What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just mashed in a knock off of the Brew Dog Libertine Dark Ale

OG: 1068
FG: ~1014
IBU: 62 (approx)

88.1% Pale Malt
3.9% Caramalt
3% Dark Crystal
3% Carafa III
2% Carafa I

Simcoe at 60 minutes to 12 IBUs
Simcoe in the cube to 50 IBUs (calculated as 15 minutes based on cube size)

Wyeast #1272

Dry hop with simcoe, cascade and mosaic

Got this planned for the weekend for the super high Alpha hop from New Zealand, packet says 17.1%:

Its Moutere XPA ( aka Brooklyn )

OG 1056
FG 1008
ABV 6.1%
IBU 50
EBC 8

55% BB Ale Malt
35% Wheat Malt
15% Rolled Oats

Mashed very dry @ 63c for 75mins - sulphate during mash @ 200ppm, Chloride @ 50ppm

1 hour boil

Moutere FWH = 20ibu
Moutere @ 10m = 15ibu
Moutere @ WP = 15ibu

Fermented with MJ44 @ 17-18c

Dry Hopped with Motuere ~ 3g/L

:icon_drool2:

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/variety/moutere

Brewing:

Moutere is a big hop delivering high alpha acid with a generous weight of oil while its lower cohumulone provides a soft well-structured but solid bitterness. Sensory panels describe the flavours and aromas in the finished beer to be that of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit.

Pratty1 said:
Got this planned for the weekend for the super high Alpha hop from New Zealand, packet says 17.1%:

Its Moutere XPA ( aka Brooklyn )

OG 1056
FG 1008
ABV 6.1%
IBU 50
EBC 8

55% BB Ale Malt
35% Wheat Malt
15% Rolled Oats

Mashed very dry @ 63c for 75mins - sulphate during mash @ 200ppm, Chloride @ 50ppm

1 hour boil

Moutere FWH = 20ibu
Moutere @ 10m = 15ibu
Moutere @ WP = 15ibu

Fermented with MJ44 @ 17-18c

Dry Hopped with Motuere ~ 3g/L

:icon_drool2:

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/variety/moutere

Brewing:

Moutere is a big hop delivering high alpha acid with a generous weight of oil while its lower cohumulone provides a soft well-structured but solid bitterness. Sensory panels describe the flavours and aromas in the finished beer to be that of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit.
Sounds great! I've got a Moutere / Pacific Jade APA dry hopped w/ NZ Cascade about one day away from kegging... More hydro samples than needed were taken, because yum.

mofox1 said:
Sounds great! I've got a Moutere / Pacific Jade APA dry hopped w/ NZ Cascade about one day away from kegging... More hydro samples than needed were taken, because yum.
Thats sounds tasty, cascade used right is an amazing hop.

After many many years on the US circuit for hoppy style ales using simcoe, amarillo, centennial, citra, mosaic Im now chasing some different aroma and flavours to my beers (those are all excellent by the way). Done some reading on the NZ hop website and they have some solid offerings, which I think after trying them will possibly blend very well with said US hops.

Got Rakua and Nelson Sauvin ready for a Session IPA in the next month as well.

Matplat said:
How did your first foray to the dark side (no chill!) go? Hasn't sucked you in too far I hope
it went well. I ended up doing a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil because it was a lot of extra pale pilsner malt and I mashed it at 62 degrees. Hit numbers very closely and I filled the cube up right to the brim so I reckon I've got close to 22 litres in there (it's quite an old cube and seems to have developed a bit of a middle age spread). I was thinking of maybe using a french Saison yeast on this one. Not too sure.I was amazed how long the cube stays hot for. I came out just before bed and it was still hot/very warm. is it ok to leave the cube in this 32 degree heat? not in the sun obviously...

Coodgee said:
is it ok to leave the cube in this 32 degree heat? not in the sun obviously...
Yeah it will be fine, I leave mine on the concrete floor of my brewery and chuck in the fridge the next day to get it to pitching temp. Cube is normally still in the mid 30s when I put it in the fridge.

40L BIAB APA

Milled over kettle+bag from ~40degC

8kg BB Ale
1kg BB Wheat
500g Medium crystal

Mashed @ 67degC
Post mash gravity 1.049

40g Galaxy @ 60min
50g Cascade @ 15min
50g Cascade @ 5min

Chilled below 70 (IC)
Chilled to pitching (PC)
S-04
OG 1.051 post boil

LorriSanga said:
Interesting bittering addition. I've done this before and was harsh.
I'm surprised that so many people still try galaxy at 60mins.

LorriSanga said:
Interesting bittering addition. I've done this before and was harsh.
I've used galaxy as a bittering addition many times before and haven't drawn any harshness from it. That being said, my bittering additions (for hoppy beers) these days rarely equate to more than about 10g, with most of my IBUs coming from late hops in the cube.

I've got a lovely pacific ale and fancy pants knock off which both have small 60 minute galaxy additions and are bloody excellent, and have never come out with a hint of harshness.

JD

JDW81 said:
I've used galaxy as a bittering addition many times before and haven't drawn any harshness from it. That being said, my bittering additions (for hoppy beers) these days rarely equate to more than about 10g, with most of my IBUs coming from late hops in the cube.

I've got a lovely pacific ale and fancy pants knock off which both have small 60 minute galaxy additions and are bloody excellent, and have never come out with a hint of harshness.

JD
Must be my technique. For my S&W I moved the 1st addition to 45 then 30 - the 30 was to add extra flavour.

LorriSanga said:
Must be my technique. For my S&W I moved the 1st addition to 45 then 30 - the 30 was to add extra flavour.
Interesting, Thanks for the feedback all, Will have to see how it goes!
Tasted fine from the hydro sample... but that was with a 1.051 level of sweetness.

