What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ that does not sound fun DT, how did you get on?

Well I am pretty sure the mash stuck about six times, came out under volume and over gravity, but I finished cubing at 0330. The cleanup begins lol

New hops are always exciting! What do you think of the Gladfields?
2017-08-02 09.40.19.jpg

Good salvage - who knows it could turn out to be a cracker!

Am happy with the Gladfields base malts - turn out a lovely beer. I'm biased though, originally being from across 'the dutch'.

Well I am pretty sure the mash stuck about six times, came out under volume and over gravity, but I finished cubing at 0330. The cleanup begins lol

New hops are always exciting! What do you think of the Gladfields? View attachment 107389
Jezzus.. you did a number on that cube in the middle! How the actual **** did you manage that?!

Alongside the esteemed Mr. Zorco....

Some pale that ended up being a conglomerate of Golden promise, TFFMMO, and BB Pale; Gladfields lt Crystal, Wheat, Black malt, Raoast Barley; a marriage of a few Northern Brewer subs (chinook, columbus, ?), cascade at flameout; 33 kg of grain, a few extra sparges. 2 pizzas and some beers = 4 cubes stout that hit the mark at 1.070

IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0910.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG

Top way to spend a day off work mate and a great way to reach the limits of the brewery!

Got some Pekko hops in the freezer gunna mix it with some centennial . malt wise pale , wheat and prolly 1kg Gladfields toffee malt chuck some US - 05 on it .

if only my wife could crush scalding hot cubes with her thighs like that then id be a happier man. ;)
Capture.PNG

Two year hiatus after finishing my postgrad. Easing my way back into brewing with hopefully fool proof brew. 1056 and dry hop with citra at ~5 days in. Good to be back!

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    970.9 KB · Views: 73
Committing the Vic Case Swap brew to ferment today. Drauflassen style.
M42 yeast that I've built up is not enough for 40lt so the 1st 20lt cube into the 50lt kegmenter with the yeast, a bit of O2. Mix.
Let ferment for ~24 - 48 hours to get to low/medium krausen then tip in the 2nd 20lt cube. A tad more 02. Mix.
Pressure ferment at 16c creeping up to 20c. Pressure creeping up to ~23psi at 20c to finish self carbonated.

OG = 1.073
FG = ? We will see.
IBU = ? Hard for me to judge its so malty the bitterness ratio seems low. ~40 IBU?
EBC = ? I'd guess ~50?
ABV = ~ ? Around 7%
Pre ferment Smells different to my brews but good, malty and yummy. Farmish, Hayish.
Its a two keg brew. I will Oak one Keg with French Oak Blocks at 2g/l. Maybe pre-can the Oak blocks in Whisky. :cool:

Last edited:
Chocolate Vanilla Porter on Nitro

OG 1058
FG 1015
ABV 5.7%
IBU 38
EBC 64

90min mash @ 68c

3.9kg Maris Otter
520g Munich
260g Med Crystal
210g Flaked Oats
210g Black Malt

60min boil

Chinook @ 60m = 38ibu

Fermented with Burton Ale Yeast

200g Cocoa Nib and 4 Vanilla Beans into secondary for 5-7days

Carbonated to 1.5volumes and then under 40psi pressure for 2 weeks before serving.

Something easy today. Third lager in as many years.

Milled & pre-heated 90L in the HLT yesterday. Mashed in cold last night and flicked a switch this morning to kick everything off.

Oktoberfest/Marzen, 46L @ 1.057, 29.5 IBU
40% German Pilsner
33% Munich I
14% Vienna
9% Gladfield Aurora (Aromatic)
4% Caramunich
+ 12g CaCl & 20g CaSO4 in the mash

25.5 IBU of Hal Mitt & Tett @ 90min plus a 0.5g/L of each at 10min.

Yeast will be WLP838 (Sth German Lager) for a 1.014 finish, got 10L of a starter built up over the past 10 days.

Giving brewbright a go this time instead of whirlfloc, and biofine once it's fermented out.

Better go get this on to boil now!

Interesting Mick I went the other way yesterday (use Whirfloc instead of Brewbrite) and actually think it (Whirfloc) produced a better cone/clearer wort out of the kettle. Can't confirm 100% off one batch as I had a better recirc than I have had so it could be that factor at play also.

Oktoberfest/Marzen, 46L @ 1.057, 29.5 IBU
40% German Pilsner
33% Munich I
14% Vienna
9% Gladfield Aurora (Aromatic)
4% Caramunich
+ 12g CaCl & 20g CaSO4 in the mash
Just out of interest, why didn't you balance your salts around the other way, Mick?
I went heavy on the CaCl for my Marzen. Still used some CaSO4 to raise the hops a little, but I think ~0.6 ratio with the CaCl.
Not saying it's wrong (I might've been!) just wondering why you went high with the CaSO4?

Just out of interest, why didn't you balance your salts around the other way, Mick?
I went heavy on the CaCl for my Marzen. Still used some CaSO4 to raise the hops a little, but I think ~0.6 ratio with the CaCl.
Not saying it's wrong (I might've been!) just wondering why you went high with the CaSO4?
Just habit. No other reason. Might still add a touch more cacl in the boil.

Back