What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*whoa - 4.4mash pH...

fwiw - it was 3.5% acidulated in the grist, 60% pils 30% wheat approx, cold soaked overnight then recirc heated to 64/65

at 75% eff I should of had 76ltr pre-boil and a BG of 1043, I got 80ltrs @ 1048 putting it up around 88% which I have never had before, clearly mash pH being low hasn't hurt efficiency, must be those oats bumping it up

*I guess the good thing about going to the edge is that at least you know where it is eh? hehe

nice and simple pale ale as a keg filler and to build up a nice big yeast cake for my IIPA that's in cube
60% pale malt
40% wheat
1.046 OG
Galaxy & Cascade in the cube to 35IBU
Will dry hop with about 25g of each with a few points to go
Fermented with Wyeast 1056

Just putting 90L of water on to boil for a lambic style brew day with Paulyman:

60% pilsner
40% flaked wheat

Turbid mash: dough in at 45 then 58/66/72/76 for about 20 mins each step. Two turbid runnings held at 85C added at mash out. Sparge with boiling water.

100g 2006 aged hops at FWH for a 3 hour boil. ~1 IBU.

Will end up with 4 cubes, 2 I'll ferment with my bugs and 2 for Paulyman. We are going to do a blend in 12 months.

So this is mash in for a turbid mash... Apparently.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500157356.130502.jpg

I promise there is 10L of water in with that 18Kg of grain.

Gonna give a German Pils a crack after doing some Melb Water analysis research looks like I need a bit of acidulated in my mash to compensate. Have never really adjusted for water profile before so be gentle...

Ignore the Pearle, have run out of Wey Pils and don't wanna open my fresh sack of Gladfields Pils for a measly 450g...

Will do a single decoction mash (to get to mash out) and a short 20min protein rest at 55C. So 55C (20 mins) stepped to 64C sacc (75mins) and then decoct to 75C (15mins).

Looks like potentially some things caused a floury grey cement like blockage of my mash and a 7.5 hour brew day *shakes fist*. Talking with techno it's potentially:

1. Protein content of weyermann premium pils and too fine mill setting (although I didn't even look at the crush as I've had great results lately and it's very unlikely my mill has changed other than potentially due to the cold weather and the metal has contracted?

2. Protein rest at 55C for 20mins, temp dropped slightly to about 53C. Has this done something to chew up bits into flour?

3. Too much acidulated malt due to my poor knowledge using 5% to drop the estimated mash pH from 5.7 to 5.2. Could this have played funny buggers causing the fine flour like stuff?

I did get great efficiency and reasonably clear wort in the end, 47L of 1.049 which was 83% eff.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500161196.435986.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500161221.474236.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500161242.608388.jpg

it looks like protein Nath', maybe that and a combination of a fine milling, I've been using similar % of acidulated with no probs

Looks like every time I use rye in the mash. I'd agree with Droid's theory. Too much flour wreaks havoc on the flow rates in my system.

Nath, you'd be pleased to know that, inspired by you nutters, I've fired up the rig this morning and will try and knock out 55l of a tweaked DSGA recipe using the ingredients I have available. Was no surprize to find a lot of my hopz date back to 2012/2013 cropz.

DJ_L3ThAL; My last ag I did with a new bag of Weyermann Pale and I got the same thing. Very milky mash, lots of flour.
Took lots of Vorlaufing to get clear run off.
Previous times I've used it has been very clear wort, no flour. Same mill etc. Maybe it was the season or something. Never thought it could vary that much. It all turned out the same end result though.

Had this happen two brews ago, though base malts were gladfield pils and munich. I put it down to my adjustment of my mill from (factory setting) 1.2mm to 1.1mm as I had no protein rest. Solved it mid sparge in my usual way when the grain bed looks like yours did by gently scouring the surface with a knife in a cross cut pattern to a half bed depth.

Re set the mill for the last batch (same bag of glad. Munich) back to 1.2mm and no issue.

It could very well be season or, more likely IMHAO (in my half-assed opinion), batch variation. Might do to let the supplier know so they can let their supplier know so they can let their supplier know so they can let Weyermann know.

Thanks fellas, will look at the mill gap. It's a monster mill 3 so thought the gap was pretty well locked and loaded. Had it out at 1.6mm last I tried as credit card width resulted in fine powder.... have got feeler gauges so it should confirm if something has changed. Also t the end of the day I made good looking wort at the right strength so the brew lesson continue.

Camo6 - welcome back!! Did the though of someone buying your rig for peanuts to regain some space get the better of you?? [emoji23]

Thanks fellas, will look at the mill gap. It's a monster mill 3 so thought the gap was pretty well locked and loaded. Had it out at 1.6mm last I tried as credit card width resulted in fine powder.... have got feeler gauges so it should confirm if something has changed. Also t the end of the day I made good looking wort at the right strength so the brew lesson continue.

Camo6 - welcome back!! Did the though of someone buying your rig for peanuts to regain some space get the better of you?? [emoji23]

Haha! If I could sell it for anywhere near the price some are asking on here I probably would! But it was after paying $33 for a FOUR pack of DIPA that really tipped the scales. A cracking example of the beer mind you but sick of being ripped off by blokes in skinny jeans reeking of moustache wax.

First brew back went well although I was under my OG by 5 points. Reckon I'll go back to stirring the mash every now and again. Crystal clear runnings ain't everything.

I think the credit card gets you about 0.9mm which is great for BIAB but gets you a cloudy AF wort. 1.2-1.1mm on the BM is perfect and what I use. Might need to re-adjust for Rye malt because I used 10% rye and they kinda looked uncrushed but I went ahead and brewed it anyway and guess what? No rye flavour.

Last edited:
I'll double check it again but I think I even went out to 1.5-1.6mm as I was having recirc issues when I first setup the mill/3V system. It's probably something I should check more frequently :)

We're getting way off topic here, but as far as I can work out, the only way your crush would change when you haven't changed your mill gap is grain variation. All the major maltsters screen to particular corn sizes, so there shouldn't be a massive change in the crush if you're using Weyermann. Also, Weyermann is known for having very consistent corn size. The most likely issue is seasonal variation or batch variation. Again, strange for Weyermann. Dunno, maybe there's something else I can't put my finger on. Or my mind ;)

Weizen beverage.

For 20ish L, fits into NC cube.

2.5kg Wheat Malt
2kg Ale Malt, Gladfields
.5kg sloppy white rice

Willamette to 18 IBU at 60 mins.

WY3068.

10m at 45 degrees,
60 minutes at 63 degrees
Mash out 78 degrees.
Overnight at 40 degrees for slight kettle sour.

One possibly two brews tomorrow using the same base brew and split up:

Recipe: IPA
Brewer: Russell
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 13.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 60.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 1 27.6 %
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 2 27.6 %
2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 27.6 %
1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 13.8 %
0.25 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 5 3.4 %
10.00 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 6 19.1 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

Each brew will be split into two 10L cubes. Will probably cube hop each cube with something different to 4-5g/l Amarillo, mosaic, Cascade, Victoria Secret and Centennial will probably feature.

For anyone playing at home:

Cube 1: Victoria Secret
Cube 2: Amarillo
Cube 3: Centennial, Mosaic
Cube 4: Amarillo, Galaxy and Mosaic.

Only done the Victoria Secret one before so hopefully the others taste alright.

Latest posts

Back