Wadde Want, Polyclar Brewbrite. Wenna We Want It? Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will soon do just that in a Retail Thread, have been doing my own tests and getting a few locals to try it as well. So far the reports are excellent; one of the good things about AHB is that you get a lot of different people using different systems reporting their observations. That information can be very helpful when trialling a new product, hope I haven't been too heavy handed trying to solicit feedback.

MHB

I have heaps of both kopperfloc and whilfloc from wink wink bulk buys but I will never us and either again. Brewbite is fantastic and obviously the latest addition to home brewing, just try it otherwise your in the dark ages with out dated practices.

My thanks to MHB for introducing me to it, I suggest if you want to give some a try contact Mark (MHB) that's where I get mine.

You can't beat a nice bright, clear beer.

Batz

For those in Melbourne that want it, The Brewers Den has some on hand from the request i made for Pete to stock it. the more people buying it, he will continue to keep it in stock.

A handful of us from the Melbourne brewers purchased some and i can say the difference between whirlfloc, no whirlfloc and then to brewbrite = a world a difference. I eventually gave up on the inconsistencies of whirlfloc and went commando with nothing as a kettle fining for 12 months. The difference in wort clarity out of a cube from being turbid to diamond bright sold me. :super:

From here on in, i wouldnt have it any other way.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

I have heaps of both kopperfloc and whilfloc from wink wink bulk buys but I will never us and either again. Brewbite is fantastic and obviously the latest addition to home brewing, just try it otherwise your in the dark ages with out dated practices.

My thanks to MHB for introducing me to it, I suggest if you want to give some a try contact Mark (MHB) that's where I get mine.

You can't beat a nice bright, clear beer.

Batz
+1
thanks batz for puttin me onto it, my chill haze is long gone and beer is bright as can be.

Just tried this for the first time - the clarity of the wort from the kettle to the cube has me sold. Awesome stuff.

Just tried this for the first time - the clarity of the wort from the kettle to the cube has me sold. Awesome stuff.

My thoughts exactly. Haven't began fermenting the beer but the clarity and reduction in break material into the cube was noticeable. I have to say I was using a hop sock which helps minimize the extra trub in the wort. I am interested to see if the chill haze is gone without the use of polyclar after cold conditioning.

The only thing I am a bit worried about is the powder going stale/rendered useless by the air before I use the lot of it. It's not a huge expense but it will be interesting to see how it lasts before we notice a loss in performance..

My thoughts exactly. Haven't began fermenting the beer but the clarity and reduction in break material into the cube was noticeable. I have to say I was using a hop sock which helps minimize the extra trub in the wort. I am interested to see if the chill haze is gone without the use of polyclar after cold conditioning.

The only thing I am a bit worried about is the powder going stale/rendered useless by the air before I use the lot of it. It's not a huge expense but it will be interesting to see how it lasts before we notice a loss in performance..

I could see the compacted trub layer before I had even began to to drain the kettle.

Another trip to craftbrewer. . .

Sorry Guys,
Can I be a slack arse and not read the entire 6 pages and still ask questions? :unsure: - I'm at work so cant really anyway...

1) does this stuff replace kettle finings such as whirlfloc?
1a) If so, when is it added during the boil?
2) does it have any other benefit post fermentation? e.g. prevents chill haze?
3) do you still need your other regular clearing agents, e.g. gelatin and the other Polyclar to act against chill haze?
4) is it gods gift to brewing or just something that is 'an option'

Sorry Guys,
Can I be a slack arse and not read the entire 6 pages and still ask questions? :unsure: - I'm at work so cant really anyway...

1) does this stuff replace kettle finings such as whirlfloc? Yep
1a) If so, when is it added during the boil? Last 10th m I think
2) does it have any other benefit post fermentation? e.g. prevents chill haze? Yep, I have heard so, my brew was pitched last nite.
3) do you still need your other regular clearing agents, e.g. gelatin and the other Polyclar to act against chill haze? Maybe.
4) is it gods gift to brewing or just something that is 'an option'

Otherwise, read the six pages . ..