The sticks and stones recipe in the database on this sight has 2 additions of 20g galaxy at 20 and 2 minutes. I've done it a few times now and its probably a tad more bitter than stone and wood. If you were trying to clone that beer then all late galaxy works very very well. I'm not a fan of 60 minute additions at all these days. Hop flavor is mainly constrained by the bitterness of the beer so it seems counter-productive to have a 60 minute addition.

Pratty1 said:
Moutere FWH = 20ibu
Moutere @ 10m = 15ibu
Moutere @ WP = 15ibu
Checked my recipe on BS last night and the hop IBUs are different to what i posted:

FWH = 15ibu
10m = 25ibu
WP = 10ibu

A big red ale to use up some hops...

Size: 50 L
Efficiency: 84.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

OG: 1.059
TG: 1.015
Colour: 16.07 SRM
Alcohol: 5.78% (0.0% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 100

Ingredients:
9.0 kg (75.0%) Maris Otter Pale - added during mash
.9 kg (7.5%) British Crystal 51 L - added during mash
0.5 kg (4.2%) Crystal 100 L - added during mash
0.1 kg (0.8%) Crystal Malt 200L - added during mash
0.5 kg (4.2%) Victory® Malt - added during mash
1 kg (8.3%) Munich TYPE I - added during mash

100 g (35.3%) ADHA 527 (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
30 g (10.6%) Magnum-PLMG (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
10.0 g (3.5%) Magnum (12.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
39 g (13.8%) Motueka (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
22.0 g (7.8%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 m
22.0 g (7.8%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - steeped after boil
50 g (17.7%) ADHA 527 (13.4%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

FYI - ADHA 527 is described as "A more subtle cousin of Azacca™, ADHA-527 has a full bitterness with a complex aroma that includes anise, stone fruit, and spice.Aroma can be described asanise; nectarine; stone fruit; warm; hint of lime; hop spice; floral"

Brewing up a Rye IPA to celebrate free hops from Belgrave Brewer & Yob.

Rye IPA
OG: 1.073, IBUs: 65, SRM: 13
FG: 1.015 w/ a big slurry pitch of GigaYeast's Vermont IPA

59.0% Gladfields American Ale Malt
24.6% Wey Rye Malt
6.5% Gladfields Vienna
4.3% Carared
2.0% Acidulated
0.5% Gladfields Light Choc (500L)

Mashed in cold, target sacc temp of 67.
CaCl & Gypsum additions.

Perle for 60min addition of 9 IBU, then I start dumping hops @ 0min and in the cube.

0min based on 50L, adds ~ 36 IBU
0.8g/L Chinook
1.0g/L Galaxy
0.4g/L Simcoe
0.8g/L Victoria flowerz

Cube hops (@ 80 degC) based on 46L, adds ~ 20 IBU:
1.3g/L Citra
0.9g/L Galaxy
1.3g/L Victoria flowerz

Dry hops:
Cascade, Citra & Galaxy for a total of ~ 4 to 5g/L

Mashed in cold last night, saved several hours so far... I've been pretty lazy about it this morning and I'm already about to start fly sparging.

Will need to reduce HLT vol next time though (HEX coil in HLT) as the elt was having a hard time keeping temp up in the HLT when I kicked off the recirc.
Temp log went like this:
9:42am HLT: 66.4, Mash outlet: 23.4. Kicked off recirc, HLT temp immediately starts dropping.
9:47am HLT: 61.4, Mash outlet: 35.3. Removing a cube worth of water from HLT to reduce thermal mass so that HLT elt can heat quicker.
9:53am HLT: 59.6, Mash outlet: 46.2. Finished removing water, HLT temp dropped lower but is now increasing again.
9:57am HLT: 60.7, Mash outlet: 50.3. Mash temp has been climbing rapidly.
10:02am HLT: 63.3, Mash outlet: 51.1. 20min after recirc started
10:09am HLT: 66.8, Mash outlet: 59.5.
10:11am HLT: 66.7, Mash Outlet: 60.1. 30min from start of recirc & the coldest part of the mash is over 60, w00t! Bumped HLT temp to hit 68 instead of 67. Going to cook up some froached eggs for breakfast.
10:39am HLT: 68.1, Mash outlet: 67.1. Can't be arsed taking any more logs... it's doin it's thang.

Big thanks to Jesse for the cold mash in tips. If I can be arsed next time getting up and flicking some switches at 7am, I'll be done well before lunch.

I should probably go and sparge now...

Just pitched a Bo Pils into my new Brew Bucket!

The Bo Pils from Classic Styles with 2001. Im gonna take this one slow and do it properly I hope. I stepped up the 2001 into 2lt and then 3lt. Pitched at 8c and Ill let it free rise to 10c. Shouldnt need a D rest then.

I have 2 cubes so Im going to collect some yeast off this one, clean the brew bucket and repitch the 2nd cube the same. Lagering in the kegs.

Could have done with at the start of summer but never too late for a nice (I hope) pils.

nosco said:
I have 2 cubes so Im going to collect some yeast off this one, clean the brew bucket and repitch the 2nd cube the same. Lagering in the kegs.
Use the entire yeast cake!! :super: the more yeast the better at these low temps

When this batch is finished, cold crash the beer to 4c for packaging. At the same time chill the 2nd cube of pils wort to 4c.

Pitch the 4c chilled wort into the yeast cake which is at teh same temp, free rise to 9c for ferment.

I give it a 2-3mins blast of pure O2 aswell.

Latest posts

Back