Which Commercial Kegs Can You Legally Own?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stealing a beer keg and stealing a milk crate are the same thing. Do you know of anyone being busted for having owned a milk crate?

Actually a friend of mine was done for milk crates (unlawful holding?"??) after he got pulled over for an unregistered vehicle, and was then charged with unlicensed driving. He noted proudly at the time that he was sober -- though he claimed to have never seen the milk crates before in his life *(your honour). Perhaps cause he was stoned?

Anyway, for the record He had 27 dairy farmers crates in the back of his bedford van - they were used as staging for the band. He was the drummer btw. The crates were confiscated and he had to find more the next day. As he told it, after he reclaimed his vehicle with his long expired license and registration, he just loaded the confiscated crates back in, (these are mine too mate!) and drove off. But that's just drummer talk.....

cheers

grant

What a crock the whole thread is, some even taking the opportunity to grandstand with posts to rival The Declaration Of Independence.
Can anyone actually point us to or name an incident where someone was prosecuted for the possesion of a beer keg? :lol:
This would be a joke if it wasn`t so funny, it comes up every few months but no one actually knows of anyone being "caught" for such a henious crime.
Strange, isn`t it? :lol:

stagga.
Hi everyone,

I totally agree, and that real_beer guys a total f*ckwit, don't worry though I've just caught up with him and cut his index fingers off, no more posts off him for a while i think. ogewgog msg;kp (translates as "oh shit that hurt"). :D .

Cheers :icon_cheers:

stealing a beer keg and stealing a milk crate are the same thing. Do you know of anyone being busted for having owned a milk crate?

Yes. Back in 2006/2007 a couple of those Asian supermarkets that sell everything in Rowe Street Eastwood got busted for milk crates. They were using them as shop fittings!
When I was still running pubs a couple of people got busted pinching kegs that were on the back dock. The only reason they got busted was because they jumped the fence to do so. As they lobbed them back over the fence they were met by the cops. Under OH&S I reckon the pubs that don't lock away the empty kegs are in the wrong for leaving a pressurised vessel unsecured. 100kpa will take out an eye...ask ya mum!

Now if you ever find a keg from a micro, make the effort to return it to its owner. I have had a couple returned & the efforts of those that did return it did not go unrewarded.

Cheers
Gerard

oh yeah, glasses on an AHB Pub Crawl are fair game, just don't carry them along in a milk crate!

Now if you ever find a keg from a micro, make the effort to return it to its owner. I have had a couple returned & the efforts of those that did return it did not go unrewarded.
Umm....Tooheys arent considered a micro are they? :rolleyes:

It may be a bit different if Adelaide as we receive cash for empty bottles

Also OT

ALLY CANS TOO

The point of your remark?

Scenario I haven't tried yet - So if I fill a shipping container with squashed ally cans that are worth 0.5C in NSW (at POS scrap metal yards) and drive to SA to claim 5C per can and make $35,000 @ 20 times per year after fuel and driver wages, is that stolen property or a crime? The cans used to say "Not to be refilled" and had the owners name printed on them before I got them. I can't prove where I got them from either.

As for the milk crates and kegs, it's sad when someone has to score promotional notches on "their" belt by going the extra mile (in being a hero for a corporation they are getting ripped off by themselves) and dobbing you in for something they don't have a warrant for!

Who cares about the friggin law?
Do you know of a single case of someone busted for illegal possesion of a beer keg?
Yes or no?

stagga.

Why yes I do - when I was working as a manager in the keg plant at CUB Abbotsford, we had incentives in place for employees to report accumulations of unreturned kegs OR cases where they believed kegs had been stolen. They are still in place.

Usually a couple/few times a year the brewery would take legal action against some twat who had either collected a heap of them for some stupid purpose - or if they fond someone re-selling the kegs...

-If you have a half a dozen of the things sitting in your paddock with logs on the tops as horse jumps.. a rep will come to call and basically demand them back
-If you have cut the things up - you might well get a letter from a lawyer as well 'cause you destroyed them and didn't just inconvenience the brewery by "borrowing" them. From there it would be a matter to sort out between lawyers. Charges would virtually never be pressed unless it was a significant number of kegs
-If you are selling them - they will very likely have you charged just to make a point.

Probably happens a few times every year.

