What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my pacific ale brew day went pretty smooth today, took pratty1's advice and shifted my 60min into cube instead, calculated it as 22g @ 19 ibu

close enough for government work!

^^^seriously 6g/L is what's needed for the authentic galaxy aroma. That's all this beer really is, what defines it.

ha calm down, i got the bitterness in the ballpark, still got a week and a half before i dry-hop. its still sitting in the bloody cube hot as a mofo.

Coodgee said:
^^^seriously 6g/L is what's needed for the authentic galaxy aroma. That's all this beer really is, what defines it.
I've done this beer a number of times and also swapped the hops keeping all other parts the same and found between 2-3g/L was sufficient for good aromatics.

Using 6 will be also helping with flavour so if you have enough throw them in.

Just keep in mind that galaxy has a 5 day max dry hop, usually 3 days is heaps before cold crashing to package.

Pratty1 said:
^ ^ your ibu seems to high at 38, SW pacific ale is about 20.

How did you calculate the cube hops?
~20 min boil in beersmith, though I think thats a bit over the top as I dont cube until its ~85c

Plus, this is a SBOB Pacific Ale... Its got a slightly more sarcastic bitterness level ;)

A low abv beer just trying to use up various bits and pieces:

88.1% BB ale
7.1% Munich
3.6% Acidulated
1.2% Dark Crystal
Summit @ 60 for 19 ibu
Cascade in cube for pathetic little 3.5 ibu

Should be in the vicinity of 4% abv

Undecided about mash temp at the moment.

*** Actually I might do this with Tardiff De Bourgogne instead of the US hops

I'm planning on building a brew controller using Arduino so I wrote a simple program to perform PID control to my existing controller. On the left, a $400 (originally, I got it for nix) Shinko PID controller with type K thermocouple. On top of it, a $5.60 Arduino Nano and $8 sensor with a PID program modified so it ramps to 2°C of target flat out.
PID accuracy - ±2°C (need to check each time), settings not adjustable and can overshoot by about 1°C
Arduino - programmed to be accurate to 0.1°C, doesn't overshoot and sits on target temp to within ±0.1°C

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483759584.796430.jpg

Tenich dampfbier after inspiration by DJ_L3ThaL at last year's Christmas in July swap.

3.25 kg BB pale malt
1.40kg Munich I

33g tettnanger FWH
20g Hallertau at 5 mins

WPL351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast

Busting out the chiller for the first time in about 2 years because I've got no cubes and some yeast raring to go. Should be a cracker to knock back in the summer heat, was certainly a tasty drop.

Hoping to bust out some kind of AIPA tomorrow. Went to the brew shop to get stuff to replace my leaked UK bitter but the yeasts were inappropriate. However they've started stocking gigayeast so I grabbed an ipa one (manufacturing date 21 dec, 200b cells), some golden promise, citra, cascade and amarillo. Got some munich, heritage, biscuit and aromatic - will probably skip the specs and do straight gp with some munich to push 1060 guestimate 30 ibu early and lots of late hops at whirlpool to double that.

Remaining munich will be either small batch or lighter abv munich lager on danish yeast cake that I'll make from kegging a pilsner.

^ leave the Munich out, at 1060 GP will be plenty of malt to balance the American hops. 2c

I know how you feel about munich.

I'll either do gp + crystal or gp + munich. Never both. Done it before, know what I enjoy.

Will depend on which way the wind is blowing.

Also only got 5kg of the gp so munich will get me to my target OG.

Depends on whether I go ipa or hoppy pale.

haha, i love pratty's aversion to munich or crystal. makes me smile. i'm blind.

Bribie's Bitter. First time using Challanger.
If Bribie sees this.....is fermenting Yorkie yeast low (18C) still the go in your opinion?

First brew of 2017 last night, English Golden Ale, my first attempt at a mid strength:

23l batch
OG 1.042
Abv 4% (expected)

3.5kg BB Ale
0.5kg BB Wheat
0.25kg CaraMalt

30g First Gold @60
20g First Gold @10
20g First Gold dry hop

1968 ESB at 18, about to go and pitch yeast!

Pushed the sulphate after reading Designing Great Beers

Sulphate 250ppm
Chloride 80ppm
Calcium 110ppm

After reading all these posts about pacific ale, I think I might have to break out the galaxy for the next brew.

Teninch Dampfbier
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 8/01/2017
Style: Dampfbier Brewer: Seth
Batch Size: 47.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 60.07 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.0 % Equipment: Techni-Ice 75 litre mash tun and 78 litre SSkettle

Taste Rating (50 possible points): 44.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.62 kg Premium Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 70.1 %
2.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 29.9 %
34.00 gm Perle [8.50%] (45 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
34.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90%] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
5.00 items Brew Brite (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) [Starter 3000 ml] Yeast-Wheat

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 EBC
Bitterness: 14.0 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.3 % (6.0-8.0 %)
Actual Calories: 445 cal/l

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Mash Tun Weight: 4.00 kg

Ingredients have been sitting here waiting to be brewed for a few months (Sealed bag for the un-milled grain and hops in the freezer).

This one has high expectations to meet. The last time I brewed this and entered to a comp, I won Best Specialty and Reserve Best of Show (and only got 2nd because I didn't provide a style guide for the brew).
Plus it's just so easy to drink. Soooo easy!

5kg Wey pilsner malt
.5kg Wey melanodian malt
50c/60c/66c/72c/78c
40g hallertauer mf-60mins
40g hallertauer mf+whirlfloc-15mins
White Labs 802 Czech Budejovice into fermenter
11c in ferment fridge
Brewed boxing day-first batch into stainless pressure fermenter,have a second brew to go on yeast cake once this done.
2nd brew has slightly different 15min hops to use up smaller remnants left over from previous recipes.
6g motueka/6g pride of ringwood/6g aurora.

technobabble66 said:
What about GP plus either biscuit or aromatic? (I'd go the biscuit).
Mash profile? Or target FG?
All a possibility. About to crack now, just a hoppy pale as I don't feel like 6-7% ipa.

Target fg will be around 1012, mash schedule pretty usual (short beta/longer alpha for reasonable body, dry enough finish)

Mrs Oatmeal Stout

OG 1052
FG 1014
ABV 5%
IBU 35
EBC 55
Vol 20Lt

61% Ale Malt
15% Vienna
12% Rolled Oats
6% Brown Malt
4% Med Crystal (100EBC)
2% Roasted Barley

Mashed @ 67c for 60mins - Overnight mash

Boiled for 60mins - No Chilled

Warrior @ 60mins = 35ibu

Fermented with either S04 or possibly a lager yeast and make it some kind of Baltic Oatmeal Stout..... :unsure:

Will be packeged into 2 x 9.5kg kegs - 1 on NITRO and the other served of Co2

Using up some Ale malt, mix and sub in for Pale.

A & Z Pale Ale (that's Al & Zorco)

( Ale 50%, MO 25%, GP 25% ) 90.5%

Lt. Crystal 5.25%

Caramalt 4.25%

Galaxy 1.1 g/L 31IBU 60mins
Galaxy 0.8 g/L 17IBU 30 mins
Galaxy 1.1 g/L flameout

Mash 1 hour at 67C, sparge at 77C

W/Labs 001 California Ale

O.G. 1.063
F.G. 1.016

ABV 6.2%

Did end up no chilling, so flameout hops will be dry hopped. Thanks to young Mr. Zorco for the tip.

Latest posts

Back