What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a double batch of:

70% weyermann pilsner
25% gladfield wheat
5% TF malted oats

FWH: 10 IBU of Saaz

Cube 1: 5 IBU of Saaz
Cube 2: 10 IBU Nelson Sauvin, 10 IBU Centennial

Cube 1: I fermented with the yeast bay Wallonian farmhouse at ambient, then racked to secondary with Brett C and 2.5Kg of peaches (south coast - chopped up and frozen). Plan to bottle half of that batch, then blend the other half with some bugged golden ale.
Cube 2: Pitched a starter of WLP644 - 'fake brett' and fermenting that at ambient.

I'm keen to brew an amber belgian style sour at the beginning of winter, let it mature over winter then when stone fruit comes on in November add

some fresh apricots, 2 weeks on fruit, bottle then enjoy at Christmas. Long term plan. Could that work?

wide eyed and legless said:
... after being reminded on Friday how unstable they become when full of hot wort, ....
Out of interest, what happened?

Coincidently, i have a friend recently into brewing who did his first cubed brew on saturday. The blue bunnings cube split through the join/seam at the base & leaked wort everywhere.
Admittedly he didn't realise he had to squeeze the air out of the top & had ~3L headspace. So i assume after he sealed it the heat expanded the air and cranked up the internal pressure to failure.

technobabble66 said:
Out of interest, what happened?

Coincidently, i have a friend recently into brewing who did his first cubed brew on saturday. The blue bunnings cube split through the join/seam at the base & leaked wort everywhere.
Admittedly he didn't realise he had to squeeze the air out of the top & had ~3L headspace. So i assume after he sealed it the heat expanded the air and cranked up the internal pressure to failure.
That requires video for all of us to completely understand/enjoy/cry tears of sympathy.

After being super impressed with the MJ Cali larger yeast in a Cali Common, I'm going to see how clean it goes in a pils.

Jan 2017 Larger
Pilsner

Grain Bill
----------------
5.200 kg Wey Pilsner (95.24%)
0.130 kg Acidulated Malt (2.38%)
0.130 kg Melanoidin (2.38%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Northern Brewer Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
20.0 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
1.6 g Brewtan in mash and @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
1.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Fermented at 17°C with Mangrove Jack's Californian Common

Notes
----------------
15 @ 52
30 @ 62
30 @ 69
10 @ 72
Mash out...

Kumamoto_Ken said:
2 litre recultured Coopers yeast starter happily spinning away on the stirplate.
hows your reculturing going I've done many times but i'm on my fourth attempt and tearing hair out ive tried beer from different bottlo's not happening

GABBA110360 said:
hows your reculturing going I've done many times but i'm on my fourth attempt and tearing hair out ive tried beer from different bottlo's not happening
So far so good for mine GABBA.

Pitched the dregs from five stubbies (it was hot) into a 400ml starter at 1.020. Stepped that up to 2 litres at 1.040 a couple of days later and the next morning it had an impressive krausen on it. That's receded now and I'll put it in the fridge tomorrow morning and pitch Thursday.

I wonder why you're not having any luck?

First brew of the new year.

And I found that I was basically out of Base malt (barring wheat, which I am now questioning why I bought so much of) after brewing. Lucky for a bulk buy.

Trevorbation Ale III

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.015

Mash Temp: 70 degrees

Grist:

5kg Bairds Pale Ale Malt
.4kg Gladfields Dark Crystal Malt

Hop Schedule
25g Simcoe 14.3% (0min no-chill)
25g Cascade 7.4% (0min no-chill)
25g Citra 11.4% (0 min no-chill)
25g Chinook (13.?%) (0 min no-chill)

55IBU

M42 New World Strong Ale Yeast

Kumamoto_Ken said:
So far so good for mine GABBA.

Pitched the dregs from five stubbies (it was hot) into a 400ml starter at 1.020. Stepped that up to 2 litres at 1.040 a couple of days later and the next morning it had an impressive krausen on it. That's receded now and I'll put it in the fridge tomorrow morning and pitch Thursday.

I wonder why you're not having any luck?
ive no idea mate I've never had a problem before it's got me I've been reculturing for nearly 4 years dunno

Okay, after a long hiatus away from lagers, mainly due to the long and neverending winter we've just had, I'm back into what I know best.

That is not to say I was not successful with my APA's etc, they have been fabulous beers but, lagers are my speciality.

So far, the first one is pretty much ready for kegging and it's looking to be one of the best I've made so far, super clean, rich pilsner flavours, sweet to taste but finishes nice and dry. Good body and it looks like it's going to make a thick, dense upstanding tightly packed foam head thanks to my 20min, 71C rest at the end of the mash regime. Back to what I know best - at least for a while.

^ ^ Hi Labels,

Im planning a Helles inteh coming months, do you make that style aswell as lagers? any tips

Young Henrys Real Ale clone this weekend....

YHRA
Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.520
Total Hops (g): 95.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (°P): 10.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 14.8 (EBC): 29.2
Bitterness (IBU): 39.9 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.900 kg Maris Otter Malt (42.04%)
1.900 kg Pale Ale Malt (42.04%)
0.360 kg Caraaroma (7.96%)
0.360 kg Caramunich I (7.96%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.4 g/L)
60.0 g Galaxy Pellet (14.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)
25.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale/Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Matplat said:
Young Henrys Real Ale clone this weekend....

Labourers Ale
Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.520
Total Hops (g): 95.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (°P): 10.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 14.8 (EBC): 29.2
Bitterness (IBU): 39.9 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.900 kg Maris Otter Malt (42.04%)
1.900 kg Pale Ale Malt (42.04%)
0.360 kg Caraaroma (7.96%)
0.360 kg Caramunich I (7.96%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.4 g/L)
60.0 g Galaxy Pellet (14.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)
25.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale/Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
Just realised that my wife is 34 weeks preggers today, which means this beer will be ready to drink right on time.

So I'm renaming this beer 'Labourers Ale'

Matplat said:
Just realised that my wife is 34 weeks preggers today, which means this beer will be ready to drink right on time.

So I'm renaming this beer 'Labourers Ale'
My first IPA back after preggers was well received. It's now her go to beer.

For some reason milk supply is improved with beer, especially if it's hoppy.

Never done an ESB so i'll put this down for winter. I will substitute Gladfield Supernova for the caramel as I've been given some from a mate. Only 0.5kg so what can go wrong???
Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: English Special Bitter [ESB]
Brewer: Dr_Rocks
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 49.65 l
Post Boil Volume: 47.34 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 45.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 45.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9.00 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.5 SRM)           Grain         1        80.0 %        
1.50 kg               Munich Malt - 20L (15.0 SRM)             Grain         2        13.3 %        
0.50 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         3        4.4 %         
0.25 kg               Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)               Grain         4        2.2 %         
100.00 g              Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] - First Wor Hop           5        33.6 IBUs     
40.00 g               Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop           6        4.4 IBUs      
2.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         7        -

Brooklyn Summer Ale Clone.

2.9 kg Marris Otter
1.2 kg German Bohemian Pilsner

21 g Cascade 60 min
21 g Cascade 30 min
21 g Cascade 0 min
25 g Amarillo dry hop

Fermenting Special Bitter
Fermenting ESB
Fermenting Dry Irish Stout

Latest posts

Back