Which Commercial Kegs Can You Legally Own?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, At least one Barossa Micro is distributing their wares in these kegs.

Nige
Stopped in this morning to have a look. It is a German import keg borrowed from a Restaurant, that has to go back once the display comes down.

Here is a situation,

I have borrowed a few Tooheys kegs from a friend, he owns several large and succesful pubs in my area, selling LOTS & LOTS of beer from many breweries, he keeps all of his kegs under lock and keg, as he is only borrowing them from the brewery, he has lent some to me, now these kegs are not cut up or destroyed, just kegs.

They can and will be returned to him whenever he asks for them back, where do I stand, I doubt any brewery is going to harass him over 4 kegs when he sells ten of thousands of $$ worth of their swill each week.

Am I borrowing or stealing?

Am I borrowing or stealing?

Neither, I think it's "Illegal use of" or "Misappropriation of Goods" not authorised to be in your possession by the owner in any "agreement or covenant that includs yourself" of said items?

However, if you are acting on behalf of the Pub owner, as an agent, representative or contractor, to handle said items, then you are STORING said kegs!

appleButter_crock.jpg

I can`t find a lid for this crock :(

stagga.

Didn't SJW call the keg collector from Carlton once upon a time, because of an ebay item or something some such, and told him all about AHB? IIRC at the time there was a minor uproar about it but I haven't heard of him contacting anyone as yeat.....

Yes I did and I never told him all about AHB, as if we are some underground brewing network. But he did not say that what some of u guys :rolleyes: are doing is ok (with these kegs) but from memory he said that he goes after and has prosecuted people selling kegs for financial gain and people swiping heaps of them. I think I did ask him about people having one or two for private use and he just said what has already been said here is that they are not for the public to cut up and use and action COULD be taken. But I work in an enforcement role at Council too and I can say with 100% certainty that there is no way in the world they would spend the crazy amounts of money to take a little homebrewer to court over one or two kegs.

Steve

Why doesn't someone just make a section in 'Tools of the Trade' called 'Discussions on Legalities of Kegs - Mainly Off Topic' ? That way, when a new thread about this comes up each week, it has a place to live.

As for this;

Scenario I haven't tried yet - So if I fill a shipping container with squashed ally cans that are worth 0.5C in NSW (at POS scrap metal yards) and drive to SA to claim 5C per can and make $35,000 @ 20 times per year after fuel and driver wages, is that stolen property or a crime? The cans used to say "Not to be refilled" and had the owners name printed on them before I got them. I can't prove where I got them from either.
I do recall a few people getting in trouble for doing something similar (buy/collect cans in another state then drive them to SA for the deposit). The cans all say 'when sold in SA' because the makers used to absorb the 5c. The deposit is now up to 10c and the makers decided to pass all of it on in the final price. The folk who got in trouble - sure, they couldn't prove where they got them from, the cops can't prove that they weren't sold in SA, but I believe they were caught coming across the border... How do you answer to "why do you have a truckload of cans" without giving yourself away? "Got thirsty on the way over???" :p

As for advice for the OP; buy your keg from someone with an ABN (a company, not just some dude who has one for the wholesale prices). Make sure it doesn't have any brewery labels. Actual companies are less likely to be dealing in dodgy goods. Not saying it's the best advice, just saying it's a step forward.

So for all those people standing by the law concerning kegs, and proudly say they wouldnt steal:

Have you, or have you ever, had any milk crates in your posession ?
Do you ever exceed the speed limit in your motor vehicle ?
Have you ever burned something to CD, recordined something to cassette or downloaded copyright material online, purchased movies/music while on holiday in Asia?
Have you ever jaywalked ?
Have you ever used illegal drugs in your life ?

Hands up who's guilty of all, OK most, of the above, yet still go on about illegal kegs ? We won't see any admissions, Im sure.

On another vein - when I went on the Boags Brewery tour in September, I noticed that the kegs are of a different style than the buldging old style I have previously been familiar with - and SWMBO (who works in the hospitality industry) reckons all the kegs these days are of the 'new' style/shape. So therefore wouldnt there be a shitload* of the perfectly legal older ones available if you knew where to source them?

*shitload: If commercial breweries have gone to a new shape, thn the pre-existing kegs would number in the hundreds of thousands, wouldnt they ? Unless theyve been scapped at the metal dealer.

As for advice for the OP; buy your keg from someone with an ABN (a company, not just some dude who has one for the wholesale prices). Make sure it doesn't have any brewery labels. Actual companies are less likely to be dealing in dodgy goods. Not saying it's the best advice, just saying it's a step forward.

I did. Ye olde style cask shape with no numbers or letters at all. From the rubbish dump. $20 :)

Anyone can apply for an ABN............ it's by no means a good indicator of legitimate business practice.

So for all those people standing by the law concerning kegs, and proudly say they wouldnt steal:

Have you ever burned something to CD, recordined something to cassette or downloaded copyright material online, purchased movies/music while on holiday in Asia?

1. Yes, multiple right now
2. Currently not owning a vehicle, but used to sit on 140 on motorways regularly
3. Not today........... <_<
4. I got run over by a falcon at age 12, I won.
5. Not within the last 3 years....

My main issue with stolen kegs is not that the brewery is without a keg, but more the unfortunate publican who may end up incurring costs if kegs keep disappearing from his premises...

And what of the Dairy Co-Op, or perhaps even the milko?

Hmm, they probably don't have milko's anymore. Back in the day, I wonder if the glass milk bottles remained the property of the Co-Op........

How you been anyway, Pollux? Hope you're well.

I found all my milk crates on the side of the road, finders keepers...

I say the same for kegs, if you happen to find one randomly dumped in a park quite a distance from a pub, then I say it's yours....

Off-topic: Note too bad Jase, oh and sorry mate I kind of served that 6pk I had for our swap to my mum while she was down as I was low on stock....

Wasn't overly awesome anyways.

All of my pickaxe long necks are branded: Property of the Adelaide bottle Co., P/L . I say they are mine. Shhh...

All of my pickaxe long necks are branded: Property of the Adelaide bottle Co., P/L . I say they are mine. Shhh...

Does that mean that my mum was wasting her time when she sewed my name on all my clothes as a kid?

Should I ask her to stop?

1. Yes, they make for great storage in the garage, cable tied together. They were aqquired by me as the Milk Company never took them away from the Restaurant.
  2. Yes, not on purpose though.
  3. Yes.
  4. Yes
  5. Yes
I did aqquire my 1 50ltr Keggle from the Tip Recycling Centre for $20, I promised not to tell, he didnt care..

CB

Anyone can apply for an ABN............ it's by no means a good indicator of legitimate business practice.
Hence my qualifier - "a company, not just some dude who has one for the wholesale prices" - you really only read half of each post don't ya Jase? Would you go selling stuff that could put your ABN status in jeopardy? What I meant was to find a business, shop front and all, that sells them. You're more likely to get a legal one if you can find such a business.

If you buy your watches from the guy on the street corner, don't be surprised if they're stolen. Go to a watch store though, I'd bet it isn't stolen (Cash/Crime Converters excepted).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back