Which Commercial Kegs Can You Legally Own?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So for all those people standing by the law concerning kegs, and proudly say they wouldnt steal:

I don't think too many people have a huge problem with it, but you don't want to attract flies to shit. you know. so you don't hold a huge sign up saying "HEY EVERYONE I'M A THIEF!" as it attracts unwanted attention and I'm pretty sure some brewery spies would glance at this board every now and then.

;)

therefore wouldnt there be a shitload* of the perfectly legal older ones available if you knew where to source them?

Unless theyve been scapped at the metal dealer.

Yes there used to be thousands of the 18 Gal kegs in Clyde in a paddock Carlton owned. I had no inerest in them in the 1980s. They are all gone.

Yes again in the late 1990's at the McWilliams wine plant in Chullora, thousands of the 50L thin walled, barrel shaped shaped kegs with ball lock plugs and corny hatches. I was just getting into HB and made inquiries. Told the dude I wanted them to make outdoor fireplaces. He said he couldn't let me have them because they may end upback in the industry. I sat on my hands looking at them for 3 years, then one day, they were all gone!

One of my locals has 30+ 50l kegs sitting in the open in the car park.

Under a surveillance camera.

Me and a workmate (also a home brewer) have worked out a plan to nuetrelise said camera . . .

JUST JOKING ( about neutralizing the camera).

seriously, If keg security was so important, how can this be allowed to happen ie have kegs in the car park, in the open, with a potentially phony security camera???

I have suggested to the local HBS they pay a visit as it is 40m away from said pub lol lol

Cheers

One of my locals has 30+ 50l kegs sitting in the open in the car park.

Under a surveillance camera.

Me and a workmate (also a home brewer) have worked out a plan to nuetrelise said camera . . .

JUST JOKING ( about neutralizing the camera).

seriously, If keg security was so important, how can this be allowed to happen ie have kegs in the car park, in the open, with a potentially phony security camera???

I have suggested to the local HBS they pay a visit as it is 40m away from said pub lol lol

Cheers

phhhaaah. Bane of my damn life that was. Unsecured kegs everybloody where. It is a friggin miracle that there is even a camera pointing at them. In melbourne they just leave them lying on the street outside the pub. And it used to be part of my job to chase the damn things down when we were running short.

Thats one of the reasons that even though I work for a major brewery, I really don't give a toss that the odd homebrewer snags a keg for themselves. The pubs don't give a rat's & thats because the brewery does nothing to encourage them to give a toss... no deposit, no penalty for not returning kegs... nothing. All they do is keep an eye out for accumulations of un-returned kegs and bust the odd dufus who tries to steal and sell them.

12 months of my bloody life spent stressing and swearing about a chronic keg shortage... and they don't even have a deposit. Screw em

Here's an idea -definitely don't do it, it would be illegal and immoral.

You have a local who leaves kegs out on the street, easily accessible. Lets say you took one home one night to fill with your favourite homebrew.

Why??

This keg is free (because you stole it)
This keg is sterile...the brewery's sanitation is better than yours, and the only thing in that keg is a few hundred ml of mega brew. Just fill on top without cleaning or sanitising. Hell its even purged with C02.
When you are finished - put it back. Take another one. The brewery gets their keg back and you get a lovely fresh clean one in exchange
You don't have the damn thing lying around the place if you don't need it - just return it. There is an endless supply of new ones.

Don't do that - only dishonest, unscrupulous, law ignoring rapscallions would do that and I personally would abhor and disapprove of any such action.

But it would save a lot of cleaning of kegs..............................

(note: this is not about cutting up someone elses property to make a kettle out of it. That really is naughty)

Here's an idea -definitely don't do it, it would be illegal and immoral.

You have a local who leaves kegs out on the street, easily accessible. Lets say you took one home one night to fill with your favourite homebrew.

Why??

This keg is free (because you stole it)
This keg is sterile...the brewery's sanitation is better than yours, and the only thing in that keg is a few hundred ml of mega brew. Just fill on top without cleaning or sanitising. Hell its even purged with C02.
When you are finished - put it back. Take another one. The brewery gets their keg back and you get a lovely fresh clean one in exchange
You don't have the damn thing lying around the place if you don't need it - just return it. There is an endless supply of new ones.

Don't do that - only dishonest, unscrupulous, law ignoring rapscallions would do that and I personally would abhor and disapprove of any such action.

But it would save a lot of cleaning of kegs..............................

(note: this is not about cutting up someone elses property to make a kettle out of it. That really is naughty)

Classic :D

And I think rapscallions should be the word for the day :)

Better still, return it full of homebrew. You could have YOUR beer on tap the next day :D

Incidently, this is what I suspect the big boy brewers are most worried about, that people will re-fill their branded kegs with home-brewed beer and re-sell under their name.

Ie: Whats a keg full of beer worth? $200? What does it cost to make, $20?

