What Beer Style Would Be Considered Classic Australian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^ Out of print, according to the Aust. Publisher database. Not really surprising since that little Aussie publisher was swallowed up by a french Goliath a few years ago.

Edit: Book is at bottom of previous page
Book is "The Breweries of Australia A History"

Here in the UK we only see Fosters and Castlemaine. Mayby thats why homebrewing seems bigger in Auss.

DK, we see the same here in different guises .. still all megaswill .. same sh*t, different blowflies. The size of the population dictates brewing - given the mass markets of Europe and therefore the availablity of different beer styles in closer proximity to the drinker, its amazing anyone there actually home brews. If you'd prefer to drink your homebrew instead of Fosters or Castlemaine, then you'd see why so many of us prefer to do the same.

I think that those of us in Australia who homebrew are displaying our rebellious side in bucking a system we are not entirely happy with.

Actually, Dennis, you are in a good position to comment on whether the low malt flavour, no hop aroma of Fosters et al. is "the classic Australian beer". Given that the brews you sample there are brewed under licence in Europe, but no doubt you have tried Fosters etc. Is it the "iconic" style you think of as "aussie" or is it too similiar to what comes out of Europe to be thought of as any difference ?

Here in the UK we only see Fosters and Castlemaine. Mayby thats why homebrewing seems bigger in Auss.

As a pom migrant in the 70s I have drunk Aussie beers on both sides of the planet and can report:

Up to the early 80s a wide range of Aussie beers were available in the UK, mostly as a result of the draft dodge (Vietnam War) and the subsequent establishment of tens of thousands of Aussies living in places like Kangaroo Valley in London. Huge amounts of Aussie beer, vegemite etc were imported. See Fosters swilling Barry Mackenzie....

I drank quite a few and they were really nice, a bit sweetish, especially the Cascade of the time, and Fosters was a tasty drop comparable to any of the European brews like Carlsberg or Heineken. And certainly miles better than the appalling UK lagers of the era such as Harp and Skol. They were the full strength 5% imported brew.

John Elliott then took over Courage in the UK and they decided to stop importing and do a BUL version, around 4% ABV. Rival brewer Allied Brewers (Tetley, Ansell, IndCoope) retorted by getting the rights on XXXX and they too did a BUL 4%. And so it has remained since then. I have drunk both in the UK in recent years and they are very reminiscent of Carlton Mid and XXXX Gold respectively, i.e. nothing to write home about. It's a pity because even what we refer to as Megaswill would probably sell very well indeed in the UK and American Market if we exported it directly as 4.6% half litre cans rather than doing BUL. It would be a nice little earner for the Australian economy.

It's a pity because even what we refer to as Megaswill would probably sell very well indeed in the UK and American Market if we exported it directly as 4.6% half litre cans rather than doing BUL. It would be a nice little earner for the Australian economy.

But think of the beer miles.

But think of the beer miles.

Doesn't seem to bother Coles (Oettinger, Bavaria, Hollandia) or Woolies (Amsterdam Mariner). Still it's a pity that in the UK they consider Fosters and Fourex to be mid strengths.

<ABBREV> Sorry for Cooper's but it would barely rank outside SA and to a smaller extent Victoria I would think. Don't get me wrong I would consider Coopers uniquely Australia in style but ask the average punter and one of the three mementioned above would be the answer from Mr Joe Public.
</ABBREV>
Cheers

Chappo
Seriously, Chappo. Coopers are making inroads in NSW markets and probably most other states and territories.
Coopers PA is available in most pubs in Newcastle, and is outselling the VB and Tooheys products (at least in a few venues) 2-3 nights a week.
The big boys (or girls) are scared.

As for a classic Oz style, what about the Hunter Old. Designed to slake the hearty thirst of Hunter coal miners.
Surely it's not a porter, or a brown style, in any classic sense.

My 2 cents worth
Les

Seriously, Chappo. Coopers are making inroads in NSW markets and probably most other states and territories.

Over the last year or so, Ive noticed that well over half of pubs here have Coopers PA as one of their 'standard' taps. Sparkling ale even turns up every now and then.

Coopers PA is available in most pubs in Newcastle, and is outselling the VB and Tooheys products (at least in a few venues) 2-3 nights a week.
The big boys (or girls) are scared.

+1 In Vic Coopers can't get most into pubs on tap as CUB/Tooheys has a chokehold, but their packaged beer is in most Vic Metro pubs.

Plus every Supermarket Liquor Store without exception so they're very well distributed down here in Mexico - Coopers Pale & Sparkling available in Safeway Liquor, Liquorland (Coles), plus all the regular haunts (First Choice, Dan Murphys etc).

You'd struggle to find a Coopers Extra Stout Long Neck in most, but sparkling and pale are everywhere.

Hopper.

As for a classic Oz style, what about the Hunter Old. Designed to slake the hearty thirst of Hunter coal miners.
Surely it's not a porter, or a brown style, in any classic sense.

My 2 cents worth
Les

I agree Les.

I regret the day Alan Bond closed the Newcastle Brewery. I used to have people bring me back a case of Hunter Old whenever they went to the Vineyards for the weekend. It was impossible to buy in Sydney then.

