Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Can't find the 2017 Xmas in July recipe thread (if there is one?), so I'm chucking this up here.

This is NOT a recipe, just a listing of what I've got available to go into the "Dog's Breakfast" Friday night brew mayhem.

Malt Junkie, you offered to take-on the mantle of Head Brewer on this one, so here's the bad news......:

5.66 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)
5.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC)
3.10 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)
2.00 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC)
1.50 kg Caramalt Malt - 35L (Bairds) (69.0 EBC)
1.20 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)
1.00 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC)
1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)
1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)
0.90 kg Gladfield Munich Malt (15.5 EBC)
0.90 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)
0.64 kg Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (847.1 EBC)
0.50 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC)
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 65L (Bairds) (128.1 EBC)
0.50 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC)
0.50 kg Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (19.7 EBC)
0.50 kg Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (1083.5 EBC)
0.41 kg Pale Ale Malt (Bairds) (4.9 EBC)
0.36 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)
0.27 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC)
0.26 kg Black Malt (Simpsons) (1083.5 EBC)
0.20 kg Biscuit (Dingemans) (44.3 EBC)
0.19 kg Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (37.4 EBC)

I've got other stuff at CB that I've yet to even collate, but can all be added to the Mongrel.

Just out of interest, is this the list of spec's that went into the mongrel brew? (plus the Light crystal, dark crystal, Munich & Pale Ale MJ mentioned in post #700).
If so, that is an impressive list of malts! :D

Just out of interest, is this the list of spec's that went into the mongrel brew? (plus the Light crystal, dark crystal, Munich & Pale Ale MJ mentioned in post #700).
If so, that is an impressive list of malts! :D

I think there was probably more than that, but don't quote me. MJ was wearing the "Don't **** With Me" vest on that one:bowdown:

Right well I've just racked off a Golden Strong that was at 1072 OG.
I fermented it with 3787 and 3724
The case-swap beer has gone directly onto that cake and I'll give it the same temperature treatment as the Golden Strong.
Prolly use WLP500 in the bottle or cellar temp keg at the end to carbonate.
Could be real good - could be just plain wrong.

My OG reading was 1.076 btw

Right well I've just racked off a Golden Strong that was at 1072 OG.
I fermented it with 3787 and 3724
The case-swap beer has gone directly onto that cake and I'll give it the same temperature treatment as the Golden Strong.
Prolly use WLP500 in the bottle or cellar temp keg at the end to carbonate.
Could be real good - could be just plain wrong.

My OG reading was 1.076 btw
The OG for the Mongrel? or the stout?

I'll be finally getting around to brewing the case swap beer next - what yeasts do you recommend?
I have WLP085 and WLP545 - if both of those are suitable I can do one of each

They're both very different strains, one Belgian and the other English. I used the WLP085 and considering there is SFA info about it on the forum or in general I'm guessing you grabbed it from Martin. Mine only got down to 1.024 so I'd be curious to see how you go with it. The Belgian Strong yeast will give a very different character. Not suited to this brew in my opinion but having never used it who knows? The idea of a Belgian stout intrigues me.

They're both very different strains, one Belgian and the other English. I used the WLP085 and considering there is SFA info about it on the forum or in general I'm guessing you grabbed it from Martin. Mine only got down to 1.024 so I'd be curious to see how you go with it. The Belgian Strong yeast will give a very different character. Not suited to this brew in my opinion but having never used it who knows? The idea of a Belgian stout intrigues me.
Yep, got them both from Martin. I'll keep you posted how it goes.

How big was the starter you used for the 085? Both the yeasts are getting on a bit, so I figure I'd need at least 2L...

I went 2.5l, single step with yeast nutrient and O2 on a stir plate. Took about 4 days to ferment out.

Hey Wiggman do you scale your oxygen dosing based on volume/gravity for starters? Ie. if I do 0.5L/min for 1.5 mins for a 1.048 22L batch, I should do 0.1 L/min for 20 seconds for a 1L if 1.048 but if a 1.037 starter trim it back to 15 seconds? Is that logic sound?

Considering I don't have a DO meter I go largely by feel as you suggest, and I reckon the logic is sound. I still go 0.8l/min but only for about 15 seconds. My logic is amount of O2 required is proportional to the volume and OG.
0.8 l/sec for 60 secs = 0.8l for 23l of 1.050 wort (general recommendation gleaned from the internet, 0.8 is a good flow without causing surface bubbling)
approximately 1l O2 to 29l of wort
Scale to 2.5 litres, only require 0.09l
At 0.8l/sec, only need 5 secs

So if I back it off to 0.5 l/sec to prevent too much bubbling 10 seconds is ample.

I think it's more important to have to O2 in the headspace of the flask moreso than in the wort because typically the wort is still pretty warm so won't dissolve much like it would in a chilled lager. If I were you I wouldn't' split hairs over 15 or 20 seconds, a few cents of wasted O2 is better than not enough.

Where'd your general recommendation come from as the one I found was 0.5L/min for 1.5 mins for 1.050 wort 23L?

I realised my previous flow based on people on here was for 2 mins at 1.5L/min which was high and definitely bubbled up the surface of the wort (plus caused heaps of foam and mess)

Can't find exactly on the forum in work time but enough searching mentions Jamil's Yeast book saying 60-90 secs at 1 litre/min is adequate for most brews. I go 60 secs for lagers where I only keg (thus 19l), up to 2 mins for strong beers. I mention 0.8 l/min because beyond that I get bubbling with my setup. There are of course a lot of variables. Who would have thought?!

Cheers mate yeah think the yeast book is a great guide. I will see how this next starter step I do likes some O2!

Side note that Mexican lager yeast is ticking away (floccy one) and exhibited nothing odd in the starter taste/smell

Soooooo, ... does ANYONE have the OG for the Mongrel brew??

My Red Ale on the 022 yeast cake is done, so i need to decide whether to go with the Mongrel next or the Porter (OG of Porter is probably a fair bit lower, but being darker i'd prefer to ferment that after the Mongrel, dependent on how big the Mongrel OG is, of course).

I'm especially looking at you, Mofox! ;)
Case swap "dogs breakfast" brew....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back