What Do You Do With Your Waste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with your spent grain?

• Rubbish bin?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Compost?

• Pet/animal food?

• Pile behind the shed?

• Other? Please explain.

• Total voters
BTW Arsenal v utd tonight come on you GOOOOONERS!!!!!

Indian Runners notwithstanding,

Good luck this afternoon, you southern softy... and Utd has a capital U....

What did we do with our waste - let Real Madrid recycle...

[snip].... but there was something on some 9 or so reported cases of dogs suffering a Hyperthermia temp reaction to eating hop flowers that caused them to die from overheating within 24 or so hrs. Search hops killing dogs in google.
From wikipedia on dog health. Note: this is wikipedia, not a scientific source, and it does not effect all dogs, only some. Just like only some humans suffer severe allegic reactions to bee stings etc.

can I rely on that?

I was desperately searching for a remedy that cures neighbours barking dog. Now Ive found it ;)

Im digging holes in the backyard and put in the waste.

can I rely on that?

I was desperately searching for a remedy that cures neighbours barking dog. Now Ive found it ;)

Im digging holes in the backyard and put in the waste.

I wouldnt, Murphy's law says the dog will be one of them that doesnt react, it'll get drunk, and bark twice as much. :p

Grain goes on the front garden to keep the Jehovahs witnesses at bay :lol: and the trub/hops go straight down the drain/sewerage.

Grains dug through the vege patch. I need to fork it over straight away, otherwise our Pug would pig out on it till she made herself sick.
Trub/hops onto the front lawn.

All of it in the garden - in a spot that the dog can't get to. I've read that the spent hops in trub aren't healthy for dogs and I know that spent grain gives my dog constipation. :)

Grain raked into vegie patch. Dog loves it. Hop trub into the compost bin

used to just throw it all on the garden - have taken to composting for the last couple of years. It actually breaks down really quick in the compost, but obviously adds a bit of moisture. As a side note if your compost is getting too wet you can add shredded paper to it

Normally the chooks get my spent grain but since a fox got them last night will go on the compost pile. :(

Trub etc goes all around the place on various patches in the garden.

Manticle - cats are fine with hops, mine sniff and occasionally lick the trub and don't seem interested in the hop plants. They love the grain tho, one climbed in the mash tun after i had emptied it and was licking away!

I spread mine over the back lawn, I have hydrophobic rock hard ground. The spent grain breaks down and creates a fine mulch for the lawn. The grass grows over the grain greener than ever.

Gavo.

Chuck the spent grain over the fence onto the sand dunes. The brush turkeys love it.
Not sure if they loved the last lot which I forgot to get rid off for 22 days. People walking past along the walkway track must have thought there was a decomposing body on the dunes somewhere. :icon_vomit: :p
Spent hops & trub into the gardens.

TP

@Dr Smurto: cheers for that. I was a little concerned I might inadvertently poison one of them. Couldn't do that to my brewing assistants.

I should have added more options, but too be honest I would not have though of leaving for bush turkeys.

Im not sure about dogs, but at work our trub goes into the mix with spent grain which goes to a cattle farmer. They love it.

Grain goes on the front garden to keep the Jehovahs witnesses at bay :lol: and the trub/hops go straight down the drain/sewerage.

Does that work? will it keep those bloody phone service/power service sellers away too?

If so, another great reason for everyone to go allgrain.

Compost everything for me - mind you the cockroaches are getting damned huge from the stuff...

I'm curious though: Has anyone ever attempted to use the spent grain in baking?

Cheers.

I was taking my grain round to The Big Burper who also lives on Bribie, his chooks loved it but he found that barley products are not too good for chooks as it gives them stick cloaca (sounds disgusting) and he found that after a few feeds they were suffering from that problem as well, so it's back to the compost.

Fourstar (and anyone) the thing about Witnesses is that only 144k of them at any one time are going to heaven when the new Jerusalem rises from the ground after Armageddon, the other members (called 'the other sheep') will be the workforce waiting on the 144,000 'true anointed'. Jehovahs are always aware, and the other sheep pretty cranky, about this class distinction within the witnesses.

Of course we of the damned aren't supposed to know anything about this trade secret.

So the way to really freak them out is to say "I'd love to talk to you but I know a couple of the 144,000 True Anointed and I get my religious instructions from them, thank you". Try it next time and watch their eyes darting from right to left as they desperately seek an escape route to get away from you. Works every time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back