What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, brewing classic styles was the other reference I used for this recipe design. Jamil uses approx 200g special roast and another 100ishg of crystal 120 with an OG of 1.038 I think, so I figured I'm close enough....

Inspired by a Raspberry Gose I had at Brisbane Brewing Co in West End, thought I would try my hand at a Raspberry Wheat. Not sure how sour I will make it but I will start off with a mash pH of 5.2 and probably a similar sparge water pH and go from there. I hear the raspberries will make for quite a tart beer as it is, and I will be mashing pretty cool at 66. If I decide to sour some more it will be with lactic acid in the keg.

note the recipe EBC of 5.2, I got the two palest malts I could find for this one. Aiming for a cloudy pink beer. Plan to add the raspberries into a hop bag in secondary. Also going to no chill this one, my first ever. The fermentation fridge is full and this seems like the perfect beer to no chill with no late hop additions.
Code:
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
23.00 l               Brisbane Water                           Water         1        -             
5.00 ml               Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins)             Water Agent   2        -             
2.30 kg               Wey premium pils (3.0 EBC)               Grain         3        50.0 %        
2.30 kg               Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.2 EBC)   Grain         4        50.0 %        
3.00 g                Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop           5        4.4 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         6        -             
2.00 kg               Coles frozen raspberries                 Flavor        7        -

Another simple pale ale:

82% BB Ale
9% BB Wheat
9% Supernova

Columbus @ 60 to 20 ibu
50/50 Centennial/Mosaic cube to 30 ibu

OG 1.051

Dry hop with Mosaic (probably in the keg)

yum beer said:
beer.
several batches of beer.
then some more beer
may be a ginger beer
and another cider
then some beer
yeah
beer.
Going to plan so far.

I just kegged a Ginger Beer.

Brewed my first saison on Saturday which has just finished fermenting.
3.5kg pilsner malt
1kg wheat malt
0.2kg carapils
0.2kg acidulated malt
40g Hallertau mittelfruh at 60 and 20
Mashed at 65C for 60 70C for 15 then mashout at 78C for 10.
Used belle saison yeast fermented at ambient garage temps which by luck seem to have been pretty spot on. Around 19C for the first day then up to 34C for the next then been sitting mid 20s for the rest of the week. Samples have tasted good, not too funky but definite saison flavour. Cant wait to keg it but got a pilsner crashing in the fridge first.

Funky Maple Peach Dubbel today:

68% Castle pils
14% Bestmalz munich

Then 3.5% each of:

- Castle aromatic
- Caramunich II
- Golden naked oats
- Torrified wheat
- Special B

Plus some acid malt and cal chloride for an OG of around 1.060 (before the maple syrup and peaches)

Mashed at 70C given the brett and simple sugar in secondary.

EKG to 20 IBU at 90 mins.

Going to ferment with WLP570, then transfer onto second generation WLP645 brett C, with peaches that have already had one go around. Also going to add 1L of Canadian dark maple syrup.

I've grown a beard so have to brew today as I need to shave for work next week. I heard somewhere that all the best brewers have beards so today its
Beard-ale
23 litres
5.1kg Pilsner
290g Caramalt

12g Magnum at 60 minutes for 22 IBU
25 grams each of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial and Chinook in the cube to get me around 40 to 45 IBUs total
25 grams each of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial and Chinook dry hopped.

ferm with bry-97 at 18 degrees

Should be super.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486188393.277886.jpg
I'm having a go at this next, one of brewdog's recipes with a few tweaks. A nice low alcohol, dry hopped pale ale. Looking forward to it.

manticle said:
Very simple esb.
Simple because it will be as close to single infusion as I ever get.
Maris, heritage crystal, victory, mash in at 55, raise to 68 for 40, 72 for 10.
Hop with fuggles and ekg, whitelabs london ale.
Grain to keg in a week. Beast of a yeast so another one today to use some of the slurry. Similar but fuggles and challenger early, challenger and styrians late. No heritage so gladfields medium.

[SIZE=14pt]Title: Saison V3[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=14pt]Boil Time: 60 min[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Batch Size: 48 liters (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 60 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 75% (ending kettle)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]STATS:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.41%
IBU (tinseth): 23.4
SRM (morey): 5.27
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]FERMENTABLES:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]6 kg - German - Pilsner (58.5%)
3.5 kg - American - Wheat (34.1%)
0.5 kg - German - CaraMunich I (4.9%)
0.25 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (2.4%)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]HOPS:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]25 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 16.9
20 g - Barbe Rouge, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 6.51
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]MASH GUIDELINES:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1) Sparge, Temp: 64 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 30 L, Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]OTHER INGREDIENTS:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]4 kg - Dried Apricot, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary maybe Strawberries to go with the Barbe Rouge..yet to be decided, prolly whatever is cheapest...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]YEAST: WLP590 and 648[/SIZE]

Classic American Pilsner (sort of) today:

88.5% Heidelberg Kolsch malt
8.9% Demerara sugarz
2.6% Melanoidin

plus 100g acid and 5g cal chloride

3 hour mash at 64C (went to the beach), mash out at 76C. OG: 1.051

25IBU Hall Mit at FWH (90 min boil)
4IBU Saaz at wp
2.5 IBU Saaz in cube

Second generation WLP940 - Mex Lager at 10C.