We all know that front bar CUB drinkers would not know if their favourite beer was in the glass, so long as it came out of a CUB keg.

cheers

Darren

People can tit fart around with all the excuses in the world that they like - (with very occasional exceptions) branded current style kegs, belong to a brewery. Thats it. The kegs belong to the brewery. They are not yours, they are someone else's, and you either stole them or purchased stolen property.

So will the brewery pay the littering fine for any kegs that find their way into any parklands or streets?

I love all the "do gooders" who preach that having a s/s brewery keg is illegal, and how if u have one YOU MUST OF STOLE IT so your a bad person.
Who cares. Not even there breweries that much I bet. Sure if everyone had this attitude and owned a HOT keg for homebrew the world may grind to an economic halt and the sky might fall. But I reckon of all the AG home brewers in Australia and the ones that have s/s kegs there would only be a few hundred out there anyway.
The fact is it is illegal, so is doing 65kph in a 60 zone. If u can sleep at night having a keg or two, fine.
And the people that don't have s/s kegs should stop being so high and mighty.
The end.

Steve

So will the brewery pay the littering fine for any kegs that find their way into any parklands or streets?

This is a situation with a history. Shopping trolleys are sold at auction by the Council that collects them. I assume the Branded kegs, if recognised by Council as having a salable value in which to recoup the recovery costs (and not taken home by council workers themselves), will usually be sold at auction or by Public Tender. So the answer is; the kegs are stolen, then dumped in the park, then salvaged by Council or contractors, sold to recoup recovery costs.

In the case of Motor vehicles that are stolen and recovered, there is agreements for Insurance companies to recover them, but sometimes they end up in council holding yards and the insurance company or owner is traced and required to pay fees, or surrender ownership to council to dispose of at it's discression.

In the case of the Council and selling stolen kegs, council will be covered. The buyer can be anyone, but the council must prove they have offered the original owner first preference to buy so they can cover costs and make some money. Then obtain a certificate of ownership from the original owner to keep them or dispose of how they like.

This is a situation with a history. Shopping trolleys are sold at auction by the Council that collects them. I assume the Branded kegs, if recognised by Council as having a salable value in which to recoup the recovery costs (and not taken home by council workers themselves), will usually be sold at auction or by Public Tender. So the answer is; the kegs are stolen, then dumped in the park, then salvaged by Council or contractors, sold to recoup recovery costs.

In the case of Motor vehicles that are stolen and recovered, there is agreements for Insurance companies to recover them, but sometimes they end up in council holding yards and the insurance company or owner is traced and required to pay fees, or surrender ownership to council to dispose of at it's discression.

In the case of the Council and selling stolen kegs, council will be covered. The buyer can be anyone, but the council must prove they have offered the original owner first preference to buy so they can cover costs and make some money. Then obtain a certificate of ownership from the original owner to keep them or dispose of how they like.
How come you`re so knowledgeable about the ins and outs of all these laws and legal situations?

stagga.
edit.....and which Council do you mean?

I just love stealing kegs from the back of the pub, good rush - especially during the day in full view of a nearby shopping centre!

now I have to work out what to do with the excess kegs i dont need (as i got carried away a bit)

I just love stealing kegs from the back of the pub, good rush - especially during the day in full view of a nearby shopping centre!

now I have to work out what to do with the excess kegs i dont need (as i got carried away a bit)

Err...you could try giving them back.

All these quotes of fact in this thread are unbelievable...

People prosecuted in the UK (what relevance to Australia?)
International salvage laws (what relevance to Australia?)

etc etc

With some councils, they sell/auction to recoup costs, others fine the original owner and hold the property hostage until said fine is paid. I've been involved in a scenario where a council blocked a new store of a major retail chain (where I worked at the time) until a $500,000 shopping trolley fine was paid!

Laws are different everywhere we go...even local councils within Melbourne have different by-laws on how dumped goods, stolen or otherwise are treated...

Where I live, the local council are renowned for fining people who take goods from the roadside, as the local by-law states that ALL goods dumped are the property of the council...finders keepers doesn't exist around here but is still sprouted by the uninformed locally...but remember ignorance is no excuse in court!

And yes, I break the law just about everyday of my life!

The point here is that when asked, we inform people of what is right and wrong and then allow THEM to make up their own mind...Advising people that we can somehow "launder" stolen goods is farcical.

At the end of the day, it is unlikely that any homebrewer will be prosecuted, but lack of prosecution does not make it "legal".

Thirsty Boy, Thirsty Boy, quick, come and have a look at this!
Bring some handcuffs.

stagga.

dogma stole my karma man

for the record I do not 'steal kegs', I just like trying to spice up this forum as it's getting to politically correct

for the record I do not 'steal kegs', I just like trying to spice up this forum as it's getting to politically correct

oh yeah?
well it`s too bloody late now, off to the hoosegow you go.
that`s what you get for "spicing up the forum" :lol:

stagga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back