So stagga, your ignorance of it happening is just that... your ignorance. Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

No one, including me gives a fat rats if a few homebrewers knock off a few kegs (well, maybe the brewery does) I just don't think its fair or right to tell people who ARE interested in doing the right thing and acting legally, that having one of these kegs is OK. It's not.

And yes... if I saw a tip / re-cycle yard selling kegs, I would report it. One or two in a homebrewer's shed.... so what. Some ******* trying to profit from it. Different. And I can assure you, the brewery would get their kegs back - and they wouldn't be paying for them.

Scenario I haven't tried yet - So if I fill a shipping container with squashed ally cans that are worth 0.5C in NSW (at POS scrap metal yards) and drive to SA to claim 5C per can and make $35,000 @ 20 times per year after fuel and driver wages....

You ignore the cost of gathering the cans, squashing them and packing them yatter yatter...

Did anyone answer the corney part ?

Where can i get legal kegs ?

Finders keepers ? no ?

You ignore the cost of gathering the cans, squashing them and packing them yatter yatter...

:icon_offtopic:

Isn't there a Seinfeld episode where Kramer tried to make a few extra bucks, by taking a load of bottles for recycling into an adjacent state using Newman's postal van ?

Classic show that :rolleyes:

I just scored 3 of these 60Lt beauty at no cost
P1313494.JPG
They have no stamp, name or label on them....nothing at all

i think i'll call them mine

one for a mash tun
one for a HLT
and
one for a kettle

nice...

Who cares about the friggin law?
Do you know of a single case of someone busted for illegal possesion of a beer keg?
Yes or no?

stagga.

I wouldn't mind a new kettle and I am too lazy to steal a keg, cut the top off and drill a hole for a tap, so wouldn't it just be easier to thieve a converted keg from some other homebrewer? I mean, they're not going to dob me in, are they?

<_<

Scenario I haven't tried yet - So if I fill a shipping container with squashed ally cans that are worth 0.5C in NSW (at POS scrap metal yards) and drive to SA to claim 5C per can and make $35,000 @ 20 times per year after fuel and driver wages, is that stolen property or a crime? The cans used to say "Not to be refilled" and had the owners name printed on them before I got them. I can't prove where I got them from either.
They are actually worth 10c per can/bottle now (been in for a few months, but not printed on labels yet), so you have doubled your money. Load up the truck, and head for the border. I think quite a few Victorians trek over to Mt Gambier SA to do this already. :ph34r:

But to contradict myself slightly, I did walk pass a shop in Adelaide that had a 50L poly sankey keg in the window as part of a display. I am going to check what the brand was and make them an offer. These are not in circulation in Australia, so does that make it OK???

Actually, At least one Barossa Micro is distributing their wares in these kegs.

Nige

I just scored 3 of these 60Lt beauty at no cost
View attachment 24399
They have no stamp, name or label on them....nothing at all

i think i'll call them mine

one for a mash tun
one for a HLT
and
one for a kettle

nice...

Yes, very nice!

They are actually worth 10c per can/bottle now (been in for a few months, but not printed on labels yet), so you have doubled your money. Load up the truck, and head for the border. I think quite a few Victorians trek over to Mt Gambier SA to do this already. :ph34r:

10 Cents, no that's tempting!

I wouldn't mind a new kettle and I am too lazy to steal a keg, cut the top off and drill a hole for a tap, so wouldn't it just be easier to thieve a converted keg from some other homebrewer? I mean, they're not going to dob me in, are they?

<_<
GO FOR IT! :icon_cheers:

" got a taxi home, thought the guy was a shit driver & he charged too much. Thumped him, & kept his cab as the cab company has heaps of them anyway :beerbang: "

same sort of thinking
cheers
Gerard

*There is always a certain amount of piss taking in my posts, it is up to you to figure out how much!

you can use the cab for midnite raids behind pubs for empty kegs. :beerbang:
don`t tell anyone tho.

stagga.

you can use the cab for midnite raids behind pubs for empty kegs. :beerbang:
don`t tell anyone tho.

stagga.

We did!
But the meter was still running, it would have been cheaper to buy an ally stock-pot!
Cheers
Gerard

We did!
But the meter was still running, it would have been cheaper to buy an ally stock-pot!
Cheers
Gerard

But aren't kegs stainless?

I can actually see where you went wrong here. You should have turned the meter off so that the taxi company wasn't diddled out of their fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back