Ultratap versus Intertap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual wrong on both counts, never said the Intertaps were shit, and they were Intertap FC bought off eBay. As I said I was impressed by the photo of the Ultratap, also the review from the Ikegger team who seems to have dropped the Intertap in favour of the Ultratap.
When comparing the two it should also be noted that your design team had two cracks at getting it right, whereas KegKing nailed it in one, thanks to their design engineers and R& D department burning the midnight oil and getting it right, makes more sense than marketing something that has to go through generation changes every year. Fermentasaurus is on the Gen 2 , Robobrew on Gen 3, probably looking at a Gen 4 to get the false bottom to stand on all three legs instead of two. But I have no doubt there will inevitably be a Robobrew V Guten thread before long.

So iterative design is not a good thing? I suppose that is why we are all still driving around in Model T Fords.

You made a statement of fewer moving parts. Not I. Your posting in a thread stating one product is better than another and now your saying you only have knowledge of one of the 2. Shop where you like, tell us you like the product you have bought.
Moving Parts in Ultra tap, Perlic, Intertap, Brumby,: Shuttle, Lever. Seals don't count. And myself I rate the Floryte as better than all of these and it does have more moving parts, still a better tap.

Not a gate keeper, just call bullshit when I see it and I hate sales blurbs being stated as fact.

ED: And please come back and tell us how it's performing in 3 or 4 months with the larger shuttle I would expect them to hold up quite well. Just remember to service every couple of kegs.

I said Ultrataps have fewer parts not fewer 'moving parts'. That's true. There is more going on inside an intertap when it comes to seals/o-rings and olives.

As usual wrong on both counts, never said the Intertaps were shit, and they were Intertap FC bought off eBay. As I said I was impressed by the photo of the Ultratap, also the review from the Ikegger team who seems to have dropped the Intertap in favour of the Ultratap.
When comparing the two it should also be noted that your design team had two cracks at getting it right, whereas KegKing nailed it in one, thanks to their design engineers and R& D department burning the midnight oil and getting it right, makes more sense than marketing something that has to go through generation changes every year. Fermentasaurus is on the Gen 2 , Robobrew on Gen 3, probably looking at a Gen 4 to get the false bottom to stand on all three legs instead of two. But I have no doubt there will inevitably be a Robobrew V Guten thread before long.
I know you won't post just how many times you replace those fantastic oring seals in the next 12-18mths so I'll grab one of each tap including a perlic and have all 3 run side by side. Your supposedly some sort of engineer, as stated above no commercial tap relies solely on orings to seal at the pivot. Wonder why I mean 2 silicone Orings would have to be way cheaper than having to have nylon seats machined, all those European, American and Aussie Manufacturers obviously just don't like profit.
And FC vs non FC I've stated elsewhere non FC is the way to go, so your comparing apples and oranges.
And I don't have one item made by Keg Land but lots by Keg king... go figure.

Rolls Royce did not have many iterations.
Sure they would have come out with a new one when airbags became mandatory, no cd player, no Ipod connectivity, no reversing cameras, no traction control, no reversing sensors, no blue tooth, no electric windows, central locking?

Seriously!

And FC vs non FC I've stated elsewhere non FC is the way to go, so your comparing apples and oranges.
And I don't have one item made by Keg Land but lots by Keg king... go figure.
The discussion was not about comparing FC Intertaps performance against Ultratap, but the quality of the finished article.
As for having lots of KegKing gear I would suppose you have, as last year you were Kegking this year KegLand.

So iterative design is not a good thing? I suppose that is why we are all still driving around in Model T Fords.
Don't believe anyone said iterative design is not a good thing, just helps getting things right first time by rigorous testing to iron out any flaws, not releasing goods and hoping for the best.

Yep best to go with less seals in a tap under pressure.
Or just manufacture the tap properly and balance the system so everything pours correctly.

Really interested to see the results of your triple tap test. You would need way more than one of each tap type to make that test work right and eliminate variables, not to mention the same beer in each test line would be fair. If it was me I'd get way too bored of the same beer pouring on all taps. Hell that sounds like a nightmare to be honest. I'm happy to just keep pouring through mine until it breaks or doesn't and I'll let you know.

The discussion was not about comparing FC Intertaps performance against Ultratap, but the quality of the finished article.
As for having lots of KegKing gear I would suppose you have, as last year you were Kegking this year KegLand.
No much point it looking pretty if it leaks in 3 months but hey I suppose we'll see. From the pic's on page 2 the finish on the stainless externally and as reported on both internals is equivalent. So as I stated The larger shuttle may well be better but I have doubts on the silicone seals wearing as well as the combination used by most other manufacturers. Time will tell in the end, my money is on my Andale florytes to be honest.

Or just manufacture the tap properly and balance the system so everything pours correctly.

