Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malty Cultural said:
Did you hot or cold smoke the malt and which wood did you use? Oh, and how much smoked malt did you use?

I have made a beautiful smoked porter with 20% rauchmalt, but I'd like to try smoking my own, possibly with an Australian wood like redgum.
Hi MC,
I used cherry and hot smoked at ~100C. I dampened the grain first, just so the smoke would cling a bit better, and the heat obviously dried it out again.
I used 15% smoked MO, 65% unsmoked, 10% Munich, 5% Wheat Malt, 3% Light Crystal and 2% Choc.
Magnum to 35IBU, late Bramling Cross to 24IBU.

Redgum would be nice too. You're thinking another porter with the Redgum?
Dark Aussie lager with a smidge of smoke, maybe? That'd be a good Autumn beer.

Coodgee said:
Honest question... What's the rationale behind adding LDM (I assume this stands for light dried malt extract) to bump up the ABV? I wouldn't put extract anywhere near my all grain brews, except for the starter. seems to defeat the purpose?
I bet you wouldn't even know it's there. A brewer at Bacchus told me they use it if they miss their target o.g. I've brewed plenty of partial mash beers that have tasted just as good as all grain brews. The biggest difference is less control over fermentability.

Danwood said:
Hi MC,
I used cherry and hot smoked at ~100C. I dampened the grain first, just so the smoke would cling a bit better, and the heat obviously dried it out again.
I used 15% smoked MO, 65% unsmoked, 10% Munich, 5% Wheat Malt, 3% Light Crystal and 2% Choc.
Magnum to 35IBU, late Bramling Cross to 24IBU.

Redgum would be nice too. You're thinking another porter with the Redgum?
Dark Aussie lager with a smidge of smoke, maybe? That'd be a good Autumn beer.
Thanks for that. I love just a hint of smoke in dark beers, so it will probably find its way into porter.

Kingy said:
Saison/Brett blend
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446789294.581426.jpg
Snap ! How good is 3031 ?

Mine is Motueka/Citra to 35ish IBU, with a dry hop of 14g Citra/28g Motueka.

Pineapple and citrus everywhere you look ! I briefly considered a bit of toasted coconut along with the dry hop...Piña Colada beer. Maybe next time.
Glad I have a few vials of this in stasis in the freezer.

image.jpg

Danwood said:
Snap ! How good is 3031 ?

Mine is Motueka/Citra to 35ish IBU, with a dry hop of 14g Citra/28g Motueka.

Pineapple and citrus everywhere you look ! I briefly considered a bit of toasted coconut along with the dry hop...Piña Colada beer. Maybe next time.
Glad I have a few vials of this in stasis in the freezer.

Great yeast, my first one was a standard Farm House Saison. Looking forward to it after aging a few months. Also glad there's a few vials put away. Going to do a Rosella Saison with it next.

DSCF09321.JPG

I might put a couple of bottles away, just to see. The hops will obviously dull down waiting for the Brett to wake up.

I suppose what I've made is an oxymoronic beer, one that's designed to be aged, but...ermm....also drunk fresh.

Oxymoron Saison...love it !

My first higher gravity pale ale, used suggestion from Gladfield Malts catalogue. American ale, wheat and toffee to 1.060, 60 ibu with simcoe, equinox and amarillo pellets with a wack of homegrown chinook. Really reeaaally enjoying this one!

1447144512140.jpg

Chinook cascade APA, tastes brilliant after 3 weeks in the bottle... was still a bit harsh at 2 weeks. Dunno whats causing the monster head 6%Caramunich 6%Carapils 12% wheat?

It even forms a head in the bottle before i pour the second glass....

1447209195207.jpg

12% wheat will give better head, so too the 6% carapils....my guess is its over carbonated.

Did you bulk prime or add sugar drops ?

Did you bottle cold or warm beer ?

Yeah it is very fizzy, pseudo bulk priming bottled warm.... i did wonder if perhaps i didn't let fermentation finish fully..... it had gone past target FG but I didnt ensure it was stable for 3 days....

Les's Schneider Weiss from the recipe DB. Amazing beer. Second cube, this one fermented at 18, much better balance than the first cube fermented at ambient. Single infusion mash (biab) and a lower OG of 1047, finished at 1010 after a week.

image.jpg

Robust Porter - 6%

Malt bill include 24% brown malt and 6.5% pale choc. Very upfront flavour but not over the top. It ended up a little bit sweeter then I was aiming for but the bitterness and dryness of the brown malt balance it. Best porter I've made so far!

1447331165512.jpg

pvan340 said:
Les's Schneider Weiss from the recipe DB. Amazing beer. Second cube, this one fermented at 18, much better balance than the first cube fermented at ambient. Single infusion mash (biab) and a lower OG of 1047, finished at 1010 after a week.
I love that recipe. Haven't made a wheat beer in a while you have got me thinking....

S&W Garden Ale uses Ella, so you've probably made something mid way between that and Pacific.

Sound pretty bloody good.

Much peach coming through from the Ella ? I've never used it, myself.

Maybe a little peach or maybe I'm very suggestible. To be honest, the packet was labelled Stella, which gives an indication of its age but it has been stored in the freezer since purchase. In any case, nice bitterness with some lovely fruity flavours. Probably even better with fresher hops.

'merican Wheat.

50:50 BB Ale and BB Wheat.

Horizon for bittering, Chinook and Simcoe at flameout, Chinook and Sorachi Ace in the cube.

Delicious.

med_gallery_30557_1283_704517.jpg

Munich Helles, been lagering for a few months now. Goes nicely with some homemade Korean Fried Chicken and Kimchi

22588901949_aa86cfbbd9_b.jpg

So gelatin works...

Galaxy/melba pale ale. Vaguely inspired by a stone & wood Pacific ale.

79% Pale malt, 12% rye malt, 4.5% crystal 60L & 4.5% carapils.

Bittered with magnum, late additions of cascade, galaxy and melba. Cube hopped with galaxy and dry hopped with galaxy and cascade. All up ~45 IBU.

OG 1.048, FG 1.012 with WLP041

Tasted more like a s&w prior to adding gelatin... Might have lost some of the aromatics.

1447470903369.jpg

Back