Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PET Bottles are those plastic things you can get from BigW coopers style?
Yup, some of the Coles and Safeway stores have em too, and a couple of $$$ cheaper.

If you can't manage to get PET's, just use glass, nobody's going to mind.

Yeah, Can always get a 1L container and blend from kettle to kettle until we have matching pre-boil OG via refrac or something. Then simply and 1/2 1/2 the caramelised runnings into each kettle.

Thought bubble...

Assuming both kettles have "outlet" taps, you could connect the two outlets via a single hose, fill one kettle and it will fill both equally (assuming you have the kettles at the same height). If you keep them both well mixed (odd stir with mash paddle?) you should get close enough to the same OG etc?

Yup, some of the Coles and Safeway stores have em too, and a couple of $$$ cheaper.

I've gone with a mix of plastic and VB longnecks. I expect a fight pit to start up over who gets the long necks (a whopping 10ml bigger!)

PET Bottles are those plastic things you can get from BigW coopers style?

Spot on!

BTW, these are the results of the TTL clone via Wyeast 1968. The grain bill was identical to the coveted clone on here.. unless im colourblind, this is amber/orange and the original is honey?! :huh: (observe bottom of the glass)

TTL_Clone.JPG

ttll.JPG

Thought bubble...
Assuming both kettles have "outlet" taps, you could connect the two outlets via a single hose, fill one kettle and it will fill both equally (assuming you have the kettles at the same height). If you keep them both well mixed (odd stir with mash paddle?) you should get close enough to the same OG etc?

I'd say that would work, assuming it doesnt transfer more of the high gravity stuff from the primary kettle to the secondary as you fill. (i assume you will only get flow in one direction thru the joining hose and loose most of the HG wort into the second kettle)

BTW, these are the results of the TTL clone via Wyeast 1968. The grain bill was identical to the coveted clone on here.. unless im colourblind, this is amber/orange and the original is honey?! :huh: (observe bottom of the glass)

View attachment 32230

View attachment 32229

Clarity aside... the colour of mine was pretty damn close using the 'coveted clone' recipe... but taste was def different...

i gave away all my glass longnecks when I went to kegs..

now i use old JS golden ale stubbies..

Clarity aside... the colour of mine was pretty damn close using the 'coveted clone' recipe... but taste was def different...

Yeah, i'd say yours was closer, maybe its because i used carafa?

The bottle version looked even lighter than taht in the pic too.. almost 'emoticon' gold/yellow.

Thought bubble...

Does the Hose have to be Silicone Leigh? :p

Rook

OK, UPDATE!

Dave at Greensy Homebrewing has 100% changed to Simpsons Golden Promise, currently he does not have any in stock and was awaiting the distributor (i think its bintani) to get some in. He anticipates to have it in a fortnights time... just in time for the brewday.

I have just knockd up an example recipe @ 68% Brewhouse Eff, just a guessing game.. i simply grabbed my original one (the hops where pretty similar) and adjusted the malt and scaled it up (with roundings).

REAL TTlandlord
Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 23/10/2009
Batch Size: 100.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 126.39 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
22.00 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 100.0 %
150.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.1 IBU
130.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
130.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (0 min) Hops -
8.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
16.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %
Bitterness: 32.0 IBU
Est Color: 4.8 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 60.72 L of water at 72.0 C 66.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 50.60 L of water at 92.0 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
CaCl into mash.
CaSO4 into boil.

Water profile(final)
100ppm Ca, 150ppm SO4, 71ppm Cl

Caramelise 5L~ of 1st runnings.

sorry 4* ive been fishing all weekend and not in contact with the intrawebs

That recipe looks good on first glance, but just a thought as i only have a 50L mashtun, im thinking 22kgs of malt + mash water may push it and then sparging.

If somebody has a bigger mashtun or even just another 50L it would be handy (probably Gava, mrpolly or notung, Locals).

So, When is everyone going to update the list with their RSVPs and/or beers they are brewing?!?

sorry guys, I was hoping to make it to the swap, but I just realised that it's my father-in-law's 60th a couple of days after the swap, and I think he's planning a party for the swap weekend - so I'm out.

Can anyone near murrumbeena take my beers to the swap?

I can throw my 55 litre Esky mash tun in if you want

Rook

That recipe looks good on first glance, but just a thought as i only have a 50L mashtun, im thinking 22kgs of malt + mash water may push it and then sparging.

If somebody has a bigger mashtun or even just another 50L it would be handy (probably Gava, mrpolly or notung, Locals).

I have a 55lt (45lt) Willow Esky mash.. I can bring along.

Whos big blue monster mashtun was used last swap?

Whos big blue monster mashtun was used last swap?

mine.

your all welcome to use again it provided :

a. someone transports it up and back

b. it comes back clean and shiny

c. it comes back in one piece

sorry guys, I was hoping to make it to the swap, but I just realised that it's my father-in-law's 60th a couple of days after the swap, and I think he's planning a party for the swap weekend - so I'm out.

Can anyone near murrumbeena take my beers to the swap?

WW,

I should have room now, as I don't think the family will be making the trip up to sunny Bendigo for the weekend any more.

Back