VICBREW 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GalBrew said:
You do realise that the venue costs quite a bit of cash to hire for the weekend right? Where exactly do you think the money goes to?
No, I didn't realise that. I have no idea where the money goes to.

Surely there are other options for a venue, if this is the case - I believe The Terminus doesn't charge Merri Mashers anything for use of their upstairs facilities. Perhaps a venue sponsor might be in order, rather forking out lots of cash for one... just an idea.

I must say that there were a fair few brewing events on in Melbourne this weekend, which may be part of the problem in gathering enough volunteers.

Look it's obvious something need to change, you cannot keep doing the same thing and wishing for a different result.
How many entries are people who are on this forum?
Not many! So how do novices find out to volunteer?
A tick box on the entry form?
And if the system cannot handle offering novice stewards a $5 entry for volunteering. The system is broke!

You have to adapt and change with the times folks

Just my 2c

timmi9191 said:
Any idea when the results will be published?
Nothing on the vicbrew website, nothing on Compmaster.

It's a bit piss poor that results can't be published at the conclusion of the event or at least on the same day.

Yob said:
Nothing on the vicbrew website, nothing on Compmaster.

It's a bit piss poor that results can't be published at the conclusion of the event or at least on the same day.
We were lucky the judging was finished, forget about results.

I know it was a tough day for those running the show, but given that winners were announced at the venue last night it would be nice for someone to spend 15 minutes at the keyboard to put up results for the rest of us to see.

Personally - I don't want to commit unless I can be sure I can follow through. Hence my feeble effort of dropping in and just saying "how can I help". Was happy to put my petite little man hands to good work in a sink of icy cold water for an hour or so.

I will happily weigh up my plans at the time and try to be more involved next year - but I struggle to plan a few weeks ahead let alone a full year.

As with most other people weekends are always a juggling act of spending time with family/loved ones and getting the obligatory chores done around the house etc.

So I get both sides of this argument - but I worry that this thread has the potential to cause more harm than good. With the good Vicbrew folks feeling a bit "F*ck you brewers why should I put in all this effort for you..." and then others in the homebrew community feeling a bit "F*ck you Vicbrew - don't go taking that tone with me..."

I think we should all settle back and as the saying goes "Relax and have a Homebrew" - Vicbrew did an awesome job this year running the comp, and Vic Brewers did an awesome job of brewing a record number of beers. Lets go smash those other states in the Nationals with our awesome brews.

GalBrew said:
We were lucky the judging was finished, forget about results.
Im usually involved mate, have been for several years, I know the score, but Im also keen to get the results like many other entrants. The job isnt finished when the last glass is washed, its finished when the results are posted and people have their score sheets.

I know, but you weren't there yesterday, it did not start well with the lack of people. If we had to be out of the venue when we were originally told, judging for 2 categories would not have been completed. We were lucky the room was not booked for the evening or we would have been royally fucked. Also keep in mind that Compmaster has nothing to do with the stewards, so unfortunately for us once the last glass is washed and packed away we are done.

I responded saying I was interested stewarding or judging, didn't hear anything. Mate didn't hear anything either.
I know someone else who got a confirmation but then apparently they weren't on the final list and told they weren't required.

Can't blame this all on the volunteers. Sounds like the organisation of the event may need to be looked at. Bit rough to just throw blame around here at us.

It takes us a good couple of hours to sort out and put up results after Pale Ale Mania, an event that had around a tenth of the entries of VicBrew. People need time to unwind after these things. I'm sure they are furiously making every effort to ensure it's ready to publish.

Whatever did happen, didnt happen, could have happened, should have happened really is a matter for a debrief by the organising committee and doesnt need to be played out here, i dont think.

As an entrant, Im not involved in the politics and have no desire to be, I just want to know the results.

timmi9191 said:
As an entrant, Im not involved in the politics and have no desire to be, I just want to know the results.
And that right there is part of the problem. They'll be up when they are up.

May be we should be all a bit more grateful for those that volunteer. Vicbrew would not happen without the volunteers and Martin and Galbrew worked like dogs. I stewarded on Sunday and it was tough due to a shortage of stewards. If you don't like the way something is done then volunteer and help make the change. I suspect the results have been delayed due to the event running over due to number of entries and a deft in volunteers. Even though the winners were announced yesterday, I believe there were a number of checks and clarifications needed before the results would be published. I know the wait is torture.

Must say that I really enjoyed being involved for the first time this year and highly recommend it! Overall the comp was run very well from my point of view and I only got to see what happened on Saturday. From running events myself in the past, I am sure countless hours went into this in the lead up and for many of us we don't see it and therefore difficult to appreciate.

Well done Vicbrew team and to all the volunteer stewards and judges on the weekend!

GalBrew said:
And that right there is part of the problem. They'll be up when they are up.
Are you seriously suggesting that those that have entered a competition and want to know the results have somehow contributed to whatever problems were encountered in the running of the comp?

timmi9191 said:
Are you seriously suggesting that those that have entered a competition and want to know the results have somehow contributed to whatever problems were encountered in the running of the comp?
Yes. If you enter a comp run by volunteers and have no interest in helping then yes are are not helping the comp run are you? We have had massive growth in entry numbers over the last 2 years but no increase in volunteers putting their hand up to do the thankless tasks required. So if you want your results a bit quicker then maybe it wouldn't hurt to get involved??

Cheers Paul. Thanks too for coming out. On the topic of results I am open to having a live Twitter/Facebook feed for the place getters as they are announced. But that won't give you the whole comp results any earlier.

Latest posts

Back