Really interested to see the results of your triple tap test. You would need way more than one of each tap type to make that test work right and eliminate variables, not to mention the same beer in each test line would be fair. If it was me I'd get way too bored of the same beer pouring on all taps. Hell that sounds like a nightmare to be honest. I'm happy to just keep pouring through mine until it breaks or doesn't and I'll let you know.
I used to service 32 taps each Wednesday before opening and 48 (same 32 plus) on Saturdays, depending who had worked which bars and how hard they were on the levers, maybe 8- 16 of these would need a strip down each week. That was with nylon against moving parts, there's no way a soft silicone oring would last a night with the way some of the girls would swing off those taps. This was a NSW club where a Friday night would see 4 or 5 of the taps ( from one bank)do 1500L easy in the night other banks weren't too far behind. For light careful use (not slamming the tap open or closed) maybe the Ultra tap will be ok. Get some spare orings they are probably easier to replace than most other taps, the SS won't break you might just need to service more. Money says you won't see them on a commercial premise though.

I used to service 32 taps each Wednesday before opening and 48 (same 32 plus) on Saturdays, depending who had worked which bars and how hard they were on the levers, maybe 8- 16 of these would need a strip down each week. That was with nylon against moving parts, there's no way a soft silicone oring would last a night with the way some of the girls would swing off those taps. This was a NSW club where a Friday night would see 4 or 5 of the taps ( from one bank)do 1500L easy in the night other banks weren't too far behind. For light careful use (not slamming the tap open or closed) maybe the Ultra tap will be ok. Get some spare orings they are probably easier to replace than most other taps, the SS won't break you might just need to service more. Money says you won't see them on a commercial premise though.
Already saw one at an ALH property two weeks ago

I'm going to dip my toe into what seems some turbulent water ... I'm a new member here, and will probably run the risk of getting smacked over the nose with a rolled up newspaper as Thurston was earlier ... I'm in the process of moving from bottling to kegging. I'm making some reasonably acceptable extract beers. My mate at work and me trade bottles and really enjoy the mate-ship of making beer ...

Us new guys (well, I should speak for myself) depend on you experienced guys for "expert" advice ... (and the assistance has been fantastic - thank you!) You guys have been doing this for years - If i cant find an answer to a question here, I rely on my LHBS. I don't have any other choice...

Ultra / Inter tap ? does it really matter that much - to me they seem equally good. You blokes are behaving like arsehats and are adding no value to the forum at all. I have no idea if my choice of Ultratap is good or not - after three pages of bullshit, I guess I'll find out with experience. It's a significant investment to get into kegging - I'm almost there.

If we talk customer service between kegland & keg king - kegland are winning. I ordered my kegs on a Wednesday (Melb to Bris) - they were here on Monday.

KK, I ordered my taps last week, they only got to the courier today and had issues with my direct bank deposit ...

End rant ...

Q

Last edited:
Mash Maniac, I've made about 5 posts on this forum so far and you have by far responded with the most unwelcoming, hostile, foaming at the mouth ranting that I've seen. What is your deal?
I don't claim to know everything about taps, I'm just sharing what my experience is, but you seem to be making yourself out to be some sort of aficionado that blows a dozen kegs regularly at the same time. Great.

Thanks for being a gatekeeper, but I'll shop where I want, go where I please and run my beer through anything that makes it shine like a gem because last I checked this is a free country so maybe jog on. As for blind loyalty, what the hell are you on about? Because I didn't buy any other tap?

I still bought the Ultratap without your input and it still poured well and sealed well. If you take an Intertap apart and an Ultratap apart both without flow control, there are less parts in the Ultratap and the parts appear to be more solid and different shaped than the Intertap. That's a fact. The taps are without a doubt, side by side, totally different designs.
Further to this yes you had made maybe only five post on this forum, one of them the most racist I have seen here in 4 or 5 years, directly aimed at one of the retailers/manufacturers selling the equipment being discussed in this very thread. You want to feel welcomed and included perhaps the best way to start that journey is to do the same for others. And you like to state you have no particular axe to grind. Your claim of innocence looks pretty thin.

I'm going to dip my toe into what seems some turbulent water ... I'm a new member here, and will probably run the risk of getting smacked over the nose with a rolled up newspaper as Thurston was earlier ... I'm in the process of moving from bottling to kegging. I'm making some reasonably acceptable extract beers. My mate at work and me trade bottles and really enjoy the mate-ship of making beer ...

Us new guys (well, I should speak for myself) depend on you experienced guys for "expert" advice ... (and the assistance has been fantastic - thank you!) You guys have been doing this for years - If i cant find an answer to a question here, I rely on my LHBS. I don't have any other choice...

Ultra / Inter tap ? does it really matter that much - to me they seem equally good. You blokes are behaving like arsehats and are adding no value to the forum at all. I have no idea if my choice of Ultratap is good or not - after three pages of bullshit, I guess I'll find out with experience. It's a significant investment to get into kegging - I'm almost there.

If we talk customer service between kegland & keg king - kegland are winning. I ordered my kegs on a Wednesday (Melb to Bris) - they were here on Monday.

KK, I ordered my taps last week, they only got to the courier today and had issues with my direct bank deposit ...

End rant ...

Q
Mate, if you buy/bought Intertaps you'll be happy, if you buy/bought Ultrataps I suspect you'll be happy too - it seems like everyone here who has them likes them.

Edit: more careful reading reveals you DID buy Ultrataps. Will be interested to hear your feedback.

I'm actually curious whether the shuttle, lever and seals are interchangeable between the two taps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back