Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian golden strong ale.

Golden, Strong. Saaz (ie)..

DSC06419.jpg

I need to change my underwear.

Dave - looks nice, indeed, you'll have to post the recipe.

Sun's barely over the yardarm and you're hammering it already.

Goomba

The recipe was a piece of piss I adapted from the 'What works' section of Brew like a Monk, something like 80% Belgian pill's and 20% sugar (amber) with enough Goldings and Saaz thrown in to get it to around 30 IBU's.

90 min mash @ 65
90 min boil and Irish moss at 15min.
Pitched a liter of 1214 starter at 17 deg , raised to 24 after first week.

The real question is how did it turn out so clear?

Well it spent 3 weeks in the fermenter.
2 days crash chilling at 2 deg.
Transferred to cornys (I bottle using my beer tap) then the best part of 3 weeks again at 2 deg.
Bottled, then 2 weeks gassing up.

This wasn't exactly planned, but that's the way it went and certainly didn't hurt it. I'm tipping the extended chilling did the trick.
So there ya go. Patience seems to be the key.
How cruel..

@DKS, Cheers fella. I brewed 30L of this, and am attempting my first EIS'ing of a beer with the last 10L of it. However it could take a while getting a Bock up to EISBock level!

After the lads at the case swap put a considerable hole in this, I decided I should put it out of its misery.
Marzen.jpg

This is my first (and only so far...) lager. A Mrzen.
The mini keg is a converted Bitburger 5L keg (thanks to oldfartsbruhaus) and the sleeve is from fortybelow.com (no affiliation to either)

Crappy photo of a tasty Irish dry stout.

Photo0064.jpg

Dave, that ale is a thing of beauty - puts this to shame :)

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale
Commercial version on the left

30072011144.jpg

This is my Bitter APA from last week.

Issue I now have on hand is that I have 4 empty kegs, and at least a 7 day waituntil I have another one ready to go.

For this reason, I took a trip to Dan Murphys tonight to quench mythirst. Perhaps I have had my head undera rock for a while but I was surprised and so happy at the diverse range ofmicrobrewery and small scale commercial beers now available now.

I picked up a six pack of Gage Roads Sleeping Giant IPA,and a Brew Dog Punk IPA.

Brew Dog came as advertised as an aggressive beer butnot out of control by any means. VERYnice drop for a BS purchase.

The Sleeping Giant is a strange one. I enjoyed it thoroughly but it was not untilI came to drink a LCPA straight afterwards where I realised how bitter the IPAreally is. The LCPA tasted like, well,nothing afterwards.

I am impressed that this beer can carry so much bitternessand aroma over and above the LCPA (One of my fav mini commercial regulardrinks) and that I could not pick this up while indulging.

Has anyone else tried either of these IPAs?

Bitter_APA.PNG

ps, Rob V,

That is a smashing looking version of Smurto's GA.

Are you sure you did not hide the second bottle for the glass on the right :)

I hope I can get something that similar when I come to try. Have not done my first full AG yet.

Cheers,
GS

Hi GS

The Smurto GA recipe has never failed and is always on tap here :beerbang:

Cheers

ps, Rob V,

That is a smashing looking version of Smurto's GA.

Are you sure you did not hide the second bottle for the glass on the right :)

I hope I can get something that similar when I come to try. Have not done my first full AG yet.

Cheers,
GS

Remaining portion from our mini IIPA case swap on tap.

A tad harsh on the bitterness. Next version will need to up the malt a bit more.

DSCN4416.JPG

Treading water with K&K at the moment.. hanging to get into AG... but need to finish some home renos first.

This is a Coopers Dark Ale with 500g of LDME and 1kg BE2. Filtered, kegged and force carbed this evening.

US-05 at 18deg.

darkale.jpg

(Edit yeast info)

Looks good mate nothing wrong with that. Nice creamy head on that bad boy.

IMG_4280.JPG
Old ale, now 2 and a bit years in the bottle. All the treacle seems to have fermented out now as the carbonation is a bit higher and it has dried out even more since last year. Only three bottles left and I'm not sure how long I will keep them around for just yet.

Cracked my first bottle from my 2nd (1/2) batch of Dr Smurto's last night. Bugger me! Was empty before I could photo it! I wasn't sure whether this brewing thing was for me or not. Have done a few drinkable but nothing special kits and bits. My basic 1st BIAB stovetop beer is still tasting pretty ordinary. Possibly higher AA hops than the original recipe? It's too bitter, and I like a bitter beer. My 1st 1/2 batch of Dr Smurto's I stuffed up (too hot a mash - I'm guessing starch didn't convert to sugars. (FG 1.023, will be used for watering the lawn,...)
This one, WOW! And I think it may improve with a bit longer in the bottle - if I can stay away from it. Now I have to do some more thinking. 40 litre urn and a filter, or gas and 3v. Either way a decent mill will be required. And probably some kegs, and Co2, and a kegarator, and...........

10 minute PA. 400 gm Styrians at 10 minutes. This is my first time fermenting with Coopers bottle yeast. The pear of the Coopers yeast goes soooo well with the earth and spiciness of the Styrians.
This won't last long here...

109_0583.JPG

Latest posts

Back