Vic 2016 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WarmerBeer said:
What's the distance?

Although knowing this forum, somebody will pipe up to tell us we're all likely to die unless it's installed by a qualified electrician.
I think we've got way more risks of death through various other shenanigans over the case swap weekends than a few hundreds Volts[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

So we need power for;

-Pumps on brew rig
-Lights
-Stereo
-Bucking Bull Ride
-Pump for Jumping Castle

That would be minimal amperage.

Seriously, after some googling, and mental measuring - I am thinking 300-380 meters.

That's a fair distance, you are going to get a lot of voltage drop.

But I have no real idea about anything. Just ask my girlfriend.

Cocko said:
So we need power for;

-Pumps on brew rig
-Lights
-Stereo
-Bucking Bull Ride
-Pump for Jumping Castle

That would be minimal amperage.

Seriously, after some googling, and mental measuring - I am thinking 300-380 meters.
Well you have plenty of time to run mains power to the shed!

Nullnvoid said:
That's a fair distance, you are going to get a lot of voltage drop.

But I have no real idea about anything. Just ask my girlfriend.
I'll ask her when she wakes up, she will be heading home soon BTW.....

Maybe we could use wifi to power the day? I am not so tech savvy but if we sign up to google, surely we can map some power to the hill? In HDMI .mpeg?

380 metres... Not good. a 2.5mm2 lead which is a heavy duty extension lead. Calculating at 10 amps you'd have approx 160 volts at the shed end. So most stuff won't work. To get ten amps at 230 Volts to the shed you'd need a 25mm2 cable as a minimum. That's a super expensive cable.

Cocko said:
I'll ask her when she wakes up, she will be heading home soon BTW.....

Maybe we could use wifi to power the day? I am not so tech savvy but if we sign up to google, surely we can map some power to the hill? In HDMI .mpeg?
Thanks for the warning. Tell her to get milk too please.

I don't know how serious the jumping castle was but I could probably get one :)

380 meters? Over that distance, everyone is likely to die... unless it's installed by a licensed tradesman.

Seriously though, would it be that far? I remember you driving us to the shed but I thought that was just so you could rest your hand on my thigh. A couple of 50m leads would be stretching it but there'd be a fair bit of volt drop at 380 meters.

Gennies might be the most viable option. The pumps would draw bugger all and some LED battens could provide light without too much demand. I've got an Aldi generator that needs some TLC but could be resurrected for a good cause.

Orrrr.... we all chip in and send Mrs Cocko to a fancy hotel/day spa for the day...

Bridges said:
380 metres... Not good. a 2.5mm2 lead which is a heavy duty extension lead. Calculating at 10 amps you'd have approx 160 volts at the shed end. So most stuff won't work. To get ten amps at 230 Volts to the shed you'd need a 25mm2 cable as a minimum. That's a super expensive cable.
Looks like the Genni hum will be part of the tunes!!

Go with something like this and be done with it. Enough power to run a metric shitload of stuff.

Bridges said:

I think those heavy duty leads are still 1.75mm2 but just have heavier duty insulation! Got any 110v Chuggers Cocko?

Bridges said:
Go with something like this and be done with it. Enough power to run a metric shitload of stuff.
OMG.. too much noise .. I won't be able to hear myself fart and drink at the same time...1000 solar panels or 1 Martin powered by a pushbike generator powered by beer !

Unknown.jpeg

Or pilfer one of those sign genies they leave at the road side that tell you the road will be closed next easter for upgrade works costing $22m. Or just hire one from kennards.

Grainer said:
OMG.. too much noise .. I won't be able to hear myself fart and drink at the same time...1000 solar panels or 1 Martin powered by a pushbike generator powered by beer !

Thats cool, we will park it down the front and run leads.....

How long can you run leads?

Grainer said:
OMG.. too much noise .. I won't be able to hear myself fart and drink at the same time
Didn't you read the description? Silenced generator. I like this bit the best "Generate quite power in schools, hospitals, parties and events and residential areas." So, not quiet, but quite power. Sounds good!

I still like the idea of the Martin beer generator

Cocko said:
Thats cool, we will park it down the front and run leads.....

How long can you run leads?
You need to park it uphill stoopid. Current flows faster downhill.

Bridges said:
380 metres... Not good. a 2.5mm2 lead which is a heavy duty extension lead. Calculating at 10 amps you'd have approx 160 volts at the shed end.

Can we just talk in American accents and change the plugs on our equipment??

Latest posts

Back