Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feral's Karma Citra - kit copy :p

karmacitrakit1.jpg

Not quite bitter enough to be a black ipa, but with a whole pack of citra it almost gets there flavour wise.

1 can coopers pale ale, 1 can coopers real ale, 500g dry wheat extract, 300g carafa 2, 200g pale crystal, 200g dex, citra 30g @ 15, 30g @ 5 & 30g dry, US-05, 25l.
IBU 57.9, ABV 5.9% (estimated via Ian's spreadsheet)

mmm yummy, even my ag mate wanted another bottle. I will have to make a 'proper' version of this one day...

Here's a picture of my IPA from my "What the hell is wrong with my IPA" rant in my blog. Sadly it took me so long to get the light right so I could show a good indication of the color that the head dropped, but what the hell, you'll have to trust me when I say that the head is very dense and thick. This was kegged 1 week ago and had no finings in the mash, fermenter or keg.
Oh, I forgot to say it tastes nice too.

View attachment 47624

Looks fantastic Andrew, how about dropping a bottle off to me?

Here's a picture of my IPA from my "What the hell is wrong with my IPA" rant in my blog. Sadly it took me so long to get the light right so I could show a good indication of the color that the head dropped, but what the hell, you'll have to trust me when I say that the head is very dense and thick. This was kegged 1 week ago and had no finings in the mash, fermenter or keg.
Oh, I forgot to say it tastes nice too.

View attachment 47624

That makes me feel embarassed. My first kegged beer is so clear I can see through it, but that's out of this world.

At least I'm not a clarity freak - but still, that is a thing of beauty.

Goomba

Cheers, fellas.
Tony- I went with 40 and 10 with Tett (40 mins) Hallertau and Saaz (10 mins) and no chilled.
As a self-confessed ale addict, it's so difficult to wait for a pils. I'm going to put this in the WA comp and see how much I get flamed :D

Funky Schwartzbier
DSCN4519.JPG
Sour acetic aroma on the nose. Some mild chocolate in the background, very light bodied, with light to medium sourness, some dusty earthy tones with a floury/furry finish.

Further Lambic discussions here

This is my third brew, an Irish Red Ale. Tastes great, but it's only a month old.
The head isn't as creamy as it should be, but I'm working on that :)
2011-08-21%2019.06.52-1.jpg

My German Alt... Finally cleared in the keg and has a surprisingly Red tinge to it in the light..

Cracking beer though.

Alt.JPG

No pictures, full review to follow........

I usually wait at least 2 months before cracking a new brew BUT I just snuck a cheeky/early 'Thirsty Thursday' sample of my first attempt at a Kits & Bits American higher spec APA/IPA. It went as follows:

1 tin Coopers Pale Ale
1 tin Coopers Light Malt
0.5kg Wheat DME
300g Medium Crystal, steeped
12g EACH of Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook at 20 min boil
12g EACh of Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook dry hop Day 0
12g EACh of Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook dry hop Day 7
1 tsp of Gypsum (I have very soft water in my area and the hoppy beers love a bit of Gypsum)

US-05 at 17degC for 15 days then crash chilled for 3 days at 1.5 degC. Bottled with 1tsp of sucrose. 6% ABV

Been in the bottle 1 month and wow...........no WOW. C-hop-stravaganza on the nose, fruity aroma balanced with drying hop bitterness. Its not Stone Ruination but its an American style APA/IPA I could drink alot of. Probably needs a touch more base malt character, I saw that CB is selling Munich extract, maybe the ticket? Or I could head down the minimash road.......

Will post pics and full review soon.

Stew

PS. Warra, expect a bottle of this soon for a tasting

0148_Alter_Spalter.JPG
Pic of my latest Alt. Widely proclaimed as the best Alt on the Sunshine Coast ATM. ;)
The style police may think it's too dark but I can assure you it's (just) to style. :p

TP

View attachment 47886
Pic of my latest Alt. Widely proclaimed as the best Alt on the Sunshine Coast ATM
The style police may think it's too dark but I can assure you it's (just) to style

TP

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Looks the goods, Pete!

DrSGA1.jpg

My 2nd AG beer - Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. Done as a 1/2 size stovetop BIAB
Only 2 more bottles left... but about 21 litres fermenting...
It is actually very clear in the bottles, except a layer of crud in the bottom, but the only place they fit in the 'fridge is the door, and with 2 hungry teenagers here they usually get a bit cloudy by the time they are chilled. :(
When I tasted this brew, I realised I really could make delicious beer! Damn near as nice as any craft beer I could buy - but for a couple of bucks per bottle, instead of $4 -$5 + per stubbie.

Now I have the 40 litre urn. A flash new grain bag is on it's way, as is a mill, and a sack of base malt...
"Lucky" I don't have enough room here to set up a 3v system.
Brewing my own is saving me a fortune... :p

No pictures, full review to follow........

I usually wait at least 2 months before cracking a new brew BUT I just snuck a cheeky/early 'Thirsty Thursday' sample of my first attempt at a Kits & Bits American higher spec APA/IPA. It went as follows:

1 tin Coopers Pale Ale
1 tin Coopers Light Malt
0.5kg Wheat DME
300g Medium Crystal, steeped
12g EACH of Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook at 20 min boil
12g EACh of Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook dry hop Day 0
12g EACh of Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook dry hop Day 7
1 tsp of Gypsum (I have very soft water in my area and the hoppy beers love a bit of Gypsum)

US-05 at 17degC for 15 days then crash chilled for 3 days at 1.5 degC. Bottled with 1tsp of sucrose. 6% ABV

Been in the bottle 1 month and wow...........no WOW. C-hop-stravaganza on the nose, fruity aroma balanced with drying hop bitterness. Its not Stone Ruination but its an American style APA/IPA I could drink alot of. Probably needs a touch more base malt character, I saw that CB is selling Munich extract, maybe the ticket? Or I could head down the minimash road.......

Will post pics and full review soon.

Stew

PS. Warra, expect a bottle of this soon for a tasting

I'll look forward to it.
We'll do a swap with some of my latest brews.

My latest Dunkelweizen, so easy to drink, lots of malty body, delicious.

IMG_0992.jpg

Back