Wadde Want, Polyclar Brewbrite. Wenna We Want It? Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I have actually obtained a quantity of Polyclar Brewbrite (use in kettle in last 10 minutes of boil) - from a confidential source - and will report on results.

Congratulations?

:lol: :lol:

funny_pictures_mouse_in_cheese_says_that_life_does_not_get_better.jpg

Not really, it's just that although this product is available commercially it's not stocked by any of our Aus home brew suppliers. It's as if Isinglass was not available in Australia - please explain.

Hello Bribie. Have been using polyclar VT as kettle fining for my BIAB batches (only 3 so far) . The link you posted wont work on my 'puter. How is the brew brite better?

Don't really know if the vt is going any good as my lagers are lagering right now!

Hello Bribie. Have been using polyclar VT as kettle fining for my BIAB batches (only 3 so far) . The link you posted wont work on my 'puter. How is the brew brite better?

Don't really know if the vt is going any good as my lagers are lagering right now!

Hey 4x, kettle fining? as instead of koppa, whirl? I remember maybe TB throwing this up in a BIAB thread a few moons ago, it was all a bit technical but having some unused vt on hand I gave it a go as a kettle addition, made no difference! but i didnt have a haze problem to start with <_<
The brewbrite genda is, a lot of this is good "if" i.e
Factors Affecting Polyclar Brewbrite Performance
Several raw-material and process factors affect the performance
of Polyclar Brewbrite in practice. These include: malt variety,
degree of malt modification, mashing temperature and profile,
time of addition, dose rate, hot wort clarity, wort gravity,
wort pH, level of cold break protein, and wort polyphenol levels.

Rest assured it`s ok in your beer so they say,.... the experts said caramel they used in the big breweries in the 70`s was ok too :ph34r: .

Bribie,

Plenty of products already on the market that will give you similar if not better results. Brewbrite's MSDS, until recently, stated its shelf life once opened, as being very short (just a few months) so was not really viable as a home brew repacked item. I'm not sure if the product has been changed at all, but the lack of any "best before" now being quoted seems a little suss. With the move to our new brewery we'll be giving this product a trial & depending on results & answers to the questions we'll be asking the manufacturer we may stock it.

Good brewing practice should really make most of these products unnecessary, though I'm guillty as the next man in often taking the easy option.

Cheers Ross

Hey brib, is this the stuff u guys were talking about at chappos brew day and several of u thought was shit hot? Cause u guys had pretty good results from what I remember of the day...

Will be interesting to see the results, Ross. Brewers have been using stuff like Isinglass, Caragheenan, diatomeceous earth, etc for a long time for good reason and I wouldn't call it an 'easy option' as such, just that if it's available to the trade out there it's nice to be able to get it for home use as well to play around with. I agree that for, say a trad lager then a good long primary and a month or so in lagering then it's sorted itself out without further tweaking. However it there are agents to give various beers better wort collection, stability and clarity then why not.

Hey brib, is this the stuff u guys were talking about at chappos brew day and several of u thought was shit hot? Cause u guys had pretty good results from what I remember of the day...

Thats the stuff, crystal clear beer as we saw and tasted on the day :ph34r:

Brewbrite is awesome ! I was a sceptic the first time I used it but soon became a complete convert. When combined with a good whirlpool and rest it is the best kettle fining by a mile.

It seems to be well respected in the industry, I suppose from our point of view - as Ross explained - it's a question of getting a stable reliable product that can be distributed in-date to the home brewers. At a good price as well :)

I have requested samples of the stuff.. there is even a small chance I might get them one day (but I hold no great hope)

I guess if you aren't currently a PVPP user, then brew bright wont hold a lot of attraction - but I certainly am. The ability to add it as a substitute for my current carageenan addition, ditch a separate PVPP addition and kill 2 birds with one stone would take a chunk of effort out of each beer I make.

Perhaps if those of us who were interested put in a pre-order?? Then when there are enough of us it might justify Ross (or another retailer) buying a package, splitting it up and shipping it out all in one go. Whether we use it before it goes bung then becomes our problem - we bought it aware of the issue.

I'd be up for that.

TB

Count me in if you are examining that option thirsty, always looking for improvements to my process.

Cheers.

I seem to be getting different messages on this BrewBrite depending on who I'm speaking to about it.

Does it do the same as Polyclar, that is fix chill haze or does it also act like koppa, whirl ?
I would need to know the shelf life of the product as Ross indicates it would be very short and therefore as home brewers we may be storing it to long, I see you only need to add 2-4 gms per 23lt batch.
How long has this BrewBrite been about before we even order any?

Batz

Batz,

It basically performs like a mix of whirfloc/polyclar as a one addition fix. They do recommend adding polyclar afterwards if still having haze issues, so maybe not a complete fix.

cheers Ross

Batz,

It basically performs like a mix of whirfloc/polyclar as a one addition fix. They do recommend adding polyclar afterwards if still having haze issues, so maybe not a complete fix.

cheers Ross

Cheers Ross, I don't have a problem with chill haze since using a stepped mash. Having said this I still use polyclar in my lagers and pils as part of my brewing regime, mainly because I have a ship load of the stuff :lol:
I do know a brewer or two testing BrewBrite atm but if you don't have a problem before using it how can you tell if it works :p

Batz

I do know a brewer or two testing BrewBrite atm but if you don't have a problem before using it how can you tell if it works :p

Batz

Exactly, & why I had a wry smile at the guys commenting at the brew meet on how good it was, difficult to do a true side by side when adding to the boil. That said, the beer was bright & that's what you're looking for, so definately an option worthy of further investigation.

Cheers Ross

well i should be a test case then. i dont filter and only use whifloc in kettle. so my beers tend not to be too bright until they have had a lot of cold conditioning. Ive never paid too much attention to the looks becasue unless its in a comp, im brewing for myself and i dont care all that much about looks to worry about going to the extra effort.

as said, shelf life would be the make or break issue i recon.

I have requested samples of the stuff.. there is even a small chance I might get them one day (but I hold no great hope)

Good luck with that. I tried a couple of times to get a sample out of them a while back and nothing happened. I can't find the discussion thread of the moment.

Adding PVPP to the boil appeals to me due to the reduction in the number of *things* I have to do along the path, and what it does do appeals to me because I tend to have a fairly fast 'boil to glass' regime these days. It does seem to work for me, but the effects are not as marked as the separate addition, I think.

Back