Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like it's pretty set on the traditional TTL style, what set-ups can we get on the day? Assuming Kleiny's rig will be operational, any other local rigs to get a big batch, or a second?

Rig will be right in one form or the other

I get my 70L kettles back from the welder this week so they should give us some good volume for the boil

Could always do a double brewday on the ring, back to back batches are always worhtwhile. Get the HLT fired up and ready whilst the sparge is going and when boil is on, mash in. Once you have cubed up, you're starting the sparge.

I feel like im wasting 5-6 hours doing 1 batch when i can do two in 7-8, or three in 10 :ph34r:

:lol:

Only issue is, im assuming no one has GP in stock? Somone has todo a buy up hey?
Back to back 40-45L batches is easily doable.

As for the grain, if you guys figure out who wants it to take home, and they are willing to kick in the funding, Im happy to pick it up from one of the site sponsers and bring it up.

Caramelise, cooking down, decoction mashing. Please allow me to re-emphasise my original point...
I can drink and watch other people work, so I don't see the problem with someone else doing some complicated brewing and me watching it :)

(I'll even happily open/pour beers for the guys doing the work, just to feel productive)

Back to back 40-45L batches is easily doable.

As for the grain, if you guys figure out who wants it to take home, and they are willing to kick in the funding, Im happy to pick it up from one of the site sponsers and bring it up.

I'll be happy to pitch in. I'll also be happy to offer assistance - (back seat assistance like cleaning tuns etc). I'm also happy to drink beer and attend barbecues if need be.

I'll be happy to pitch in. I'll also be happy to offer assistance - (back seat assistance like cleaning tuns etc). I'm also happy to drink beer and attend barbecues if need be.

Do you polish boots fine sir? ;)

I say the AG newbs need to be wrung out on the system.. learn the ins and out so they can catch the bug. Mants, you and i can revel in the breweries with more than 1 valve. (no not the one on my fermenter either!) :p

Yeah :rolleyes: , Nice beer... just aint landlord. How about we do a REAL landlord. 100% golden promise and some caramalisation of 1st runnings? if thats the case, i'd be interested in a cube of it. ;) i dont mind sitting there cooking down the runnings either.

Nah - done that, and won't do it again - Bairds GP is far too light and "dry" for TTLA, even with caremalised runnings. Either you get some TF Golden Priomise, or you stick to Marris Otter, with some extra crystal/choc.

So who's gonna supply the 1469 slurry :p

...as for me, I've been kinda busy with house-hunting and work, so brewing has taken a back seat. With any luck I'll get a swap brew down in the next week or so (hopefully!)
Hutch.

Any of you guys got a recipe posted for the Landlord? Chuck it in the brew day wiki

I've got myself down as a helper bee, but anybody else wants to help out, update as appropriate.

If we get the recipe, and the # people wanting to take home a cube (pick me!, pick me!) we can work out what we need to order in advance, then ping people for the do$h, so nobody's left with an empty wallet as well as an empty fermenter.

The only issue with caramelising 1st runnings is we have to boil down the runnigns and it might throw out preboil gravity out (thus knock our utilisation around).
hop utilisation? cant be more than a few % can it. throw an extra 10g in to compensate.

Do you polish boots fine sir? ;)

I say the AG newbs need to be wrung out on the system.. learn the ins and out so they can catch the bug. Mants, you and i can revel in the breweries with more than 1 valve. (no not the one on my fermenter either!) :p

Still consider myself a newb in many, many regards but if there's someone interested in making the leap who hasn't yet, then I think they should polish your valve.

Nah - done that, and won't do it again - Bairds GP is far too light and "dry" for TTLA, even with caremalised runnings. Either you get some TF Golden Priomise, or you stick to Marris Otter, with some extra crystal/choc.
So who's gonna supply the 1469 slurry :p
...as for me, I've been kinda busy with house-hunting and work, so brewing has taken a back seat. With any luck I'll get a swap brew down in the next week or so (hopefully!)
Hutch.

