The Sail & Anchor Iron Brew Amateur Brewing Competition 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermentv

Reaction score
The Australia wide search is on to find an amateur brewer game enough to clone brew an old school Sail & Anchor brew, the Iron Brew English Strong Ale. The recipe vault's open, a gold medal brew log ready and waiting.

Ironbrew was an iconic Matilda Bay beer at arguably the genesis of the craft brewing industry in Western Australia during the early 1990s. It made a solid contribution to Matilda Bay being viewed at the time as a brewer of delicious craft beers, standing above others in Australia at the time, including their flagship Redback wheat beer. Ironbrew was one of the first Australian craft beers I ever had and as such it has a special place for me in my beer imbibing history. :) Now the original venue for Matilda Bay, the Sail and Anchor hotel in Fremantle, is holding an amateur brewing competition to see this classic beer re-created in all of it's 7%, English strong ale glory!

1st prize - To have a 40 litre keg of your Ironbrew clone on tap at the Sail and Anchor
2nd prize - A 50 litre keg of Sail & Anchor IPA
3rd prize - $100 cash

Further information and conditions of entry can be found on the Sail and Anchor website. It's open to everyone and the S&A have made some arrangements for East Coasters to send their samples to a VIC based shipping point.

Checkout the website for further information (or post your queries here) & Good Luck!

So who's going to give it a crack ??
I think I'll give it a shake

Doc

Could reopen the brewery at the Sail and brew a real authentic original.
Miserable bastards.

If it was up to Matt (the venue Manager) I'm sure they would. Matt's coordinating this competition as part of the Sail and Anchor's transformation into a pub that showcases craft beers from around Australia and the world. It's not driven by those that chose to close the brewery.

I know there's a certain brewer in WA who's already got the entry and worked out a recipe for it and ordered the ingredients :ph34r:
And they won't be the last.

I'll have a crack. After tasting Barry's Old Ale at the AABC in Melbourne, I have been planning on brewing one. This is just the kick start I needed.

WHo are you beermen tv?

are youa homebrewer?

anyway I am going to knock one out

So who's going to give it a crack ??

I'm in.

I remember this beer from my early 20's lager swilling pub crawling days around Freo. Funnily I remember it as strong harsh black treakely shit! mmm how ones tastes for beer matures with time :icon_cheers::).

..Anyway trying to keep things positive and add some value to this thread [\GB] comparing it to BJCP 19A. Old Ale. I'll be heading to the darker end of the style for colour. Around 23 SRM. The S&A Iron Brew Specific Guidelines says 40 SRM! I wouldn't go that far. (I'd say that a typo and Matt has his SRM's & EBC's muddled)

Plus I'll be tweaking the specialty grains to try and give the beer a bit of an aged character. Maybe adding some Special B or Molasses or even play round with some Dark Belgian Candy Sugars.

Yum

Asher

WHo are you beermen tv?

are you a homebrewer?

anyway I am going to knock one out

We are all and none of the above. A group of Aussie beers lovers with a video podcast at http://beermen.tv that hopes to spread the word about better beer. I grew up in Western Australia so I've thrown back many an Ironbrew in my early days and like a few around here was always sad to see the brewing move from Fremantle to the East Coast. Still, resurrecting such an iconic beer is great and we're here to support the competition. For the Perth locals, we'll see you there at the final too!

Matt from the Sail and Anchor tells me the entries are coming in from WA, SA, VIC and QLD.

Are the NSW homebrewers just waiting until they survive the Xmas and NY period? I can understand that! :)

Matt from the Sail and Anchor tells me the entries are coming in from WA, SA, VIC and QLD.

Are the NSW homebrewers just waiting until they survive the Xmas and NY period? I can understand that! :)

Faxed my cc details off. Waiting for more info. Doesn't Matt email me recipe guidelines or something?

Latest posts

Back