Vic Xmas In July 2008 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harold is now bottled. I learned something from this brew - just how worthwhile gelatine finings can be. Harold was looking like a glass of the Yarra just after a huge storm has hit Melbourne, but now it looks like beer again.

finings.JPG

I made 50L of Harold, and had 2 x 25L of it fermenting away with US-05. One got finings, one didn't. Shortly after, both had finings.

Had a carbonated and chilled sample of Harold tonight. I think you guys are gonna like it.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, can't get enough of that Weyermann Munich.

It's tasting pretty good after 1 week in the bottle, I'm really pleased I made 50 litres of this stuff so I get to keep some for myself. It should improve dramatically by the time the case swap rolls around, if my last APA was anything to go by.

Had a carbonated and chilled sample of Harold tonight. I think you guys are gonna like it.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, can't get enough of that Weyermann Munich.

It's tasting pretty good after 1 week in the bottle, I'm really pleased I made 50 litres of this stuff so I get to keep some for myself. It should improve dramatically by the time the case swap rolls around, if my last APA was anything to go by.

Looking good Wardhog ... guess this means I should start to think about getting my brew underway.

Checked the sg of my golden ale last night...tasted quite nice LOL. Will be bottled over the weekend to give enough time to drain and refill the PET bottle if need be :)

1. Peels - No idea yet
2. Fents - second effort kolsch or a Boh Pills
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - Amber Ale
5. Maple - Rye something or other
6. Andreic - Irish Dry Stout
7. Hairofthedog - Saaz Pilsner
8. Chris Taylor - Weizenbock
9. Barramundai
10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout
11. Cummins - No idea yet
12. DFT - belgian dubble
13- Citymorgue2 - Spiced Xmas Ale or Brown Bavarian Lager
14. 65bellett- Best Brown Ale
15. Justin T - Dusseldorf Altbier
16. DoppelBrewer - Doppelbock
17. NRB - dunno yet
18. Mark_M - APA or Summer Ale (even if it is winter)
19. Alvin Ng - No idea yet
20. mortz - Munich Dunkel
21. superhero - Milk stout
22. Quintrex/Voota - Coffee Stout
23. Warren - Robust Porter
24. Leigh - Amber or Golden Ale
25. Hutch - London ESB

Reserve 1. Lucas
Reserve 2.

the blueberry wheat turned out extremly undrinkable so ditched it for a saaz pilsner[

Geezus , just realised , ive been elevated of the bench and into this swap , pays to have a net connection to be able to check these things more often... better get brewing , good thing i have a seven day break after tonight at work .. i feel a two brew day coming up .. this could be interesting...

better go buy some PET bottles too ... as i had to ditch my entire empty glass bottle stash before i left Sydney , i have no emptys at all...

i'm not a fan of blueberries but still hope you bring along a bottle or two of your wheat to the swap day HOTD. wouldn't mind tasting it if i can make it along

-Phill

Isnt that a big part of the actual swap day is all about, trying everybodies successess and 'failures'? a good chance to try a lot of differant beers and meet like minded people, put faces to names? oh and to a have bevvie or 20 :lol:

I must admit im a bit slow with the brewing as the newborn is keeping us busy. I'll have to put down my caseswap one night this week otherwise it wont have enought ime to lager. Im going with a Mongrel Bavarian Brown Lager.

1. Peels - No idea yet
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - Amber Ale
9. Barramundai
12. DFT - belgian dubble
13- Citymorgue2 - Mongrel Brown Bavarian Lager
17. NRB - dunno yet
18. Mark_M - APA or Summer Ale (even if it is winter)
25. Hutch - London ESB

Reserve 1. Lucas
Reserve 2.

Im also racking (no pun intended) my brain to think what food I can bring that can outdo my sausage rolls. I know Fents is planning on serving those up this time.

1. Peels - No idea yet
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - Amber Ale
9. Barramundai
12. DFT - belgian dubble
13- Citymorgue2 - Mongrel Brown Bavarian Lager
17. NRB - dunno yet
18. Mark_M - Amarillo/Saaz APA
25. Hutch - London ESB

Reserve 1. Lucas
Reserve 2.

APA it is, brewed a double batch, kegged half, balance waiting to be bottled. A little understated on the hops, so dry hopped in secondary today, will bottle in a couple of days.

Re the label debate, I'll be lid numbering as required, but also putting Avery 64mm x 38mm label on side of bottle. I have way more sheets of labels than needed, if anyone wants supplementary labels, PM me & I will run off with swap number, AHB handle & style description. Can bring to swap day for affixing.

Cheers
Mark

That looks an interesting Hop combination Mark, if it's half as good as your Cascade/Fuggles APA it should be great.

Rook

That looks an interesting Hop combination Mark, if it's half as good as your Cascade/Fuggles APA it should be great.

Rook
Should be awesome Mark!
My last APA was Amarillo/BSaaz hopburst, and it's one of the best APA's I've done.
Looking forward to this swap.

Im also racking (no pun intended) my brain to think what food I can bring that can outdo my sausage rolls. I know Fents is planning on serving those up this time.

Only sausages i'll be making is on the barbie mate. Thought you were gonna hook the brotherhood up again? all good if not, i know how to make a great liquid lunch ;)

well dont I feel like a dumb arse. obviously my not drinking for over a week it taking its toll on me.

Rook

Thanks for the vote of confidence Rook.

Lighter bodied than last year's case swap beer (realised on brew night I was out of light crystal & substituted Amber), but the keg on tap is drinking well.

I did a brew last night using the last case swap recipe, should have some available to bring along to the swap.

Looking forward to it.

Mark

Guys your welcome to bring Kegs too. My fridge can only hold 3 (maybe 4) kegs and i only have a single font but maybe getting a double font before the swap tho, we'll see.

If not we can do the old bin --> ice ---> pluto gun trick.

I'll get some sort of large plastic tub or box we can fill with ice and use as an esky to store everyones bottles to drink on the day so we dont take up valuable keg fridge space.

Ive got a spare pluto thats come into my possession and Im happy to bring it on the day. no idea if its working though as my keg setup isnt ready yet.

Im also happy to bring along my trusty 100 can cooler to use as an ice tub if Im not lagering anything.

Fents - you mean you didnt put a shiny new 4 tap font on your wedding gift registry?! :lol:

Guys your welcome to bring Kegs too. My fridge can only hold 3 (maybe 4) kegs and i only have a single font but maybe getting a double font before the swap tho, we'll see.

If not we can do the old bin --> ice ---> pluto gun trick.

I'll get some sort of large plastic tub or box we can fill with ice and use as an esky to store everyones bottles to drink on the day so we dont take up valuable keg fridge space.

I can bring along a couple of extra plastic "picnic taps" if needed.
Have actually got a pluto, but it's sitting idle at the moment as the placcy taps work just fine for portable setups.
Mark

so we are sorted for taps.

CM2 i friggin knew i missed somthing on the registry! kickin myself ;)

Back