Wadde Want, Polyclar Brewbrite. Wenna We Want It? Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy ****, added 1 teaspoon to some cold water & to the boil 10 minutes out. I drained most of the kettle using my hopscreen (with pickup in the centre of the kettle) to find 1 inch of break compacted nicely on the bottom of the kettle. Will be interested to see how the beer comes up.

Cheers

Paul

I just got some from Ross. I'm going to brew tonight and see how this goes and hopefully have a 'Eureka!' moment.

Fast delivery too, thanks Ross :)

Mine just arrived (brewed a batch yesterday - didn't expect such fast delivery, thanks Anthony). Have done some reading but still not sure as getting some conflicting stuff:
This is a keetle fining, so replaces my koppaflok yes? Where I'm unsure - can I also use it to drop the yeast in secondary / cc? Or do I continue to use gelatine as before?
Cheers.

gelatine as before - it has no effect on yeast.

cheers Ross

Holy shit!
Funny stuff isn't it? Very, very fine powder. Blows around in slightest breeze, and difficult to reclose the bag as the superfine powder gets into the ziplock thingo.
Didn't rehydrate it, just measured into container with the yeast nutrient and chucked it all in @ 10 mins. Needed a bit of a stir as it clumped up (Brew balls?) but it soon disolved. Still has a lot of convection going on (90c) but already can see the difference to the wort between this and the koppafloc I have been using.
I've never had such bright wort 10 mins after the boil!

Thats why I ended up using a screw top jar, its also hydroscopic, so you want to make sure to keep it well closed between uses.
I get the best results by mixing in cold water (fridge water is best), making sure you break up any lumps and allowing to stand for 10 minutes or so before adding it to the whirlpool.
The clumps of flock that form are so big that I found I was breaking them up by stirring after adding the BrewBright.
MHB

whats the ideal storage conditions MHB? Fridge or room temp?

Thanks for the tips MHB.
Will pinch one of Mrs Spork's jars for storage.
Will try rehydrating too next time, and adding to whirlpool instead of to boil.

Edit:
Just whirlpooled, and it has all broken up into fine suspended particles.
Can I add more BB at this stage, or just wait and it will settle out?

Noticed a touch of chill haze using this on one beer, none on the other couple using this. Have used whirfloc and pooyclar before with good results. Brewbrite is fantastic floccer but do others use polyclar as well?

The manufacturers state that polycar can still be used in the final beer, which would suggest to me it's a step you may well need to take.

cheers Ross

whats the ideal storage conditions MHB? Fridge or room temp?
Cool and low humidity, I wouldnt recommend putting it in the fridge and one of those little desiccant sachets is a god idea.

Thanks for the tips MHB.
Will pinch one of Mrs Spork's jars for storage.
Will try rehydrating too next time, and adding to whirlpool instead of to boil.

Edit:
Just whirlpooled, and it has all broken up into fine suspended particles.
Can I add more BB at this stage, or just wait and it will settle out?
Just wait it will still settle, just find it is faster when added to the whirlpool.

If you are still experiencing chill haze, you could try upping your dose a bit, or if you really want crystal clear beer try some of the 70/30 version as a post cold conditioning treatment.
Its a mixture of PVPP and Silica Xerogel, the PVPP binds polyphenols and the Silica binds high molecular weight proteins so it tackles both sides of the haze equation.
MHB

Where can I get the 30/70 stuff MHB?
Post cold conditioning. So - between CC and kegging / bottling?
Exactly how / when is this added.

The cube had lots of jellyfish - I've never seen so many.
I racked it into fermenter (from top of brew fridge so it gets aerated and left the break that had settled in the bottom behind, but several of the floaty jellyfish things went through.
IIRC jellyfish OK, cottage cheese bad? There was lots pf the cottage cheese in the bottom of the urn after it settled following whirlpool, but not in the cube. So, all good I'm hoping.

So would most people suggest that this is all you need apart from when doing very pale beers you want to be bright?

Can you add the Brewbrite (Polyclar) to the whirl pool after you have chilled with an immersion chiller or does it need to be added to the hot wort and hence the whirl pool prior using a plate chiller or No Chilling??

Cheers

Wobbly

Where can I get the 30/70 stuff MHB?
Post cold conditioning. So - between CC and kegging / bottling?
Exactly how / when is this added.

The cube had lots of jellyfish - I've never seen so many.
I racked it into fermenter (from top of brew fridge so it gets aerated and left the break that had settled in the bottom behind, but several of the floaty jellyfish things went through.
IIRC jellyfish OK, cottage cheese bad? There was lots pf the cottage cheese in the bottom of the urn after it settled following whirlpool, but not in the cube. So, all good I'm hoping.
Not touching the first question
The info sheets at the end might help with the rest.
M

So would most people suggest that this is all you need apart from when doing very pale beers you want to be bright?
I use BrewBright in all my brews as a replacement for any/all other finings and generally find it to be more than adequate.
Have only used the Polyclar 70/30 to test the products performance and in a couple of brews where I wanted stunning clarity (showing off) I posted a picture earlier in this thread post # 40.
Normally I couldnt be bothered, but its nice to know there are options if you want to exercise them.

Can you add the Brewbrite (Polyclar) to the whirl pool after you have chilled with an immersion chiller or does it need to be added to the hot wort and hence the whirl pool prior using a plate chiller or No Chilling??

Cheers

Wobbly
One of the two ingredients in BrewBright is k-Carrageenan, selectively extracted from seaweed (Irish Moss and others) in a highly refined form called Kappa-Carrageenan and is the most effective kettle fining of the many types of Carrageenan.
It is insoluble under 60oC so yes it needs to be added to the wort above this temperature.
Getting the most out of is going to be a matter of trial for each system, if you are going to use an immersion chiller it might be a good idea to try adding the BrewBright to the whirlpool, allow the rotation to stop, then put the immersion chiller in, that shouldnt disturb the cone too much.
BrewBright View attachment 51218
Polyclar 70/30View attachment 51217
MHB

hhhmmmmm... I got all excited yesterday and added 10g at 10 mins instead of 4g of Brewbrite..... Anyone have an idea of how this will effect the brew?

I have just filtered my first brew using this and wow - crystal clear out of the fermenter with the most solid trub I've ever seen. The filter looked like I could put it straight back in the cupboard after use.

No idea if it was all to do with the Brew Brite but I haven't seen it this good before, and the beer was the clearest beer I've ever made (it was Argon's LFPA recipe).

We'll see the difference in time with different types of beer but on first impressions I'm pretty stoked.

Back