Special Bitter

Maris, Dark Xtal, Aromatic, Spec Roast.
Northdown, Challenger, Styrains.
1469 Yorkie

Apa of sorts.

Gladfields vienna, 100 or so grams gladfield medium crystal.
Single infusion at 65 for 60, straight to kettle.

Some kind of combo of early chinook with and amarillo and late amarillo, citra and/or possibly late styrians.

UK gigayeast

Was planning to brew a Weizen today, but too hot where I am.
Instead decided to mention the Dampfbier from earlier this year, as I kegged it mid-week and carbonated into 3 immaculately cleaned and recently rebuilt kegs (2 X 19l cornies and 1 X 9 litre Rheem).
Kegged under a layer of CO2 in each vessel, I applied some gas pressure on top as well and popped straight into fridges (2, actually) for chilling and conditioning.
Tasted 2 nights ago, fruity and malty with low carbonation (but feels like high carbs, ánd if that's not your thing, go brew some wheezy low-carb tasteless wee-wee that most of us wouldn't touch on a bet).

Has anyone felt the need to carbonate this Dampfbier style highly, as the traditional peasant way is light on the gas. Looking to maximise flavours and competition results, but mostly for my own drinking satisfaction. I brew for ME.

Coodgee said:
Inspired by a Raspberry Gose I had at Brisbane Brewing Co in West End, thought I would try my hand at a Raspberry Wheat. Not sure how sour I will make it but I will start off with a mash pH of 5.2 and probably a similar sparge water pH and go from there. I hear the raspberries will make for quite a tart beer as it is, and I will be mashing pretty cool at 66. If I decide to sour some more it will be with lactic acid in the keg.

note the recipe EBC of 5.2, I got the two palest malts I could find for this one. Aiming for a cloudy pink beer. Plan to add the raspberries into a hop bag in secondary. Also going to no chill this one, my first ever. The fermentation fridge is full and this seems like the perfect beer to no chill with no late hop additions.
Code:
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
23.00 l               Brisbane Water                           Water         1        -             
5.00 ml               Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins)             Water Agent   2        -             
2.30 kg               Wey premium pils (3.0 EBC)               Grain         3        50.0 %        
2.30 kg               Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.2 EBC)   Grain         4        50.0 %        
3.00 g                Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop           5        4.4 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         6        -             
2.00 kg               Coles frozen raspberries                 Flavor        7        -
How did your first foray to the dark side (no chill!) go? Hasn't sucked you in too far I hope

EKG Hop Harvest ale with the hops I harvested yesterday

75% pale ale
25% wheat
bittered with Magnum at 60min to 25IBU
then split the harvest between a 10min and 0min addition
Even remembered to squeeze all the hoppy goodness out of the hop bag this year. Winning.

med_gallery_7015_1311_49030.jpg

med_gallery_7015_1311_60843.jpg

2 extract brews today as some d**k broke my hopper and the same d**k keeps forgetting to order a new one. Both standard 21L brews

Porter: 350g caraaroma, 250g heritage, 1kg LDME, 1.5 kg can of coopers dark extract. Bittered with Fuggles. Will rack onto cocoa nibs and vanilla soaked in bourbon. Wlp002

Amber: 250g heritage, 1kg LDME, 1.5kg coopers Amber extract. Amarillo at 40min and 20min, cascade at flameout. Dry hop with citra or Amarillo, or both. Wlp 007

I've hit on a nice Stout recipe (finally, after much taste testing) so I'll be cranking a few of them out this year to try and get some stock sitting and maturing in the bottles.
Still got a lot of Pale Malt and appropriate hops for Pale Ales and such so I'll run some of them on the side, just a couple of cheeky batches here and there for the family and friends that don't have the Stout taste buds.

Blind Dog said:
some d**k broke my hopper and the same d**k keeps forgetting to order a new one.
:lol: Must be the same d**k that keeps fronting up at my place, always on brew days, spilling precious liquid when he transfers to the cube and seems to be really badly organised. I'm sick of him and I'll sack the prick one day.

Stouter said:
I've hit on a nice Stout recipe (finally, after much taste testing) so I'll be cranking a few of them out this year to try and get some stock sitting and maturing in the bottles.
Still got a lot of Pale Malt and appropriate hops for Pale Ales and such so I'll run some of them on the side, just a couple of cheeky batches here and there for the family and friends that don't have the Stout taste buds.

:lol: Must be the same d**k that keeps fronting up at my place, always on brew days, spilling precious liquid when he transfers to the cube and seems to be really badly organised. I'm sick of him and I'll sack the prick one day.
Yep. That's the bloke. He's even been known to sneak in and tighten the lids on my fermenting cubes so they burst and dump 20litres of partially fermented beer on the kitchen floor for SWMBO to come home to. D**k

First brew in a couple months and first go at a step mash;

12L Wort from

1kg Pilsner
1kg Ale Malt

55/64/72 mash

EKG (60min)/ Riwaka/ (20min) NZ Cascade (5min).

OG came out at 1.045

US04 yeast

Latest posts

Back