What Beer Style Would Be Considered Classic Australian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are amongst the few real ales in Australia (that is, bottled variety) and are bottle conditioned with live yeast. They are hangovers from Victorian times but have made a huge resurgence since the 1970s. Very smooth with low hop character but a bready, yeasty taste. Most people drink them 'rolled' in the bottle to raise the sediment and drink cloudy, and the yeast, being the same strain that Coopers use in Primary, is often cultured by home brewers for Australian Ales. Coopers encourage this, lovely people that they are :icon_cheers:

View attachment 27820

I've just noticed that in the above picture there's a kangaroo emblem on the neck of the bottle, which we don't have on the domestic bottles, I guess that would be an export bottle, maybe USA but I don't know if they export to the UK yet.

I noticed that Label when i was living in Edinburgh for 8 months last year....I use to go to to the OZ Bar near grave yard bobbys and drink pale and Sparkling! it was 3 quid a bottle!!!
As for what i think is Australian Beer...Well a good Australian Beer is Coopers sparkling and pale ale!!! But id say what are the more popular Beers are Thooys Extra Dry, Carlton Draught, XXXX and the old "Vagianl BackWash" (VB)
Carlton Draught and VB are at most pubs about $1 cheaper per glass on tap! and there cartons are cheaper then coopers to! i think a lot of "common" drinkers put money before taste!

Though now days In Australia these "low carb" beers are becomming very popular! I personaly think there not the best! ezy to slam 10 or so of them back on a hot day.....but not what one would be looking for inorder to find a "tru" Beer experiance!
Come to think of it i did not see any "low carb" Beers in europe or while in the U.K.!

Back