Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, When is everyone going to update the list with their RSVPs and/or beers they are brewing?!?

Hutch, DonMateo, Lucas? Everyone else?

Little update, kegged the Rice Lager lastnight and force carbed. Its got a slight sulphur note which should dissipate by the time the swap comes around. Tasting quite good too.

Pretty sure I've updated with my attendance. While I've suggested two brews I will be picking the best batch I have (and I have others fermenting) as I'm so far unhappy with the intended pils.

yeah ive updated my attendance
and im the culprit who made positive attendees in red.

might bash out a CPA to bring up. maybe with an interesting hop schedule for fun.

Pretty sure I've updated with my attendance. While I've suggested two brews I will be picking the best batch I have (and I have others fermenting) as I'm so far unhappy with the intended pils.

Bummer, bring some along for feedback if it doesnt make it? If the sulfur doenst dissipate over the next 3 weeks i might make a quick change to something else. No use drinking arse beer. Ive got a Aussie "clean" ale fermenting atm on a repitch of US05, hopped with Superpride... should be interesting!

Anybody got any thoughts or opinions on what we undertake to do on the day?

Last swap we did the DSGA and the Green Bullet SMASH. How about the Super Landlord recipe that's been popular on AHB recently, or a nice light Aussie lager?

Probably best to stay away from complex brews, as the emphasis of the day will be on drinkin', not brewin'

Last swap we did the DSGA and the Green Bullet SMASH. How about the Super Landlord recipe that's been popular on AHB recently, or a nice light Aussie lager?

Probably best to stay away from complex brews, as the emphasis of the day will be on drinkin', not brewin'

Yeah, about that TTL clone out there... nice beer, had it the other night. some interesting comparisons to the real one, and well, at least it was tasty.

The TTL is a nice beer so my vote is for that one.

Maybe without the choc malt and caramalise the first runnings.

Yeah, about that TTL clone out there... nice beer, had it the other night. some interesting comparisons to the real one, and well, at least it was tasty.

Yeah :rolleyes: , Nice beer... just aint landlord. How about we do a REAL landlord. 100% golden promise and some caramalisation of 1st runnings? if thats the case, i'd be interested in a cube of it. ;) i dont mind sitting there cooking down the runnings either.

EDIT:
Great minds think alike ;)
The TTL is a nice beer so my vote is for that one.

does it use a decoction mash and/or just caramelisation of runnings? i cant remember.

does it use a decoction mash and/or just caramelisation of runnings? i cant remember.

caramelisation

i can also donate the hops for it. some styrian and EKG.. i think i have 80g of each floating around.

i dont mind sitting there cooking down the runnings either.

Caramelise, cooking down, decoction mashing. Please allow me to re-emphasise my original point...

Saying that, us brewing n00bs would be interested in seeing how it's all done. Have got the equipment finally set up for my first AG, just need to find some time...

"Do, or do not, there is no try"

caramalisation is easy. not hard. so its still viable.

fourstar is right... 100% Golden Promise and caramlised first runnings to promote the colour and flavour.

I will be giving this approach a crack next time around...

Brendo

Caramelise, cooking down, decoction mashing. Please allow me to re-emphasise my original point...

Caramelising runnings is not that difficult, its just like making toffee. You only really need to watch it as its about to turn because it goes from sticky to $hithouse in a matter of moments!

The only issue with caramelising 1st runnings is we have to boil down the runnigns and it might throw out preboil gravity out (thus knock our utilisation around). Thirstyboy has a good point in the caramelisation thread, get some DME and caramelise that and add it at the end of the boil..

Another option is we could deliberatly oversparge for 5 L and take the runnings somewhere in the middle so the concentration isnt as high?

Just throwing ideas around.

Either way i know for sure that beer will continue to flow whilst the beers are being made.

fourstar is right... 100% Golden Promise and caramlised first runnings to promote the colour and flavour.
I will be giving this approach a crack next time around...
Brendo

When we do it on the swap i assume? :p

Btw, your beer was tops brendo. i wish i had some of mine leftover as it was very similar, minus the yeast.

sounds like it's pretty set on the traditional TTL style, what set-ups can we get on the day? Assuming Kleiny's rig will be operational, any other local rigs to get a big batch, or a second?

sounds like it's pretty set on the traditional TTL style, what set-ups can we get on the day? Assuming Kleiny's rig will be operational, any other local rigs to get a big batch, or a second?

Could always do a double brewday on the ring, back to back batches are always worhtwhile. Get the HLT fired up and ready whilst the sparge is going and when boil is on, mash in. Once you have cubed up, you're starting the sparge.

I feel like im wasting 5-6 hours doing 1 batch when i can do two in 7-8, or three in 10 :ph34r:

:lol:

Only issue is, im assuming no one has GP in stock? Somone has todo a buy up hey?

Latest posts

Back