Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arduino Nano malt junkie? Would be stellar if you could. I have 3 in the mail coming from NT and will order a 12 > 5V converter as well to do away with Arduino regulator issues. Apparently this is a common fault.

STC-1000 this weekend it is. No TFT display and step programming, the struggles of life.

First-world problem, eh?

Sorry to hear your gear got damaged on the weekend. 'Didn't even know about it, or we could've passed the hat around for you.

Then we found those alligator clamps on the fence the next morning that would have been the easy safeguard for that trap,
of opening the lid of the mash tun and that heavy ended recalculation hose that falls out onto the electronics, oops... :eek:
People unnecessarily cursing themselves for having too many drinks but prevention is better than a cure. In hindsight hah..
Just a friendly comment from an observer. It wasn't me! :D

Nah wasn't damaged from the weekend Martin, these counterfeit Arduino units are notoriously temperamental. My gear definitely got doused by that sweet sweet wort and I think I might have even done it myself once. It was an accident waiting to happen so I'll bend up some brackets next time. The mould however, I'm probably as much to blame because crap was everything on that pool area sticky.
Alligator clips would have been very welcome.

Anyone else brewed the swap brew? I didn't check the OG but the brew has stalled at 1.025 after about 10 days.

Ok. I think I might give it my new found friend yeasty M42 for this heavy bugger then. High attenuation.
Chewed through my latest stout in 3 days.
Should be fermenting the 40lt swap brew in the next week hopefully.

Last edited:
Have the swap brew 5 days in, though haven't checked gravity. Has anyone got the DB brew on some yeast?

How much of the sod perc and met are you supposed to use (for kegs, fermenters etc)?
1tbs/10L?

I've been using it for everything this week... bloody fantastic stuff. Put it on some mould spots on the kitchen silicone that nothing else could remove and it got rid of it in a day.
Even spilt some on the floor and now the grout is clean

For a PBW-alike go 3:1 sodium percarbonate:sodium metasilicate. I've found 30g/1.7l (a capful of sodium perc and a boiled jug of water) excellent for a single fermenter, keg or cube.

My brew has sat at 1.024 now and doesn't look to be going anywhere. It tastes good but 1.024 feels high. I used WLP085 English Ale Blend and spun up a 2.5l starter, given the O2 and nutrient treatment so I don't think it's an underpitch. Does anyone know the measured OG?
I'm thinking I'll keg and bottle the rest with minimal priming sugar, if it does want to drop further it'll have plenty of time to do so safely in the keg.

I go with 1tbs perc to 1tsp met per 5L of water (worked this out previously as 5g/L as per PBW instructions) as it's easy to remember and I have the spoons living in the containers, I use that for everything kegs, lines, kettle, mash tun, RIMS and have no issues with stubborn dirt! Haven't tried it on kitchen or bathroom silicone will give it a crack cheers! Reckon it poses any issues for marble tiles?

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
I got my new Nano's in the mail and long story short, the temp sensor was at fault and fried another Nano. And no, not the sensor we were dipping into the mash to measure the bed temp. FML, but after some faffing about at least the controller's ready for a brew tomorrow. :cheers:

Wow. That sucks a huge amount. I reckon you must've looked about as angry as Chris Scott after a 46 point loss at the Cattery, as the whisp of smoke emerged from the nano. [emoji51][emoji35]
Commiserations.

Transferred the swap brew last night, got tar?
IMG_20170806_161053.jpg

Transferred the swap brew last night, got tar?
View attachment 107499
Gedditinya. Your doing better than me, mine has been cold crashing for a week.... Just haven't had the time to transfer.

What did yours finish at? Mine was still at 1.020 after a full week after hitting that as a FG. Only took three/four days to get there though.

Pitched the swap stout on the 2nd and on the 5th it was @1.022, bumped up to 20C and now it's sitting at 1.018. Wyeast 1768 ESB 2nd generation = beast.

I wonder if this one will put the devil in me.

Mine finished at 1.024 according to my hydrometer and didn't want to budge from there. One day I might try WLP085 again, maybe this particular vial needed more get-up-and-go or there wasn't enough life in it. It certainly did ferment, sadly unlike MB's free frozen vial. Ed: one thing I will say is this yeast packed down hard on the bottom of the fermenter after about 18 days it, I could tip the whole thing and only left about 100ml without sucking yeast through. I didn't cold crash, just left the crappy weather to do its thing in the garage.
What was the OG? Did Danny say 1.071? Mick mentioned 1.076 pre-boil so it seems big, a 1.024 finish may not be that bad.

Latest posts

Back