What Do You Do With Your Waste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with your spent grain?

• Rubbish bin?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Compost?

• Pet/animal food?

• Pile behind the shed?

• Other? Please explain.

• Total voters

Ash in Perth

Barrow Boys Brewing
Reaction score
Brewing all grain creates a lot of solid waste, what does every one do with theirs?

My grain goes to a mate with chickens and my trub gets flushed.

Ash

Trub goes down the sewerage, the spent Grain goes into the green waste, so it's like compost, but off-site (so I voted other). Occasionally the grain becomes dog treats too

Spent grain to compost/green waste

Trub - drain pipe then to sewer...

+1 for compost

On the dog side, grains doesn't seem to hurt them but hops will possibly put them in a bad state

so keep the waste away from your pets but

reuse recycle as garden food through composting

Kleiny

+1 to the possible issue with hops and dogs(I dont what my dog possibly getting acute overheating). So the grain goes around the trees and garden as mulch, after cooling, andthe hops/trub go in the compost(that is sealed and away from dogs availablility).

All on the ground. Trub in the garden, grain spread out under a big old tree in the backyard. At the moment that pretty much dissolves into all the fallen leaves.

Read the thread title, and finally I thought I'd found some like-minded individuals, and then I open the thread only find that it's actually about brewing. :rolleyes:

compost heap.

Trub down the drain. Spent grain in the compost. I'm interested to hear how people stop their compost bins getting stinky - mine's decidedly on the nose the next day. I guess I need some more dry matter in their at the same time.

jonw

Yep you need to throw some more newspaper in their and make sure its getting plenty of O2

Turn it over a few more times if your compost bin is not aerated enough

Funny i was gonna start a thread like this earlier today
Just finished off my 1st double batch today but already got a steady supply of ppl wanting my spent grain from previous brews

50% was going to the father in-law for his chooks(which in return i end up getting nearly a carton a week back.. not a bad pay off) and the eggs taste great but im sure hes not going to want more tehn a few kilos a week for em though
The other 50% was going to to a mate thats trapping pigs and goats up on one of his properties. Im hoping that will pay off very soon too :p

Just found out that another wants some for feeding up his racing pigeons too .. oh well i heard they dont taste too bad done with a bit of red wine and garlic LOL

Tom

Trub goes down the drain.

Grain goes on the school gardens across the road.

I must admit though my 15mo decided he really like the spent grain today as i found him picking at every time my back was turned

Oh and forgot to mention the SWMBO took 100g of grain today to make a wholemeal/crushedgrain bread that tastes bloody great

Tom

This is the first time I've heard about hops being dangerous for pets. Did a quick online search and found one website and the suggestion that it is unsubtantiated.

Does anyone have any further info? I just throw mine in a compost heap and occassionally on the garden with the rest of the bits and pieces. I have two cats and have been doing this for a while. Neither seem interested and neither seem to have suffered any ill effects.

Would appreciate any extra links or information.

Manticle, Haven't heard anything about cats, in fact have heard of cats eating pellets, but there was something on some 9 or so reported cases of dogs suffering a Hyperthermia temp reaction to eating hop flowers that caused them to die from overheating within 24 or so hrs. Search hops killing dogs in google.
From wikipedia on dog health. Note: this is wikipedia, not a scientific source, and it does not effect all dogs, only some. Just like only some humans suffer severe allegic reactions to bee stings etc.

Hops, a plant used in making beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.

Needless to say, I play it safe, not sorry. :D

trub and crud goes on the mango near the brewshed and the chooks, guinea fowl, geese, muscovy ducks and runner ducks get rid of 5 kg of grain in about 4 nano seconds, buggers don't even wait until it cools sometimes, and yes they are well fed.

cheers
Yard

Just emailed the lort smith animal hospital so hopefully I can find out if hops are safe for kittys. Also and issue for if and when my freshly planted hops start to sprout.

All straight out on the lawn for me , The bird have a field day with it and so do the kids chasing the birds and hey you know what I get beer so that is the circle of life ... almost :p

AW

BTW Arsenal v utd tonight come on you GOOOOONERS!!!!!

Latest posts

Back