What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally getting around to brewing up another stout.

Keeping up with the trend of my stouts so far, this one will be more "american" than the last. A bit of apollo and chinook late and dry hopped.

Overly complicated grain bill to try and get thru a bit more stock...
72% Gladfields Ale Malt
8% Amber
5% Dark Chocolate
4% Wheat Malt
4% Crystal 60L
3% Roasted Barley
3% Roasted Wheat
1% Dark Crystal (blend to use up stock)

Targeting 1.060 and ~50 IBU, mashed at 68.

Columbus for bittering to 20IBU
Apollo, Chinook & EKG at 0min
Apollo, Cascade & EKG in the cube @80 deg C
Chinook & Apollo dry hop

This one's for drinking, not for keeping. :)

Danscraftbeer said:
Two Cube Pale Ale. 40lt

8g Himalayan Salt added to the boil.
That is interesting. Have you done this before? If so howd it turn out? What are you aiming to achieve from this?

I remember reading a thread somewhere about a member using around a pint of seawater for the mineral content for a malty UK ale.

mofox1 said:
Finally getting around to brewing up another stout.

This one's for drinking, not for keeping. :)
Apollo is a lovely hop Mick. I was very happy when I found an additional 150g bag in the back of my freezer. It's grandparents are two random hops, with the offspring bred with Zeus (CTZ). Good bang for buck.

mofox1, Midnight Brew, can I ask where you've sourced the Apollo from? I have a clone recipe that calls for it but my shop/Google searches haven't turned any up yet.

Thanks,

Midnight Brew said:
That is interesting. Have you done this before? If so howd it turn out? What are you aiming to achieve from this?

I remember reading a thread somewhere about a member using around a pint of seawater for the mineral content for a malty UK ale.
Experimental. 8g Himalayan salt to the 40lt brew is about minerals/flavour etc. Its just my cooking influence, organic gardening and history of brewing all combined. Everything evolved with minerals involved.
One thing that got me unexpected was how furious this brew is at the lowest temp range for the yeast. I've pitched onto whole yeast cakes before and its hasn't matched the furiosity of this brew. I only slightly overpitched this time. :unsure:
It seems to have an effect. I've been creeping up on mineral additions and this is only 25% of the Burton On Trent profile but with the salt added later to the boil. Its the highest I have gone on mineral additions.
Himalayan salt brags about having something like 85 health beneficial minerals or some crap like that.

How did it turn out? well its all very good so far at 3rd day of ferment its nearly done and pre ferment smelt like fruity nectar. Tastes good from start too.
I'm confident! B)

Meddo said:
mofox1, Midnight Brew, can I ask where you've sourced the Apollo from? I have a clone recipe that calls for it but my shop/Google searches haven't turned any up yet.

Thanks,
Mine was 2009 crop from someone on here. There is a few US suppliers that have them and every now and they they turn up on the site sponsors pages although I've found this to be less often. Due to the market being flooded with experimental hops every year it can be lost in the mix. I did word up Hop Dealz about them and will try and source them through HDA when I do run out. Let me know how you go because Im keen for more.

AndrewQld's Coopers Pale clone boiling at the moment, or as close to it as I could attempt with ingredients at hand.

BB Ale - 94.2%
JW Pale wheat - 5%
Simpsons Heritage Xtal - 0.8%

Mashed for 90 minutes at 64C. Aiming for an OG of 1.043.
POR at 60 minutes to 27 IBU.

2 litre recultured Coopers yeast starter happily spinning away on the stirplate.

Full Bore IPA. BIAB
Named because I had to empty my water tank and refill it with Bore water as it went skanky. Mainly due to me being lazy and not cleaning the gutters often enough.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484445388.461538.jpg

Also because of my Insulation / Old Surfboard cover
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484445808.160420.jpg

Cheers[emoji481][emoji481]

^ please tell me you didn't use bore water ?????

Just about to pump this into the fermenter. :chug:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: NZ Pils
Brewer: JD
Asst Brewer:
Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 55.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 45.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 42.00 l
Bottling Volume: 40.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 10.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.8 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
55.00 l Mornington Tank Water 1 -
4.40 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
3.30 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 90.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
3.30 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 90.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
9.00 kg Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 5 92.8 %
0.50 kg Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6 5.2 %
0.20 kg Acidulated (BestMälz) (3.0 EBC) Grain 7 2.1 %
0.88 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 120.0 min Water Agent 8 -
0.66 g Calcium Chloride (Boil 120.0 mins) Water Agent 9 -
0.66 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Boil 120.0 mins) Water Agent 10 -
100.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 11 27.9 IBUs
7.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 12 -
100.00 g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule:
Total Grain Weight: 9.70 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 55.50 l of water at 40.4 C 38.0 C 0 min
Main rest Add 0.00 l of water and heat to 66.0 C 66.0 C 90 min
Mash out Add 0.00 l of water and heat to 76.0 C 76.0 C 30 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 9.71 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pratty1 said:
Sure did. Put through a 1 micron filter. We have great Bore water up here. Local farmers pump it out and truck it to Coca Cola by the tanker load so it can't be too bad.

Pratty1 said:
Bores around Kinglake are where a lot of the "big boys" source their expensive bottled water from.

Clean as a whistle.

Edit: beaten to the punch......

Just finished another brew day, less mistakes than Fridays brew day did a take on Graham Wheelans ' Pendle Witches Brew', managed to get 23 Liters into the Bunnings jerry can after being reminded on Friday how unstable they become when full of hot wort, also remembered to turn the pump off when filling the malt pipe. Two more brews and I can crank up the cool room.

madpierre06 said:
Give it a burl, eh.
I think we had a bag of slightly older hops so the bitterness should end up landing just where we want it. Aroma was sensational.

Bring on the A&Z PA....

The ZAPA?

[emoji3]

Zorco said:
I think we had a bag of slightly older hops so the bitterness should end up landing just where we want it. Aroma was sensational.

Bring on the A&Z PA....

The ZAPA?

[emoji3]
How about the 'Frank'? Fitting, cos just fwatching the end of Once Upon A Time In The West.

ZAPA Pale Ale sounds fine mate.

First brew in a long time...
First brew in NSW...
First brew on a quickly scrambled together rural system...
Very simple hoppy APA
Found some Maris and some Crystal at the local HBS.
Had plenty of Galaxy and Simcoe in the freezer needing attention.
Plenty of yeast to use up and chose MJ M42 New World Strong Ale.
It's nice to be back into the game...who cares the efficiency was lower than expected...
I just made beer...
And I also used my 30 plate heat exchanger for the first time...owned it for 5 years I think...

Going to finally have a go at a sour mashed APA. Got a shiny new sous vide machine that should do the trick....

Latest posts

Back