Coopers brew ‘A’

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikita.Libra

Reaction score
I’m planning on making this as my next brew as I like the flavour profile description.

The recipe asks for
2 × Australian Pale Ale (1.7kg)
1 × Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract (1.5kg)
1 × 50g East Kent Goldings Hops
1 × Coopers Commercial Yeast Culture
1 × S-33 Yeast Sachet

My last brew was a saison and I have 7g of yeast that comes with the coopers Australian pale ale can mix left over.

Out of laziness and also not being a huge fan of commercial coopers pale ale, I was planning on using that left over yeast instead of the commercial yeast culture. I understand it won’t be the same but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this/what may be the changes in profile and strength.

I plan on adding some lemon zest too, so mimicking the recipe perfectly isn’t exactly high on my priorities. Just looking for a floral and fruity, strong, easy drinking pale ale that isn’t overly bitter or hoppy.

Thanks

How many litres are you planning to brew?
I've never brewed a saison, so can't answer on that one.
A single sachet of kit yeast is obviously not enough, but with harvested yeast from your previous batch you should be OK.
Whether the two mix is not something I'd like to speculate on.

How many litres are you planning to brew?
I've never brewed a saison, so can't answer on that one.
A single sachet of kit yeast is obviously not enough, but with harvested yeast from your previous batch you should be OK.
Whether the two mix is not something I'd like to speculate on.
23 litres is what the recipe asks for.
I’d be using the 7g yeast sachet left over from the coopers Australian pale ale can mix as well as the 11.5g of S-33 yeast the recipe calls for.

That recipe will produce a relatively high SG. I'd venture to say the 18.5 gr of dry yeast will struggle to give you a clean beer. I'd opt for more yeast.
Thoughts on this from others?

That recipe will produce a relatively high SG. I'd venture to say the 18.5 gr of dry yeast will struggle to give you a clean beer. I'd opt for more yeast.
Thoughts on this from others?
I also have a left over 7g yeast from coopers wheat beer can mix, which I could add too.
So 7g Australian pale ale yeast,
7g wheat beer yeast
11.5g s-33 yeast

Saison really needs dedicated Saison yeast; I would use either one of the liquid cultures available or the Belle Saison yeast if you want to stay with a dry yeast.

S-33 or the Wheat yeast wont head in the right direction.
As Philrob says your OG will be reasonably high (I get 1.064) and you want a pretty fair pitch to get a good start.
Saison yeast is very attenuateive and alcohol tolerant, if you want a dryer finish sub out one of the kits or the 1.5kg LME with a fully fermentable sugar (either Dextrose or Sucrose (sugar)) would work well.
Mark

Edit
Probably should have read your post a bit more carefully – if you want fruity s-33 isn’t a bad choice, got excited as I love Saison on a hot day, one of my favourite summer tipples.
M

Saison really needs dedicated Saison yeast; I would use either one of the liquid cultures available or the Belle Saison yeast if you want to stay with a dry yeast.

S-33 or the Wheat yeast wont head in the right direction.
As Philrob says your OG will be reasonably high (I get 1.064) and you want a pretty fair pitch to get a good start.
Saison yeast is very attenuateive and alcohol tolerant, if you want a dryer finish sub out one of the kits or the 1.5kg LME with a fully fermentable sugar (either Dextrose or Sucrose (sugar)) would work well.
Mark

Edit
Probably should have read your post a bit more carefully – if you want fruity s-33 isn’t a bad choice, got excited as I love Saison on a hot day, one of my favourite summer tipples.
M
I just bottled my saison yesterday and I’m very excited for it, it tastes great already.
I used a belle saison dry yeast in that recipe.

But yes this thread is for my next brew “Coopers Brew ‘A’”… perhaps I will change the light malt for wheat, thanks

Latest posts

Back