Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm totally wrapped with this blonde. Probably start playing with the mash next time to get a drier finish, but I tells ya, for a beer that's around 8%, it's just to easy going down. Evidenced by the fact it's taken about five minutes to type this.
Belgian's are the shit. Really.

Dave....... simply stunning!

I have a lot of AHB members who meet me for the first time and say......... well...... your not a hobo after all :p

They think i look like my picture that's been there since i joined.

I look at your pic in the top left, and then at your picture of that beer and try and imaging you drinking from that glass.

PMSL :lol:

Landlord. I finally feel like im in the U.K again!

Cheers

IMG_0602.jpg

Dave....... simply stunning!

I have a lot of AHB members who meet me for the first time and say......... well...... your not a hobo after all :p

I look at your pic in the top left, and then at your picture of that beer and try and imaging you drinking from that glass.

PMSL :lol:

Cheers bulp and Tony. I'm blushing a little.

I need to get with the times and acquire some snifters and tulips though.
That crystal is part of a set. Also a wedding present. And fragile.
Lets face it. It's only a matter of time with me..

First post in this section, have taken plenty of photos of bbers that turned out nice but never get round to sharing. Made this clone of Jamil's Evil Twin for a friends engagement present when they came over for dinner. The photo (if it works) doesn't do it justice, beautiful and clear with a lovely red glow. The aroma is amazing and now 2 weeks after the night is nice and balanced. Shame there is only one or two glasses left in the keg. This is going to be my new house beer for a few a while to come.

IMG_20120709_184355.jpg

Evil Twin Clone (American Amber Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 12.0 (EBC): 23.7
Bitterness (IBU): 25.3 (Average)

82.25% Golden Promise Malt
8.94% Munich I
6.26% Caramalt
2.56% Caraaroma

0.4 g/L Nugget (13.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)
1.4 g/L Cascade (7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 68C for 70 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Cascade Pale Ale tribute, from a recipe that some chick from Cascade emailed an AHB member a few years ago "Of course this is beyond the ability of home brewers but just for the record, here is the recipe"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

20120711_183041.jpg

Cascade Pale Ale tribute, from a recipe that some chick from Cascade emailed an AHB member a few years ago "Of course this is beyond the ability of home brewers but just for the record, here is the recipe"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

20120711_183041.jpg

How's it taste?
Necked a six pack of Cascade PA on the weekend very quickly.
Did you use BB pale ale malt?

Ged

Washington AIPA
1058/1015 (5.7%)
67.4 IBU / 26.8 EBC

25l @ 70% efficiency

5.50 kg Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) 80.1 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) 7.3 %
0.40 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) 5.8 %
0.39 kg Wheat, Flaked 5.6 %
0.08 kg Black Malt (Simpsons) 1.2 %

60m - 30.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.70 %] 41.2 IBUs
20m - 20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] 14.7 IBUs
15m - 20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] 4.6 IBUs
10m - 10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.70 %] 5.0 IBUs
5m - 20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] 1.9 IBUs
0m - 20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] 0.0 IBUs
0m - 10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.70 %] 0.0 IBUs

Stepped mashed:
50(10) - 63(10) - 67(40) - 72(10) - 78(10)

From

Through

And

To

First time using Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire too. Yum! Was a hazy sort of morning off the back of tucking into this. The wheat gives it nice lacing all the way down the pint (and the next and..!) Very happy with this one, is a keeper, I got marmalade, others got pear/peach. Good balance, perfect copper colour, nice medium body too. Glad I didn't manage to quoff it all last night. The first of many AIPAs I think.
Glass is a bit dirty but easily clear enough for my tastes, just from 2 weeks of Cold crashing.

Cascade gives that first US-style citrus in the taste but the Columbus and Simcoe come through to give it more complexity/earthiness without going nuts on the tropical fruit thing.
This is more like an ESB with a hint of citrus or something, I'm no hophead, 67 IBU is enough for me.

How's it taste?
Necked a six pack of Cascade PA on the weekend very quickly.
Did you use BB pale ale malt?

Ged

BB Galaxy and 30% sugar, however rather than cane sugar I used 30% (by gravity points) of Maltose Rice Syrup, and it turned out super smooth with that slight sweetness you get in Cascade, and the POR really suit the brew (I used flowers) plus a Danish Lager yeast. I read a report from CUB written a few years ago which states that they use maltose syrups in many of their brews. Maltose is not unlike cane sugar but is a glucose-glucose rather than a glucose-fructose molecule so the yeast prefers it apparently.

BB Galaxy and 30% sugar, however rather than cane sugar I used 30% (by gravity points) of Maltose Rice Syrup, and it turned out super smooth with that slight sweetness you get in Cascade, and the POR really suit the brew (I used flowers) plus a Danish Lager yeast. I read a report from CUB written a few years ago which states that they use maltose syrups in many of their brews. Maltose is not unlike cane sugar but is a glucose-glucose rather than a glucose-fructose molecule so the yeast prefers it apparently.

Heu Bribie sent a PM this morning but doesn't appear anywhere. Is your mailbox full or aree you sort of suspended again <_<

Leftover Saison.

used about 50% wheat with a mix of aussie pale and Wey dark, some wey pils, some english ale i think.......... cant remember.

basicly i had all these bags with a kilo or 2 left in them so i milled them all and tipped in a jar of 3726 farmhouse ale yeast that had been in the fridge for 6 weeks.

let it run its course in the warm bar and its bloody fantastic!

malty, dry, tart but creamy smooth, great saison fruitiness in the finnish and a slight floral spice from Mt Hood hops.

LeftoverSaison1152x1728.jpg

Apparently my phone takes shit photos.

Either way, introducing my first All Grain BIAB, Irish Red.

It's probably not a particularly good beer, I mashed at 64 degrees (not intended) and Nottingham ate every last molecule of sugar it could find so serving it below 7-10 degrees is a bad idea as there's not a lot of malt character there. Serve a bit warm though and the malt starts coming through.

Colour is a fantastic red, specially with a light behind it.

Would like a little more body in it and a little less "coffee" as it's quite strong, although once the malt comes through it mellows a bit more into chocolate.

Only had 50g of Roast in it too....

I'll definitely try it again with a slightly higher mash temp though, as it is I'm ignoring my poor extract brews to drink this one..... :lol:

WP_000082.jpg

Ha, my workmates ol' man lives close to that brewery - I must get him to score me some pint glasses.
Beer looks good too...
I get my wife's mum to bring them back from the U.K every time she comes. She brings the beer for the glass as well, I really enjoy the Jail Ale nice drop.

Where you buy? Supermarket?

Where you buy? Supermarket?

Some Asian Grocery stores stock it cheaper than Coles where you can find it in the health food section at about $3.50 for 500g jar.

I read a report from CUB written a few years ago which states that they use maltose syrups in many of their brews. Maltose is not unlike cane sugar but is a glucose-glucose rather than a glucose-fructose molecule so the yeast prefers it apparently.

Yep.......... i used to work in a starch plant in Tamworth that made glucose syrup for a megaswill mod.

They take wheat starch, convert it to sugar with enzyme, filter it and run it through evaporators to make it a clear sugar syrup. They can control the fermetability of it via the enzyme conversion process. As far as i know the stuff for beer was almost 100% fermentable like dextrose, and fairly watery to make it easier to handle.

Beard was longer and one less tooth. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back