The Sail & Anchor Iron Brew Amateur Brewing Competition 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I better finish my brew rig over christmas so I can use up the Willamette hops I just ordered for this comp :)

I'm thinking of maybe entering two versions of this beer: a lighter, drier quaffer and a big, bold, winter beer

Agreed that judging this one will be hard, it is going to be a very tasty brew!

Looks like I better finish my brew rig over christmas so I can use up the Willamette hops I just ordered for this comp :)

You'd better arrange a time to pop around so I can solder your chiller!

Josh - you'll get an email from Matt with the brew log once he's got through processing your details. Mine was the day after I submitted the form.

You'd better arrange a time to pop around so I can solder your chiller!

Josh - you'll get an email from Matt with the brew log once he's got through processing your details. Mine was the day after I submitted the form.

Still no email

Give the man a call Josh, easiest way. PM if you need his number.

Yeah I'll call again tomorrow. The day I called he was meant to come in, but then didn't.

Josh,

Are you still waiting for the recipe info? Let me know if you are and I'll find out where the delay is.

So it looks like we have a few NSW entries coming in now. Awesome. That rounds out the entries across Australia.

Is anyone else thinking about entering but hasn't yet?

We'll be dropping by Doc's brewhaus to film him making his entry in the next couple of weeks and will post up the episode shortly thereafter.

So it looks like we have a few NSW entries coming in now. Awesome. That rounds out the entries across Australia.

Is anyone else thinking about entering but hasn't yet?

We'll be dropping by Doc's brewhaus to film him making his entry in the next couple of weeks and will post up the episode shortly thereafter.

I'll be entering, just need to confirm I have the time to brew this weekend, or its not going to happen!

So... has anyone put down their brew for this yet???

I put mine down yesterday. Used a blend of JW Med Crystal, Special B & Caraaroma to get some complex dark fruit character. Otherwise fairly "by the book" - though I opted for Pale Choc (500EBC versus recommended 800EBC) with just a smidge of Carafa III. Ended up a bit over grav (17.9 Plato). The wort tastes great.

Unfortunately though I've been informed that I am not eligible to win the comp as it is an "Amateur" brewing competition & allegedly I am no longer an Amateur? Bah humbug!

Germy's still an amateur ;)

Germy's still an amateur ;)

Haha yes.. true. Not sure how she'd go brewing 2000L of it though? I shouldn't be dirty - I'm still allowed to enter, just not eligible for the grand prize!

Hi all - so who has their yummy Ironbrew sitting in wait for the comp?

I've one batch down. maybe I'll do another as well and see which one turns out best. Can never have too much old ale around the place.

Latest posts

Back