Water To Grain Or Grain To Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you Mash In. Grain or Water in the Mash Ton First ?

• I fill my mash ton with water first then add the grain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I fill my mash ton with grain first then add the water.

• I mix them both in at the same time.

• I use both methods depending on the beer i am making.

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
johnno said:
Welcome back dicko.

I too was wondering where you had got to.

johnno
[post="109349"][/post]​

Hi Johnno,
Working away from home a fair bit really interupts my brewing schedule and contributions to this forum.
I can't help big d's dog with a dough ball. :D
Cheers

Like I mentioned earlier, I add water to the grain.

One thing I have noticed is that the dough balls seem to be larger and more frequent with JW malts. When I use Powells they are smaller and less frequent.

I use a large SS flat cooking utensil(not sure what it is) to break the balls up and it works fine.

I am not at such an advanced stage (and probably never will be) where I worry too much about it.

Close enough is good enough for me at the moment.

You can make the best homebrew using the most scientific methods.

The bottom line is that there are still people out there (read: brainwashed megaswill drinkers) that will still tell you that it is shit beer, or something is wrong with it.

johnno

johnno
please forward any 25 kilo grain balls to me please.you can pay the freight. :D

johnno said:
Like I mentioned earlier, I add water to the grain.

One thing I have noticed is that the dough balls seem to be larger and more frequent with JW malts. When I use Powells they are smaller and less frequent.

I use a large SS flat cooking utensil(not sure what it is) to break the balls up and it works fine.

I am not at such an advanced stage (and probably never will be) where I worry too much about it.

Close enough is good enough for me at the moment.

You can make the best homebrew using the most scientific methods.

The bottom line is that there are still people out there (read: brainwashed megaswill drinkers) that will still tell you that it is shit beer, or something is wrong with it.

johnno
[post="109356"][/post]​
Johnno

Toatally agree with you. I had a homrebrew tasting at work recently (only half a dozen or so fellow workers and after a night shift) to introduce some of my fellow workmates to something different, I brought in two of my English ales and presented them to them. Out of the six or seven all but one asked questions about certain flavours, thought about what they were tasting etc and finally came to the conclusion that the beers were quite good. (No big noting myself here just stating the facts.) The odd one out was a sad person. As far as he was concerned, "If it isn't VB or tastes like VB then it is all shit!" Poor fellow is a lost soul.

As for the others one has started home brewing already and two that already were home brewing want to know how to improve their K & K brews. (Too nervous to advance at this stage.) But H'Bing has had a win!

Steve

big d said:
johnno
[post="109361"][/post]​

Barret Burston are just down the road big d.

One GIANT dough ball heading your way. :p

BTW they also sell bulk, but you need a semitrailer. (bulkbuy anyone?)

I also note that they sell
Gairdner Malt 1 and Schooner Malt 1. Someone care to elaborate on that?
(hint hint wes)
Is that like VB and Fosters Lager malt?

johnno

Dicko.

Have to second or third what others have said... It's a lonely forum without you. :beerbang:

Stay in touch. :)

Warren -

johnno said:
big d said:
johnno
[post="109361"][/post]​

Barret Burston are just down the road big d.

One GIANT dough ball heading your way. :p

BTW they also sell bulk, but you need a semitrailer. (bulkbuy anyone?)

(hint hint wes)

johnno
[post="109380"][/post]​

I think Coopers uses Schooner.

Schooner?!?

Now there's a horrid blast from the HB past... I can remember when that and Franklin Pils Malt (anybody remember that?) were all we could get. :eek:

Thank goodness for progress. :beerbang:

Warren -

(hint hint wes)

Both Gairdner and Schooner are strains of barley. Barretts at Richmond mainly supply the Abbotsford brewery and they still require a small amount of Schooner - or more correctly malt made from Schooner - to ensure they dont get "over conversion" in the mash tun. As we recall, Schooner was never a great malt for attenuating in fermentation.

Coopers are supplied by Joe White and I doubt there is any Schooner still grown in SA. It would be mostly Gairdner or some of the newer strains (Darren?)

Wes

Thanks Wes.

Think I'll stop trying to get hold of a semi after the explanantion. :p

johnno

Johnno, you would have needed a bit more kit to handle the semi load. A normal grain semi holds 36 to 38 tonnes, a B-Double has the same in the rear and another 24 tonnes in the front trailer.....

Wes

Scharers_bulk_2_opt.jpg

wessmith said:
Johnno, you would have needed a bit more kit to handle the semi load. A normal grain semi holds 36 to 38 tonnes, a B-Double has the same in the rear and another 24 tonnes in the front trailer.....

Wes
[post="109415"][/post]​

Hope they are not feeding good malt to those bloody pigs ! :D

i'm pretty sure schooner is still grown here
maybe coops use it as an adjunct?

tangent said:
if it's one of those white plastic "brewers spoons", snap it now (save some time) and throw it away.

Ah yes.....i have a good collection of these............ !

MIght have to start another thread i think :)

well i have been doing some reading here and in books nad have come to some conclusions that i will keep to myself but try out in practice and report back on.

cheers all :)

i only expected 15 odd replies....... wow :)

Latest posts

Back