To me it was a dark (Black) Ale. Tooheys Old is a very poor relative of the Hunter Old.

Regards

Graeme

DK, we see the same here in different guises .. still all megaswill .. same sh*t, different blowflies. The size of the population dictates brewing - given the mass markets of Europe and therefore the availablity of different beer styles in closer proximity to the drinker, its amazing anyone there actually home brews. If you'd prefer to drink your homebrew instead of Fosters or Castlemaine, then you'd see why so many of us prefer to do the same.

I think that those of us in Australia who homebrew are displaying our rebellious side in bucking a system we are not entirely happy with.

Actually, Dennis, you are in a good position to comment on whether the low malt flavour, no hop aroma of Fosters et al. is "the classic Australian beer". Given that the brews you sample there are brewed under licence in Europe, but no doubt you have tried Fosters etc. Is it the "iconic" style you think of as "aussie" or is it too similiar to what comes out of Europe to be thought of as any difference ?
I started brewing in the 1970s because I lived in a bit of a desert for decent beers, also I liked the idea of having draught
beer at home. With the coming of CAMRA things got better but by then I was hooked, brewing had become a passion. But you are dead right we are spoilt for choice. Hard for me to comment on Fosters, only ever tried the UK brew [several years ago] and it was utter piss. I`m sure it must be a lot better in auss. Never tried Castlemaine.

In the papers this morning castlemaine is to be discontinued being brewed in the UK.

In the papers this morning castlemaine is to be discontinued being brewed in the UK.
I don't know if (whoever took over Allied Brewers) had their hearts in the product, I think it was more a knee jerk reaction to Courage (now Heineken of course) having such success with Fosters. When I was last visiting the rellies about 8 years ago you couldn't get away from the Fosters but I rarely saw XXXX - despite those old ad campaigns such as "Aussies wouldn't give a XXXX about anything else" and stereotyped bush blokes with corked hats. Anyway it might open up an avenue for some real Australian Beers to be imported into the UK. I know there's any amount of Coopers beer kits sent there, have you ever run across Coopers Pale or Sparkling Ales?

I don't know if (whoever took over Allied Brewers) had their hearts in the product, I think it was more a knee jerk reaction to Courage (now Heineken of course) having such success with Fosters. When I was last visiting the rellies about 8 years ago you couldn't get away from the Fosters but I rarely saw XXXX - despite those old ad campaigns such as "Aussies wouldn't give a XXXX about anything else" and stereotyped bush blokes with corked hats. Anyway it might open up an avenue for some real Australian Beers to be imported into the UK. I know there's any amount of Coopers beer kits sent there, have you ever run across Coopers Pale or Sparkling Ales?

Never done a kit in my life. I take it the pale and sparkling ales are commercial ? if so never seen them in the UK.

Never done a kit in my life. I take it the pale and sparkling ales are commercial ? if so never seen them in the UK.
They are amongst the few real ales in Australia (that is, bottled variety) and are bottle conditioned with live yeast. They are hangovers from Victorian times but have made a huge resurgence since the 1970s. Very smooth with low hop character but a bready, yeasty taste. Most people drink them 'rolled' in the bottle to raise the sediment and drink cloudy, and the yeast, being the same strain that Coopers use in Primary, is often cultured by home brewers for Australian Ales. Coopers encourage this, lovely people that they are :icon_cheers:

coopers.jpg

I've just noticed that in the above picture there's a kangaroo emblem on the neck of the bottle, which we don't have on the domestic bottles, I guess that would be an export bottle, maybe USA but I don't know if they export to the UK yet.

From an ex pom it'd have to be Fosters. I used to drink it over there and the poms still drink it and love it. Thats all they think we drink. That would have to be the classic Australian from an overseas perspective. I remember when I first got here I used to drink Tooheys Red! Loved it! Dont really hear (or see) much about it nowadays.
Cheers
Steve

I am afraid that if the answer is Fosters I do not like the question.

View attachment 27820

I've just noticed that in the above picture there's a kangaroo emblem on the neck of the bottle, which we don't have on the domestic bottles, I guess that would be an export bottle, maybe USA but I don't know if they export to the UK yet.
That's what I saw on the USA bottles. The 'Red Star Tavern' in Newport News, Virginia (tiny little town with three bars and a free-electron laser/particle accelerator) serves Pale, Sparkling and Dark (and when the AU$ did well, at a decent price too). Then again, there's so many Aussies working at the lab there that it's not really surprising.

From an ex pom it'd have to be Fosters. I used to drink it over there and the poms still drink it and love it. Thats all they think we drink. That would have to be the classic Australian from an overseas perspective. I remember when I first got here I used to drink Tooheys Red! Loved it! Dont really hear (or see) much about it nowadays.
Cheers
Steve

I dont mind a carton of Toohey's Red either, went into a bottle shop the other day and asked for a cartoon and the bloke said "we rarely stock red these days"....

Red used to be a cheaper beer, now its as dear as New or Old. $38 carton out here in the bush.

Back