Vic Xmas In July 2008 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i think we all agree plastic is safer if not superior so plastic it is & il make sure to bring 25 plastic cups to the swap so no one gets hurt

ripped plastic could still make some nasty cuts. best to drink straight from the bottle! or better still striaght from the keg. thats it, kegs only!

a keg thrown off the rooftop, now that'd hurt

roughly 22L of belgian dark ale has made it into a secondary fermenter over the long weekend, there was a problem with an over active ferment spilling out over the sides and nearly popping some gladwrap. does not look like any of the bad guys found there way in, at least lets hope not 'cos another beer got dumped on the trub after the fermenter got a quick clean

-Phill

All else being equal, plastic is definately a better insulator than glass...

I remember drinking Carlton Cold in 500ml PET from the bottle-o...not sure if they are still available...

Do people realise that all cans are plastic lined? The plastic is sprayed on like paint on the production line...otherwise the food acids eat the can...

Anyway, I walked into two different Big W's and found Coopers PET's in each. At QV I took the last box, but Fountain Gate had heaps of boxes (probably 12 or more...)

so is now a good time to own up that Carlton Cold used to be my drink of choice (but it had to be 4C or less so you couldn't taste it) ...

... fortunately a 3 month stint in the UK cured me of that

and I personally think that Carlton Draught closely followed by just about anything with the word Toohey's in it are still lower on the beer appreciation scales

so is now a good time to own up that Carlton Cold used to be my drink of choice (but it had to be 4C or less so you couldn't taste it) ...

... fortunately a 3 month stint in the UK cured me of that

and I personally think that Carlton Draught closely followed by just about anything with the word Toohey's in it are still lower on the beer appreciation scales

old rule of thumb chris the worse the beer the colder it should be carlton cold should verge on frozen

1. Peels - No idea yet
2. Fents - second effort kolsch or a Boh Pills
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - Amber Ale
5. Maple - Rye something or other
6. Andreic - Irish Dry Stout
7. Hairofthedog - Blueberry Wheat ?
8. Chris Taylor - Weizenbock
10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout
11. Cummins - No idea yet
12. DFT - belgian dubble
13- Citymorgue2 - Spiced Xmas Ale or Brown Bavarian Lager
14. 65bellett- Best Brown Ale
15. Justin T - Dusseldorf Altbier
16. DoppelBrewer - Doppelbock
17. NRB - dunno yet
18. Mark_M - APA or Summer Ale (even if it is winter)
19. Alvin Ng - No idea yet
20. mortz - Munich Dunkel
21. superhero - Milk stout
22. Quintrex/Voota - Coffee Stout
23. Warren - Robust Porter
24. Leigh - Amber or Golden Ale
25. Hutch - London ESB

Reserve 1. Barramundai
Reserve 2. Lucas

In spite of earlier claims to the contrary, I shall be sitting this one out.

The coveted Position Number Nine is now up for grabs. Enjoy!

1. Peels - No idea yet
2. Fents - second effort kolsch or a Boh Pills
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - Amber Ale
5. Maple - Rye something or other
6. Andreic - Irish Dry Stout
7. Hairofthedog - Blueberry Wheat ?
8. Chris Taylor - Weizenbock
9. Barramundai
10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout
11. Cummins - No idea yet
12. DFT - belgian dubble
13- Citymorgue2 - Spiced Xmas Ale or Brown Bavarian Lager
14. 65bellett- Best Brown Ale
15. Justin T - Dusseldorf Altbier
16. DoppelBrewer - Doppelbock
17. NRB - dunno yet
18. Mark_M - APA or Summer Ale (even if it is winter)
19. Alvin Ng - No idea yet
20. mortz - Munich Dunkel
21. superhero - Milk stout
22. Quintrex/Voota - Coffee Stout
23. Warren - Robust Porter
24. Leigh - Amber or Golden Ale
25. Hutch - London ESB

Reserve 1. Lucas
Reserve 2.

Your in Barra. Are you going to attend the days Spills?

Bit dissapointed G Man. You brew so often and so much its not like its a time constraint thing! I want a full written explanation on my desk by 5pm please.

well ive decided to up the quality of my entry (hopefully). Ive decided to do an extract Brown lager (well inline with bjcp its probably more like a cross between a American Dark & Munich Dunkel) but have no idea about what would constitute a 'bavarian' lager as far as ingredients go. Any ideas? Ive got a recipe all sorted in my mind but thought I'd ask for suggestions to see if I was on the right track.

I wont go the xmas ale as it takes a little long to mature before its good.

well ive decided to up the quality of my entry (hopefully). Ive decided to do an extract Brown lager (well inline with bjcp its probably more like a cross between a American Dark & Munich Dunkel) but have no idea about what would constitute a 'bavarian' lager as far as ingredients go. Any ideas? Ive got a recipe all sorted in my mind but thought I'd ask for suggestions to see if I was on the right track.

I wont go the xmas ale as it takes a little long to mature before its good.

To me, a Bavarian lager would pale/golden, with a small amount of Saaz late. Take a Bohemian pils recipe, and slash the IBUs to about 1/2-2/3 (~20 IBU with 17-18 coming from the bittering addition).
You don't want a lot of hop flavour coming through.

yeah thats about the IBUs I was heading for and saaz was going to make up either all or most of my hop bill. The last version of this I made had a good saaz hit to cut through the extra malt/body that came with making it a brown lager.

My Irish Dry Stout is now in the bottle - PETs of course ;) It should be an improvement on my Irish Dry Stout in the July case swap last year.

Just checked the wiki - the ruling on bottles is "2. It is strongly recommended to use PET". I thought the ruling was meant to be "You must use PET". The initial post in this thread still says basically anything goes. I doubt everyone will be using PETs... anyway, who cares - looking forward to the contents of all bottles in a few months time.

cheers, Andrei

My Irish Dry Stout is now in the bottle - PETs of course ;) It should be an improvement on my Irish Dry Stout in the July case swap last year.

Just checked the wiki - the ruling on bottles is "2. It is strongly recommended to use PET". I thought the ruling was meant to be "You must use PET". The initial post in this thread still says basically anything goes. I doubt everyone will be using PETs... anyway, who cares - looking forward to the contents of all bottles in a few months time.

cheers, Andrei

Andrei,

Sounds like it should be a nice Winter beer.....

I thought the PET bottles were mandatory also.........i think a few sooked about spending some extra money

Rook

Just checked the wiki - the ruling on bottles is "2. It is strongly recommended to use PET". I thought the ruling was meant to be "You must use PET". The initial post in this thread still says basically anything goes.
Rule 2 is now fixed.

Looking forward to it Andrei. If it's as good as your Hefe then we're in for a treat!

Back