Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did we talk further about MJ's idea to bring back a bottle or two for the next swap? 150mls per person x 24 = damn that's 3 ltrs ... maybe not
I'll bring the taster shot glasses(forgot this swap) so halve that. 2x 750ml should do it easily

Fridays brew had all the spec listed previously by Martin, plus a kilo of light crystal and and 2.5 of dark crystal. Then we had 1/4 shot ton of munich1 and the balance pale malt. (predominently JW Trad Ale)
Hops
60min 900g something english (25ish ibu)
Flame out 250g cascade flowers, 200g cascade pelletes, 100g simcoe, 100g gallaxy, 100g hallauter.
Thanks MJ!
Out of interest, do you (or the Assistants), know roughly the final volume that went into cubes?
&/or vaguely how many IBUs the flameout addition was intended to contribute.
From memory there was a refractor reading of 1.076 for the preboil volume, but I've no idea if that was before the sparge hit it. Any vague recollection of OG into the cube?

I've got some WLP085 spinning up on the stir plate as we speak, got it off Martin and never tried it before. There's little info on it out there but the description seems favourable.
US or lager yeasts? I reckon you'd be doing such a complex brew like this a disservice. English yeasts throw that classic character which pairs equally with English hops and malt, all of which should be showcased in this beer. It's all been said before. But that's my opinion, mix it up and we'll see the differences at the next swap.

^^+1
I'll probably ferment out mine as part of a 022 (Essex) run:
Bitter->Red->Mongrel->Porter->Stout.
Though given the amount of U.S. hops in the mongrel it might get a separate FV. Maybe. Probably not 'cause I'll be too lazy. But I'll think about it.

Some guy [emoji57] keeps banging on at these Swaps about how good 022 is, so I thought I might as well give it a run for its money.

Dogs breakfast final volume in the kettle I think Husky said earlier in the thread was 511L(no temp adjust)@1076, Pre boil was 1068/9. We lost 20-30L to hops and trub, ibu on the wirlpool NFI , it just smelled fine!! And I'm trying to remember if some mosaic went in there too. With trub and temp adjustment I'd ball park 450L into cubes.

I reckon I'll hold off and put an order in on Monday. Got all the gear for starters but hate doing them so only really use dry yeast.
I do have Wyeast 1335 and 1275 frozen but have had a couple off bad experiences with frozen yeasts where they have made the beer taste like shit so they can stay in the chest freezer for the rest of eternity.

Fridays brew had all the spec listed previously by Martin, plus a kilo of light crystal and and 2.5 of dark crystal. Then we had 1/4 shot ton of munich1 and the balance pale malt. (predominently JW Trad Ale)
Hops
60min 900g something english (25ish ibu)
Flame out 250g cascade flowers, 200g cascade pelletes, 100g simcoe, 100g gallaxy, 100g hallauter.

For anything more info, I defer to my brew assistants, of which there were many (thanks Lads!)and each were suffering varying states of sobriety/intoxication.

Throw some Us05 or similar at it, it'll be beer. It came out a copper-brown, so any one comping (we know you do) could aim it at American brown.

cheers
MJ

Bittering was 900g of 2015 crop Stirling. Originally 8.4%, but I "thumbed" 7% for this batch (how's that Yob?).

Adam, I'll happily take a jar of Dan's liquid fire off you if there's still some left & if Dan wants some $'s, will organise directly with him.

Without going into exquisite detail, thanks to everyone who contributed over the weekend. It couldn't have happened without the usual massive team effort. There's a couple of personal exceptions:

Wayne - Quiet achiever. LOVE your work, man. You're an absolute brick with these things.

Wiggas - Thanks for turning a blind-eye to the fact that I sat on your export stout all weekend once I'd homed-in on the the ONE beer I found I wanted to drink all weekend. 'Hope I didn't blow the keg a "nursed" half-glass at a time.

Hey guys a bit late on the thanks but that night was awesome. Still recon im in recovery. To many awesome beers i just had to try them all 5 times. The dedication you guys have to your craft is insane.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500159797.334182.jpg

They are the stats I took during dogs breaky brew, actual numbers.

DJ, the OG you have there was pre boil gravity, we didn't calc an end of boil, we didn't know the boil off rate ;)

How did you guys prepare your kegs when you brought them to the swap?

Do you just carbonate to regular pressure and then lower the PSI for serving (so it doesn't go nuts out of the shorter line)?

I know you've all been dying to know what happened to my brew controller and why it stopped working on the swap. Grab a chair and gather round...
Firstly who spilt half a cup of wort in my brew container? The container was lined with mould and fungus, half the gear was coated in mould and the controller was the worst of the lot. Took me a good 1.5h to wash it all with detergent and I hope I never have to scrape mould off the heatsink fins again. I had to throw a bit of gear out in the process, was not expecting that.
Anyway I cracked open the controller and not a single drop or wort made it inside - score, +1 for me and pedantic fitting. The screen was untouched. I noted the screen was dim and flickered so checked the voltages. The 5V terminal on the Arduino was 2.9V, which as you could imagine is not ideal. I changed it with a repaired spare (a diode had fried on it previously and I'd dodgily replaced, it wouldn't power via USB but still had the original program) and viola! Success. Powered up straight away with the screen bright as ever. No sooner had I dusted my hands when the screen went white and smoke escaped from the Arduino thanks to another faulty voltage regulator.
FML.

I know you've all been dying to know what happened to my brew controller and why it stopped working on the swap. Grab a chair and gather round...
Firstly who spilt half a cup of wort in my brew container? The container was lined with mould and fungus, half the gear was coated in mould and the controller was the worst of the lot. Took me a good 1.5h to wash it all with detergent and I hope I never have to scrape mould off the heatsink fins again. I had to throw a bit of gear out in the process, was not expecting that.
Anyway I cracked open the controller and not a single drop or wort made it inside - score, +1 for me and pedantic fitting. The screen was untouched. I noted the screen was dim and flickered so checked the voltages. The 5V terminal on the Arduino was 2.9V, which as you could imagine is not ideal. I changed it with a repaired spare (a diode had fried on it previously and I'd dodgily replaced, it wouldn't power via USB but still had the original program) and viola! Success. Powered up straight away with the screen bright as ever. No sooner had I dusted my hands when the screen went white and smoke escaped from the Arduino thanks to another faulty voltage regulator.
FML.
I have 3 or 4 spares with no plans could pop one in the post this arvo! call it reward for effort.:)

FML.
Wooho.. d'oh!

Latest posts

Back