To Mckenry, yes it's a combo of carragheenan (sp?) which is the active ingredient of whirlfloc and Irish Moss, but in a pure form, plus PVPP. The Carra whacks the hot break and flocs it into a breadcrumb soup almost instantly, depending on the wort composition some of the flakes are almost as big as flaked maize/oats, and the PVPP flocs the Polyphenols that can go on to cause chill haze.
Mix to a slurry with boiling water in a small bowl and dump in right at the end of the boil. When it flocs, you see it floc right before your eyes, no need to keep on boiling (MHB recommends add it to the whirlpool if you do that thing).
I cover the urn and give it around 25 mins to settle out, then start to drain that lovely clear wort into the cube.

Keep it in a ziplock in a cold fridge and it keeps for months and months. I bought half a kilo about 18 months ago - I picked it up at Chappo's brewday so that's how long ago :eek: - I gave the last bit I had in the ziplock to DazDog a week or so ago, and that's the one he's referring to in his post - so it was still on top form obviously.

Does this present a problem for those who have a pick up tube in the centre of the kettle? What about transfer to the cube & then into the fermenter??

Cheers

Paul

No need to use boiling water to make the slurry, cold water works great without clumping.
I also noticed that CB says on the website that it's not required to prepare a slurry. Haven't tried that myself yet, though.

To Mckenry, yes it's a combo of carragheenan (sp?) which is the active ingredient of whirlfloc and Irish Moss, but in a pure form, plus PVPP. The Carra whacks the hot break and flocs it into a breadcrumb soup almost instantly, depending on the wort composition some of the flakes are almost as big as flaked maize/oats, and the PVPP flocs the Polyphenols that can go on to cause chill haze.
Mix to a slurry with boiling water in a small bowl and dump in right at the end of the boil. When it flocs, you see it floc right before your eyes, no need to keep on boiling (MHB recommends add it to the whirlpool if you do that thing).
I cover the urn and give it around 25 mins to settle out, then start to drain that lovely clear wort into the cube.

Keep it in a ziplock in a cold fridge and it keeps for months and months. I bought half a kilo about 18 months ago - I picked it up at Chappo's brewday so that's how long ago :eek: - I gave the last bit I had in the ziplock to DazDog a week or so ago, and that's the one he's referring to in his post - so it was still on top form obviously.

cheers BribieG,
So does that mean you negate the need for Polyclar VT prior to kegging? Just use the gelatin to drop out the yeast?

Does this present a problem for those who have a pick up tube in the centre of the kettle? What about transfer to the cube & then into the fermenter??

Cheers

Paul

Not as long as the tube is above the trub layer, which would be generally the case you'd think.
I haven't been game to just sprinkle the stuff on top, wouldn't hurt to try I suppose - just sticking with what works.

I generally use gelatine in a cold conditioning cube, not straight into the keg. Gelatine settles yeast, Polyclar settles cold break and they work on opposite electrostatic charges anyway. On a couple of occasions when I had to had to had to have a crystal clear comp lager (I don't filter) then I did use Polyclar as an insurance policy, probably didn't do anything, but generally I don't get chill haze any more using BB.

Not as long as the tube is above the trub layer, which would be generally the case you'd think.
I haven't been game to just sprinkle the stuff on top, wouldn't hurt to try I suppose - just sticking with what works.

Michael,
Given I rack to cube immediately after flameout would I be able to add to the cube?

Cheers

Paul

Michael,
Given I rack to cube immediately after flameout would I be able to add to the cube?

Cheers

Paul

Sure. But would you prefer the break in the cube, or left behind in the kettle?

No need to use boiling water to make the slurry, cold water works great without clumping.
I also noticed that CB says on the website that it's not required to prepare a slurry. Haven't tried that myself yet, though.

It's a fair bit different when adding it to a 14HL boil, but I always make up a slurry - the time(s) I didn't resulted it the polyclar turning into a big hard, insolluable lump.

Gets my vote, though. great product, albeit very exxy!

Latest posts

Back