Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice rainy day for a couple of English brown ales. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446523353.381138.jpg

Danwood said:
Dry Redgum/Blackbox Mead.

Just honey, yeast nutrient, yeast (Wyeast dry mead) and water. 1071 OG. 1002 FG.

High carbonation and a little sweetness left over gives it a fruity/floral champagne quality.

It's amazing just how much floral flavour is masked by the inherent sweetness in honey. Strip that away with yeasties and there it is ! Plus alcohol is also present...yay !
I've got a full keg of this for summer, happy days.
looks unbelievable mate! definitely champagne-esque. how long was it fermenting for and at what temperature?

the 1602 american wheat.

trad ale, wheat, a pinch of caramalt
citra to 22 odd ibu and dry hopped at 1.5g/l
us-05

sexual
1602americanwheat.jpg

fletcher said:
the 1602 american wheat.

trad ale, wheat, a pinch of caramalt
citra to 22 odd ibu and dry hopped at 1.5g/l
us-05

sexual
attachicon.gif
1602americanwheat.jpg
How does the traditional ale male compare with a pilsner malt for this ?

I've only used pils for AM wheats so far

Looks great btw

Spohaw said:

Looks great btw
I have done a number of these styles using JW Ale, Golden Promise Ale, 2 Row Ale and found that the pils malt to give the lightest colour.

Either malt provides a great beer yet the colour is better and lighter when using pils. Next Bulk Buy im getting Heildelberg malt to see how that fares as the organic pilsner would be the next choice for that ultra light hazed wheat malt appearance.

Try it with ale malt.

I'll make it with trad ale instead of pils this weekend then to see how it goes

Have you tried it with Maris otter ?

fletcher said:
looks unbelievable mate! definitely champagne-esque. how long was it fermenting for and at what temperature?
Thanks, Fletch...short answer, bloody ages !

I got a very low viability pack of Wy Dry Mead (~5%) and stepped the buggery out of it. I sort of lost count of numbers, but at a guess I ended up with ~700bn cells.
I got 7 vials out of the finished starter, each with 25mil of compacted yeast solids. With beer yeast, apparently 22-25mil equals 100bn cells if fresh, but cell sizes can vary wildly from strain to strain, and this will affect numbers.
Anyway, I pitched two vials (maybe 200bn cells ??) at 16C with O2. The batch was 22L at 1071 OG.
I left it for 3 weeks while I was away working on the bees, expecting it to be pretty much finished after that time. It was only half way through !
So I bumped it 1 C a week for the next 3 weeks, then racked it off to finish the last few points.
It finished at 1002.
I erred on the cool side of ferment temp. because I haven't used the yeast before and wanted to ensure it was very neutral. It is fine so I'd probably ferment at 17-18C next time, just to hurry it along a bit.

DrSmurtos Golden Ale.

Wheat version, all amarillo.
My first go at an AG version of this, will try the rye (latest?) version at some stage this summer.

med_gallery_30557_1283_275468.jpg

Smoked ESB

This home-smoked Maris Otter malt flavour is really coming into it's own after a few weeks in the keg.

It's got a nice, mellow smokiness that I was struggling to pick up a couple of weeks ago.

Quite tasty.

Terrible photo, sorry.

image.jpg

The other half of my accidental american brown is my go to IPA. Simco, Amarillo and Columbus in the cube and dry hopped. LDM added to bump the abv, brings it to 6.5%. Really hard to have only one at lunch time!

image.jpg

Danwood said:
Smoked ESB

This home-smoked Maris Otter malt flavour is really coming into it's own after a few weeks in the keg.

It's got a nice, mellow smokiness that I was struggling to pick up a couple of weeks ago.

Quite tasty.

Terrible photo, sorry.
Did you hot or cold smoke the malt and which wood did you use? Oh, and how much smoked malt did you use?

I have made a beautiful smoked porter with 20% rauchmalt, but I'd like to try smoking my own, possibly with an Australian wood like redgum.

pvan340 said:
The other half of my accidental american brown is my go to IPA. Simco, Amarillo and Columbus in the cube and dry hopped. LDM added to bump the abv, brings it to 6.5%. Really hard to have only one at lunch time!
Honest question... What's the rationale behind adding LDM (I assume this stands for light dried malt extract) to bump up the ABV? I wouldn't put extract anywhere near my all grain brews, except for the starter. seems to defeat the purpose?

no pic, but
Sierra Nevada - River Ryed Rye IPA

not bad but needs more rye and more hops ;)

Spohaw said:

Looks great btw
really nice mate. it was a 65/35 split and i actually prefer the ale malt over the pilsner. just personal taste but it just has a 'rougher, fuller' feel and flavour to me. i know that's completely subjective, and has no basis in proper flavour note-taking. the pilsner version felt smoother and finer in the mouth, even with the same mash temps and finishing gravity and it wasn't what i was after. was still a top notch beer all the same but i wanted more of a high-wheaty pale ale of sorts and i think the ale malt gave me that.

Back