What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
You have me rethining my sparge water pH. I only use ~ 1 - 1.5lts for a rinse so have not worried about adjustment.

How much sparge water are you adjusting and what are you adjusting that with?
i've always reduced mine to 5.5-5.7 with salts and phosphoric - i use the recommendations in bru'n water. why haven't you adjusted your sparge? you're just re-adding akalinity with regular water.

Decoction for small 2ndry experimental batch under way and some late hop picking image.jpg
image.jpg

German pils and a wheatimage.jpg

fletcher said:
i've always reduced mine to 5.5-5.7 with salts and phosphoric - i use the recommendations in bru'n water. why haven't you adjusted your sparge? you're just re-adding akalinity with regular water.
Id almost consider it laziness. The amounts to measure out are like 0.1 and 0.2g for the 1-1.5lts of sparge water.

It's got me thinking I should be doing it.

Home Grown Altbeir 40lt

OG = 1.046
FG = 1.010
IBU = 37
EBC = 22
ABV = 4.7%

81.8% Weyermann Pale
12.6% Dark Munick
3.1% Crystal
1.5% Acidulated
1.0% Carafa Special
1st infusion 50c for 20min. 2nd Infusion 63c for 75min. Decoction 75c for 20min.

25g Warrior 60min
50g Home Grown Hallertauer 30min
50g Home Grown Hallertauer 10min
90g Home Grown Hallertauer steep/whirl 10min.
130g Home Grown Hallertauer Dry Hop (optional)

Wyeast 1007 German Ale

Pratty1 said:
Id almost consider it laziness. The amounts to measure out are like 0.1 and 0.2g for the 1-1.5lts of sparge water.

It's got me thinking I should be doing it. [emoji4]
haha yeah they must be small. I didn't realise your sparge water volume til I re-read. still I suppose it can't hurt to try it :)

technobabble66 said:
Wow. Wood fired stove. So THAT's what the hipsters are into now!
[emoji1]
Still goin, and lovin it, hey we got gas too mofo just not much lectricity
image.jpg
image.jpg

I got given some kits from a mate that's stopped drinking so thought I'd see if I could make something tasty..

1x Coopers "Brew A IPA" can
1x Coopers "Mexican Cervesa" can

50g (7.8% AA) Cascade thrown into ~2L boiling water with the two cans, sat for 5 mins before topping up fermenter with 18L demineralised water.
02 for a minute or so
Vol= ~ 20L
Yeast = both packs of kit yeast plus a pack of Notto, all rehydrated, ferment @ 17c

Will probably add 500g of either honey or rice malt syrup to bump up the % a little bit, and will dry hop with 3g/l Cascade and 2g/l either Mosaic or Simcoe

Cinnamon and sour cherry Gose.

First time kettle souring too- check out the activity:

20170403_162612_resized.jpg

^wow!

making a session IPA and my first attempt at a super-dry ale, was going to be this morning but changed to a Sunday3am timer start

100% pils malt for the full mash @ 62C add enzyme
small side mash of munich and caramunich for a bit of colour and backbone for the IPA
Perle flowers for 20ibu's
shut off the boil and run off 1 batch through large hop back of mosaic and others (15-20ibu's) - chill and ferment with US05 at 20 - dry hop with 4g/l of something for 4or5 days at 20C
fire up the kettle and add some dextrose representing .5% of total abv for the super-dry, add Hallertau for 15ibu hop burst, chill to 14 add US05 and bump to 16C

Hey droid, not sure that super dry 62c mashed ale and session IPA go well together. Often the dryness brings put the bitterness but without the abv its not right, like when you make a dry IPA, that abv is needed to balance it.

The session IPA is often mashed like a mild 69-70c.

Be interested to see how it turns out.

yeah I'm hearing ya but it will have a side decoction of munich and caramunich added to it, maybe save the enzyme for the fermenter?

malt junkie and another mate Lando brewed at my place a few weeks ago and I think we did 64C with some munich and wheat with the pils and it's tasting great

I'm hopeful that the decoction and spec malts will help the sess IPA - proof'l be in the pudding hey and as mentioned before this brewhouse seems to err on the sweet side so a 62 may well be your 63 or 64

Double brewday today

Galaxy Pils

OG 1.052
IBU 40
SRM 4

Hochkurz mash

4.6kg Weyermann Boh Pils
300g Carahell
100g Acid

10g Galaxy @ 60min
24g Galaxy @ 10min
34g Galaxy @ 0min

500mL Yeast cake from a czech pils - WY2278

Raspberry Basil Porter Aged on Palo Santo Wood

This is one expensive beer! I hope I don't **** it up. The raspberry juice concentrate (2.5L) & Palo Santo wood alone was $75 bucks delivered. The sticks are re-usable apparently.

OG 1.061
IBU 40

3.5kg Gladfield Ale malt
450g Chocolate malt
200g Black malt
300g of Crystal medium
100g wheat malt
17g Columbus @ 60
20g Hallertuer @ 5

760mL of Raspberry juice concentrate @ flameout

WY1084

After a week, rack to secondary onto 200g of Palo Santo wood sticks and a good handful of Thai basil leaves and sit for 4 weeks.

Looking forward to this one!

Phoney said:
This is one expensive beer! I hope I don't **** it up. The raspberry juice concentrate (2.5L) & Palo Santo wood alone was $75 bucks delivered.

760mL of Raspberry juice concentrate @ flameout
Wow good luck, hope all goes well mate. Would you consider holding off adding the raspberry until after primary ferment to get the most bang for your buck?

Danscraftbeer said:
Home Grown Altbeir 40lt

OG = 1.046
FG = 1.010
IBU = 37
EBC = 22
ABV = 4.7%

81.8% Weyermann Pale
12.6% Dark Munick
3.1% Crystal
1.5% Acidulated
1.0% Carafa Special
1st infusion 50c for 20min. 2nd Infusion 63c for 75min. Decoction 75c for 20min.

25g Warrior 60min
50g Home Grown Hallertauer 30min
50g Home Grown Hallertauer 10min
90g Home Grown Hallertauer steep/whirl 10min.
130g Home Grown Hallertauer Dry Hop (optional)

Wyeast 1007 German Ale
Looks tasty. Why the acidulated for an Altbier?

droid said:
^wow!

making a session IPA and my first attempt at a super-dry ale, was going to be this morning but changed to a Sunday3am timer start

100% pils malt for the full mash @ 62C add enzyme
small side mash of munich and caramunich for a bit of colour and backbone for the IPA
Perle flowers for 20ibu's
shut off the boil and run off 1 batch through large hop back of mosaic and others (15-20ibu's) - chill and ferment with US05 at 20 - dry hop with 4g/l of something for 4or5 days at 20C
fire up the kettle and add some dextrose representing .5% of total abv for the super-dry, add Hallertau for 15ibu hop burst, chill to 14 add US05 and bump to 16C
No side mash, looks like 40 ltrs of some kind of dry ale. Nearly a 4hr mash at 62

JB said:
Wow good luck, hope all goes well mate. Would you consider holding off adding the raspberry until after primary ferment to get the most bang for your buck?
I actually ended up putting into the cube and ran the hot wort in on top. Figured it's still going to do the same but with zero loss.

Raspberries will change flavour and structure from heat - cooked/jammy rather than fresh.

Not saying it won't come out as you'd like - might be perfectly what you're after.

I know fresh raspberries do that, but will juice concentrate / syrup? Anyway maybe next time I'll add it in cold and test the difference

Missed the concentrate/syrup bit.

I guess it depends on the manufacturing process.

Latest posts

Back