slight nuttiness and it didn't floculate as notto does.

We'll see the other Notto goes, I noticed a little bit of scum floating on top which I'm really hoping is just trub or something, not an infection due to 2-3 days of sitting in a fermenter with dead yeast :(

fletcher said:
holy CRAP.

just took a taste of my recipe above and the windsor has come good and cleaned up. absolutely amazing taste. the pride of ringwood has a lovely bitterness but what compliments it perfectly is an almost estery nuttiness from the windsor yeast. i'm a big fan. it's not overpowering for the 30ish IBU and sits just under it perfectly.
Hi fletcher,

So how long has it been bottle conditioning from when it was bottled to the post above??
I am thinking of doing an ESB or similar and condition / carbonate it in the keg and was wondering about conditioning time.

dicko said:
Hi fletcher,

So how long has it been bottle conditioning from when it was bottled to the post above??
I am thinking of doing an ESB or similar and condition / carbonate it in the keg and was wondering about conditioning time.
hey mate, it was bottled on the 23/01 and that post was 16/02. 3ish, 4ish weeks perhaps?

i daresay when it's in the keg though, it would condition much faster with a larger volume of yeast (unless i'm mistaken). this is purely my guess. but i tell you what, i called my beer the 'pretty ordinary' bitter, because never having used that yeast, i didn't expect much. it has been one of my best bitters i've made. absolutely loved it. i will try the 1469 because i've read it's got a similar nuttier and i prefer liquid yeast but the windsor worked a treat and i'm glad i used it.

EDIT: taste-wise it was beautiful then and still matured nicely up until last night when i cracked my last bottle :(

I used Windsor in an Irish stout a few years ago because that is all that I had and first up it was ordinary but after some time in the bottle it was great...it smoothed out and was a great stout.

how long did it take to smooth out for your stout? i never really considered it for a stout but am curious

fletcher said:
how long did it take to smooth out for your stout? i never really considered it for a stout but am curious
For my tastes Windsor has got a sweet note to it which was hard to detect in the Irish Stout.

I had different feelings about using it in an Irish stout but it came out OK. I can only go from memory but it aged for around 2 months before I tried my first bottle.

I would like to try Windsor in a sweet stout. I recon that would be good as well

I'm going to be trying a sweetish stout with Windsor. Kit and bits to try and get some more unfermentables in there to get some sweetness when combined with the Windsor. Have steeped grain and some flanked oats. Letting it cool overnight and I'll add lme and coopers stout kit tomorrow. May add some chocolate essence too. Been needing to use the kit for a while now.

Sent from my HDC-08 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back