I can get my hands on Simpsons Golden Promise... My local uses them instead of bairds now for english grain AFAIK.

hop utilisation? cant be more than a few % can it. throw an extra 10g in to compensate.
Possibly, might have to look into it. especially if its 1st runnings (a signifigant amount, could potentially cut the boil OG in 1/2 or 1/3

... but if there's someone interested in making the leap who hasn't yet, then I think they should polish your valve.

:blink: For some reason i dont think they would be interested in doing that! :lol:

hopefully something to wet your appetite.

Aussie Gold Digger Lager
Meant to updload this earlier. This is my caseswap contribution. taken about 2 weeks ago, so its cleared up a little more than shown in this pic. the POR has settled out a little also. had one last night from my keg and it is a summer smasher. im tempted to filter it so its crystal clear and it presents better but i dont have a filter and frankly cant be arsed.

IMG_0143.jpg

im tempted to filter it so its crystal clear and it presents better but i dont have a filter and frankly cant be arsed.

Time is money my good man, give it time and all will be well.

So, what do you guys think about the 100% GP TTL? If bairds is a little avg Hutch, do you think it could have been a fermentation thing? e.g. too attenuated, no balanced correctly? We can always mash a little hotter. On the other hand if i get the simpsons GP none needs to worry yeah?

Also, i thaught the real TTL was quite dry anyway, especially with the lingering bitterness.

yeh i reckon its worth a go just to see the diff between that and the other clone recipes and have a go at cara of the first runnings

I dont have any of the ingredients but i do have a brewery and a gas bottle.

If we can get simpsons GP that would be great.

The next Q is how many want wort out of it?

I'm happy to help out with a TTL. Will be good to see some more advanced techniques (some might say I should learn to crawl before I walk)

Four*, have you got a recipe link, so we know what we need to purchase before the day?

Also, I've got a nice slurry of second generation 1968 currently growing in my fermenter. Is anybody interested in a sideline swap of yeast slurries? I'll chuck a section in the Wiki so people can express their interest, and what they've got to swap.

+1 for TTL clone being the brewed beer on the day
happy to chuck in some hops for the brew
+1 for a yeast/slurry swap.

The next Q is how many want wort out of it?
Kleiny, how big is your system? 100 lt if I remember correctly?

That kind of limits us to 5 cubes out of each batch.

I've started a "Take home cube" section in the Brew Day wiki for those interested.

Kleiny, how big is your system? 100 lt if I remember correctly?

That kind of limits us to 5 cubes out of each batch.

I've started a "Take home cube" section in the Brew Day wiki for those interested.

That was fents' kettle which was 100L

I currently only have 50L vessels

But i should get my 70L kettles back from the welder by then so that will make 2x70L kettles probably pushing 100-110L

Just cara the first runnings and add the rest of the sparge pumping between the 2 kettles to get an even gravity across the 2 kettles.

If we can get simpsons GP that would be great.

I'm ordering some grain for sunday so ill have a chat to Dave at Greensy if its Simpsons GP he has.

I'm happy to help out with a TTL. Will be good to see some more advanced techniques (some might say I should learn to crawl before I walk)
Four*, have you got a recipe link, so we know what we need to purchase before the day?
Also, I've got a nice slurry of second generation 1968 currently growing in my fermenter. Is anybody interested in a sideline swap of yeast slurries? I'll chuck a section in the Wiki so people can express their interest, and what they've got to swap.

We could always use the hopping schedule of the smurto (i think its simillar, the malts way off), Kleiny can you knock out something in beersmith for your system? With my one i think i used magnum for bittering (whcih is good and clean/neutral) as i didnt have fuggles, athough i think fuggles are a requirement as the bittering is quite up front in the real landlord.

BTW, i also used 1968 on mine, turned out really well, just pushed the malt a little more than in the original.

Just cara the first runnings and add the rest of the sparge pumping between the 2 kettles to get an even gravity across the 2 kettles.
Yeah, Can always get a 1L container and blend from kettle to kettle until we have matching pre-boil OG via refrac or something. Then simply and 1/2 1/2 the caramelised runnings into each kettle.

PET Bottles are those plastic things you can get from BigW coopers style?

Back