Very strong brew question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViVaH8

Reaction score
Had a crack at making a strong brew using this Coopers Kilt Lifter Ale recipe

2 x 1.7Kg Coopers Pale Ale
1.5Kg Amber malt
1Kg Dextrose
300g wheat
Used Safale S-04 yeast and the kit yeast

Starting gravity was 1.102, measured it at 1.014 a week later (was very active) and four weeks later it is down to 1.006. There is still pressure in the airlock and not surprisingly it tastes very strongly of alcohol and not particularly nice.

My questions are this. Should I just keep it brewing until the airlock pressure normalises and the reading is stable? And more importantly, will it improve in the bottle and be drinkable, given that it will be about 13% ABV.

My thanks in advance for your opinions.

An apparent attenuation of 94% isn't something I'd associate with S-04. No idea about Coopers kit yeast but given their expected FG was relatively high (appropriate for Scotch ale) I think there's a fair chance you have something else in there.

Last edited:
I think there's a fair chance you have something else in there.

I can't think what else might have gotten in but I am astonished at how strong this is turning out. Only wanted a robust 8% or so brew, not rocket fuel.

what temp did you ferment At?

I've kept it pretty steady at the 20c mark, had one or two very hot days when it might have climbed to 26c

Once you're absolutely CONVINCED that it's finished fermenting, under-prime & bottle it, then put it away in a dark, cool place & forget it for about 3 years. Chances-are that you'll have something quite surprising when you get back to it.

1010 to 1014 the recipe says.
Maybe 1006 not such a stretch?

All the best.

Just trying to make sense of the numbers
How many litres of 1.102 SG wort did you have
Would I be right in assuming the Amber was a can of LME, and the Wheat was DME, or grain steeped or something.
Mark

Just trying to make sense of the numbers
How many litres of 1.102 SG wort did you have
Would I be right in assuming the Amber was a can of LME, and the Wheat was DME, or grain steeped or something.
Mark

My apologies the litres is indeed somewhat important.

It was 21 litres total, 1.5Kg Amber LME and 300 g of wheat grains steeped in 3 Lt water

OK, yep volume is helpful
So you have (1.7+1.7+1.5)kg of LME = 4.9kg at about 89% solids = 3.92kg, +1 kg Dex and call it 0.15kg of wheat for a total = 5.07kg at most.
If your OG was 1.102 and you have 21L the mass would be 21*1.102 = 23.142kg.
1.102 is 25.5oP (Plato or %WW) 23.142*0.255=5.9kg
I suspect your OG reading was a bit off. Around 22oP or 1.087-8 looks like its closer to the mark.
Might be worth having a look at your hydrometer, wont help if its is infected.
Mark

wont help if its is infected.
Mark

Thanks for you help Mark. I've always found my hydrometer to be reasonably accurate but it's also been my experience that numbers don't lie.

Is it possible that it is infected and out of control? As it tastes now it's not something I would drink so I'm trying to make the decision whether to let it ferment out or to just tip it away. The key point is not the money already spent on it but rather tying up two crates of bottles for a long time on an ultimately undrinkable brew.

Thanks for you help Mark. I've always found my hydrometer to be reasonably accurate but it's also been my experience that numbers don't lie.

Is it possible that it is infected and out of control? As it tastes now it's not something I would drink so I'm trying to make the decision whether to let it ferment out or to just tip it away. The key point is not the money already spent on it but rather tying up two crates of bottles for a long time on an ultimately undrinkable brew.
Infection is always a possibility, I suspect nearly every home brew made has things living in it other than the yeast we picked. Fortunately most of them are pretty benign.
If you can rack the beer into a cube or other fermenter and leave it for another week you should be able to tell for sure whether it needs tipping or bottling. Some yeasts can throw some really weird flavours and aromas at high gravities, sometimes it improves sometimes not.
If it starts growing a pellicle or getting ropey/stringy/snotty, or the smell gets worse, tip it and sterilise the bejesus out of all your equipment (then do a very cheap K&K to see if the infection reoccurs).
Infections can be very frustrating, especially if they become persistent so be an extreme cleaner!
Mark

(then do a very cheap K&K to see if the infection reoccurs).Mark

I have another fermenter. Is racking as simple as transferring the brew into this other fermenter and leaving all the gunk at the bottom behind. I'm guessing I'll wan't to do this with as little exposure to the air as possible?

Not sure what K&K is but I am a rather obsessive steriliser.

Yes, a hose either tap to tap or to bottom of destination fermenter
Yes, avoid air uptake
Kit and Kilo - a shorthand... well sure you have figured it out now.
Obsessive compulsive, might be even better, but obsessive is a good start ;)
Mark

is it possible you didn't mix the wort properly before you took a readying giving you a high reading? So maybe the attenuation is right but you fermented a big beer quite warm and all you're tasting is hot alcohol. I doubt you kept an active ferment of a big beer at 20degrees when the ambient temp was 26

i have done and tried a number of stupidly strong brews and all take at least 6 months in Glass long necks before they are drink able....a year is better,i just finished off 8-9% Black Rock Bock i did...current twocan brew is a bit on the "normal" side.

Latest posts

Back