Wadde Want, Polyclar Brewbrite. Wenna We Want It? Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, same here Bribie - normally when I put in my kettle finings (I use course ground k-carageenan) what happens is that over a period of time, mostly in the whirlpool... The flocs of hot break aggregate together into larger snowflake like chunks. the brew bright makes it look like someone has coarsely crumbled stale bread into the brew pot. Rounder chunkier particles that rapidly sank.

How much you using? I used 6g in a 25L post boil volume. Hydrated the stuff into a slurry with cold water before stirring it in.

TB

two rounded teaspoons.
I've repackaged mine into these in the freezer and it's free running and not getting sticky at all.

+1 Thanks Mark.

I've used silical gel in conjunction with polyclar VT... now that seriously kills off any chill haze, and if you are careful about oxygen and perhaps can bring yourself to use a little S02... you'd get almost big brewery shelf life out of filtered and kegged beers.

Your method with the polyclar is exactly why the brewbrite is a product that interests me so much... I almost always filter via gravity, directly from the primary. So to get normal polyclar into the beer, I have to open up the primary, stir the stuff in without stirring up the yeast etc close it up and let it sit for a while, hoping it all gets enough contact to do its job. The brewbrite has done its work already, so I can just bung the beer through the filter without any further interference.

I'm still not totally sold... taking the polyphenols out in the kettle can have other effects, reduction of cold break volume being one of them. That may well be a good thing - or it might not. But for now, I like the way its looking.

TB

I'm gonna pick some of this up tomorrow.
Has anyone used it directly into the fermenter?
If so what were the results like ?

Cheers, Mat

Anyone heard and/or tried this. Add about 30g of finely crushed black malt to your light beers at the end of mash. the addition will not change the colour greatly but will absorb some of the polyphenols, tannins and long chained proteins that cause chill haze and astringent character in beers. Some of the largest breweries in the USA use this method for some of their lightest beers. You may have already noticed that chill haze is less of a problem (even nonexistant) in dark beers.Aha

20 litre batch size

I've had a long hard look at the shelf life question before spending the best part of a K on getting some into stock (the chemists that work for the manufacture were very helpful). Apparently the product doesn't degrade as such, it takes up moisture and gets gluggy and hard to use.

Exactly the problem I am having, gluggy and floats around doing nothing, thats what happened again this morning. I didnt transfer from original packaging thou? so am guessing in my very very cold brewhaus a fair amount of moisture has been absorbed?
Added a half koppa tab as well for justin.
If you are stocking this MHB, how do recommend people prepare it? Is there really a need to make a slurry if as your packaging suggests includes a moisture absorbant?

The Moisture Absorber is one of those little bags of silica gel, like you get in a lot of packaged food and electronic equipment it's inside the jar to keep the Brewbrite dry, you don't (please) add it to the kettle.

I got the best result by adding two rounded teaspoons (50 L batch) to some water to make a slurry, then just poured it into the whirlpool.

Very effective kettle fining, the amount of break and the way it clumped was amazing, as mentioned by a couple of other people who have tried it. I'm still a couple of weeks away from knowing how effective the PVPP part is at reducing chill haze, but it will be my kettle fining of choice from now on.

MHB

Bribie

I looked at the Ziploc barrier bags as an option, they are cheaper than the jars I chose, the problem was that if some of the Brewbrite powder got into the Zipper you lost your moisture seal, Ok if you're very careful, and are willing to keep it in a freezer where the relative humidity is effectively zero. Not really a good choice for commercial packaging where you are protecting someone's investment often from the purchaser.

M

What I am asking is, not adding moisture absorbant packets to the boil BUT if thats how you read it, I am asking and providing feedback, this stuff may have a shelf life problem IMO with moisture, as MHB`S chemist verified. So adding a or a couple of moisture absorbant packs will fix? then great. Comparative to other finings re. preparation? why is there a need to make a slurry? its absorbant aka other pvpp products, why not add 10 minutes out and its absorbed and done its job. In my case I think my batch has already absorbed a heap of moisture, it will not break down but only clump like flour balls. Then I guess one has to persuade the crowd re. price? am guessing this stuff cost`s a shedload more than other kettle finings. Hence the commercial side of it. If it doesnt cost a shedload more, something has been done re moisture, then its probably going to be a winner.

I paid $7.95 for 100grams

You sure you havent got your V`s n B`s mixed up? Kettle finings = Polyclar Brewbrite, Other finings/after kettle = Polyclar vt.

$7.95 100 grams would put the koppa outa business wouldnt it?

Where are people getting this from???

Ah sorry my bad, thought you might have meant that you thought the moisture absorber was part of the product rather than part of the packaging.

I would definitely make a slurry, it only takes a couple of minutes and you get much better dispersal. One of the things I noticed was that the flock is much bigger what you get with Koppafloc or Whirlflock so if you add the Brewbrite too early, you tend to shred them when your start whirlpooling.

Best result was a slurry added a well established whirlpool

Brewbrite is more expensive than just Carrageen products, not surprising as it does more.
The recommended dosage is 10-20g / 100 L (call it 15g/hL), so 3.75g in 25 L, conveniently turns out 1 well rounded teaspoon is pretty much on the money.

MHB

Ah sorry my bad, thought you might have meant that you thought the moisture absorber was part of the product rather than part of the packaging.

I would definitely make a slurry, it only takes a couple of minutes and you get much better dispersal. One of the things I noticed was that the flock is much bigger what you get with Koppafloc or Whirlflock so if you add the Brewbrite too early, you tend to shred them when your start whirlpooling.

Best result was a slurry added a well established whirlpool

Brewbrite is more expensive than just Carrageen products, not surprising as it does more.
The recommended dosage is 10-20g / 100 L (call it 15g/hL), so 3.75g in 25 L, conveniently turns out 1 well rounded teaspoon is pretty much on the money.

MHB

If your stocking it and giving the reviews, you could be a little less coy, and tell peeps what they want to know.......... the price? they now have a fair assumption of what it is and does.

I will soon do just that in a Retail Thread, have been doing my own tests and getting a few locals to try it as well. So far the reports are excellent; one of the good things about AHB is that you get a lot of different people using different systems reporting their observations. That information can be very helpful when trialling a new product, hope I haven't been too heavy handed trying to solicit feedback.

MHB

You sure you havent got your V`s n B`s mixed up? Kettle finings = Polyclar Brewbrite, Other finings/after kettle = Polyclar vt.

$7.95 100 grams would put the koppa outa business wouldnt it?

The 500gram container he measured mine from was labelled "Brewbrite". He called it kettle finings with PPV but said it can also be used in the fermenter.

Pretty sure it's the same stuff this thread is about...

Someone hook me up for a trial!

The 500gram container he measured mine from was labelled "Brewbrite". He called it kettle finings with PPV but said it can also be used in the fermenter.

Pretty sure it's the same stuff this thread is about...

I would pay $8 for 100 gms of Brewbrite.

It was $7.95 for 100grams or $40 for 500grams.... Cheaper by the 100 bag????

I'll only be using it in the fermenter to get rid of chill haze. Got this cos I couldn't get the vt.

It was $7.95 for 100grams or $40 for 500grams.... Cheaper by the 100 bag????

I'll only be using it in the fermenter to get rid of chill haze. Got this cos I couldn't get the vt.

why waste your time?! add it to the boil where its supposed to be used.

Back