Water To Grain Or Grain To Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you Mash In. Grain or Water in the Mash Ton First ?

• I fill my mash ton with water first then add the grain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I fill my mash ton with grain first then add the water.

• I mix them both in at the same time.

• I use both methods depending on the beer i am making.

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I think i asked this one a while back but i am interested in what people do with their mash in process.

Is there any advantages to either way that anyone knows off.

I usually put my water in first and mix in my grain but i am starting to toy with the idea of adding the water to the grain in the mash ton.

I have got a good hold on the thermal mass properties of my system now, they go up and down from summer to winter as i have found (my garage goes from 10 deg in winter to 45 deg in summer)

this is important if you want to add the water to the grain as you have to hit it strait on if you dont want to stuff around heating or cooling it to get the desired temp.

cheers

I generally add my water to the grain in my tun via the underlet method.

Shawn.

I was originally a practitioner of "water to grain", but then my brew-buddy started doing an incremental mash-in (a bit of water, a bit of grain) and we got a drastic reduction in the amount of dough ball formation and the time it took to get a well mixed mash.

Edit: replaced "grain to water" with "water to grain" above - originally wrote the exact opposite of what I meant.

Water to grain, underletting.

Dumping the grain in the water.

Building up the fortitude to underlet. I'll get there. :lol:

Warren -

80% of water in the tun, with grain then slowly added with stirring.
the remaining 20% of water is then added to hit temperature. (hopefully ;) )

Water to grain via underletting. Never get dough balls.

nifty

Water to grain by underletting for me too. Seeing a trend here.
Much quicker and less dough balls.

Beers,
Doc

And all it takes is a length of hose from the HLT, easy as.

Grain into water ,nice and easy.Never had a dough ball yet :) but the ol wrist gets a workout <_<

I have always used the grain into the water... promash calculates the temps for me. I have fallen short of my temp once, but I was taking far too long to add the grain...

Will have a chat with you Doc about underletting on Wednesday!

Cheers,
Jarrad

I also underlet. Water to grain is the go...

Cheers.
PeterS....

I do small 2gal batches, so use stovetop.
Adding grain to water.

How? :p

C'mon Darren, that's the response you wanted. (or needed?) :lol:

Warren -

I've begun underletting too. Not a single dough ball. Quick and easy.

Pardon my ignorance but what is underletting?

WRT doughing in. I add about a third of my water to the MLT, add half the grain and stir, add another third of the water, the othe half of the grain, stir and add the final water.

I'm just guessing, but I think its filling the MLT (preloaded with grain)by the tap at the bottom, filling it slowly from the bottom up. Would need the HLT tap higher than the top of the grain. I would have thought the grist would just float on the surface of the rising water, but maybe it doesnt.

Simon

That's what I was sort of guessing - filling the MLT through the manifold or false bottom. But still just a guess until some well learned person can enlighten me.

Steve

Latest posts

Back