Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better head than Heather Brooke :icon_chickcheers:

Just a simple partial mash with a tin of coopers wheat beer. Kilo of ale malt, kilo of wheat malt, mashed in my old grumpys partial bucket.

Didnt even add any finishing hops.

Fermented with wyeast 3068, just wanted a schofferhofer style for spring. About three weeks in the bottle and its delicious. Mouth watering infact :icon_drool2:

I dont full mash, just kits and partials. This one is up there with my best beer.

Not going to last till spring, so im putting another down quick smart. I know it's not the time of year for this style, but the schofferhofer hefe is my favourite beer bar none.

wheaty.jpg

My second go at a toucan stout + dark ale. This time I steeped various grains and added some extra wheat malt extract. Tasting much better than my first attempt did so early after bottling, and the first attempt was a fantastic stout. I reckon this one is going to be a killer stout in a month or so. :icon_cheers:

IMG_3923-1.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to take a photo before I started drinking. Much too eager to give this one a taste!!

It's meant to be a SMaSH EKG Ale with BB Ale, however some dry hopped Cascade found it's way into the fermenter :ph34r:

109_0562.JPG

Damn that sneaky cascade...

Makes me thirsty looking at that nice clear beer...mmm...beer

For sure, they are trying to sneak out of the US to the UK before s**t hits the fan

Pennywise, would you be able to post/send the recipe, been wanting to find an easy black ipa for a while.

Andreic what was youre reciepe for the dunkel ?

What temp did you ferment at ?

cheers rude

Pennywise, would you be able to post/send the recipe, been wanting to find an easy black ipa for a while.

For sure, here it is in all it's glory. Looking at the recipe on paper I'd think otherwise but this is bloody good. If I don't mind saying so myself

IPA kit
500g ldme
300g sugar
150g dark crystal
100g special roast
100g carafa special 3
100g roast barley
30g pale choc (left overs, won't make a diff if you add it or not really)
20g cascade @ 20
10g galaxy @ 20
10g cascade 10 min hot steep
5g galaxy 10 min hot steep
2 kit yeasts and another thrown in the boil for a few mins as nutrient

Boil was 6L with grain steepings and ldme, sugar thrown in with a couple of mins left on the boil

I pitched a little high, when I say a little I mean 26c, I shat myself once I realized but managed to get it down pretty quick in the fridge, Didn't seem to mind, fermented at 19. OG was 1040, FG 1008. Low on the OG but if I made it again (and I plan to) it keep it there. I'd love to say it needs more galaxy dry hopped, but I don't think it does, I really lov this beer and I'll be sad when the keg blows, which will be in a week at this rate.

HA!

Im so excited!!

My wife bought home some very rare beer

She worked for Barret Burston Malting (BBM) for about 3 years

For their 150 Years aneversary BBM got Matilda Bay to make a beer for the occasion

I have to Say it was bloody AWSOME

Wife told me it was a pilsner but to me it tasted like a Octoberfest beer anyhow who cares it was good I only got a 6Pack but I enjoyed every last drop.

SAM_0109.JPG

SAM_0108.JPG

SAM_0106.JPG

Maybe yr right raven, bit inebriated at time of writing not realy paying much attention. Anyhow I wouldent consider it a comercial beer eventhough its made my Matilda Bay. Its a one off not for sale. I was just lucky to get some

Yeah I hear that, certainly its in that 'grey area' being such a special release. 150 yrs is a grand effort nonetheless!

Andreic what was youre reciepe for the dunkel ?

What temp did you ferment at ?

cheers rude

Hi Rude,

recipe for my dunkelweizen was:
- 3.4kg dark wheat malt
- 2.0kg vienna
- mash at 43c for 20, then at 65c for an hour
- bittering to 14ibu with hallertauer (60 mins)
- OG was 1.050

fermented using whitelabs WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast at 17c

I bought a few commercial dunkelweizens for further "research" the other day. The erdinger was a little darker and richer, with a chocolate flavour not present in mine. The weihenstephaner I had was stale :( so my beer was way better!

Just drinking some more of this beer now. Its pretty good and easy drinking, but perhaps just lacking a little more complexity...

For sure, here it is in all it's glory. Looking at the recipe on paper I'd think otherwise but this is bloody good. If I don't mind saying so myself

IPA kit
500g ldme
300g sugar
150g dark crystal
100g special roast
100g carafa special 3
100g roast barley
30g pale choc (left overs, won't make a diff if you add it or not really)
20g cascade @ 20
10g galaxy @ 20
10g cascade 10 min hot steep
5g galaxy 10 min hot steep
2 kit yeasts and another thrown in the boil for a few mins as nutrient

Boil was 6L with grain steepings and ldme, sugar thrown in with a couple of mins left on the boil

I pitched a little high, when I say a little I mean 26c, I shat myself once I realized but managed to get it down pretty quick in the fridge, Didn't seem to mind, fermented at 19. OG was 1040, FG 1008. Low on the OG but if I made it again (and I plan to) it keep it there. I'd love to say it needs more galaxy dry hopped, but I don't think it does, I really lov this beer and I'll be sad when the keg blows, which will be in a week at this rate.

Cheers, will give this a crack when i have a free FV.

Belgian golden strong ale.

Golden, Strong. Saaz (ie)..

DSC06419.jpg

Back