The Sail & Anchor Iron Brew Amateur Brewing Competition 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep forgetting to brew something up. Maybe on the weekend although not got any room to ferment it.

Mine is going in the keg/bottles on friday. I am thinking about doing a second batch, but I don't think I will have time.

I just cubed mine now... better late than never. Won't be very old. Had some brew issues to do with new equipment, so it is just an exercise in brewing something that I would not have done normally. Keen on the feedback.

only found out about this last weekend and brewing it as we speak. I trust the judges can compare beers and extrapolate how they will age to a certain degree. saying that I don't like my chances!

There's still time to get ironbrewing and submit your entry if you're still thinking about it. we recently filmed Darren Robinson from Doctor's Orders Brewing making his entry, so please checkout episode 56 of http://beermen.tv when you get a chance if you're after a little inspiration! In classic Doc style he's added his own special touch to his entry.

We're certainly keen to see a few more East Coast entries. If anyone is unable to get their bottled entries to the drop-off points, please let me know and I will try to help you make it happen.

Surely Darren would now be considered a 'Professional Brewer' and be in the same class as Brendan, can enter, but can't take a trophy ?

Surely Darren would now be considered a 'Professional Brewer' and be in the same class as Brendan, can enter, but can't take a trophy ?

I'd say so. Without wanting to misrepresent Doc, I'd say the opportunity to put a unique spin on Ironbrew and be judged by Brendan Varis was motivation enough. Besides there was also my constant badgering for him to enter. :) I'm sure he won't take it as a bad thing if the judges rule him out because he's a Pro.

We're certainly keen to see a few more East Coast entries. If anyone is unable to get their bottled entries to the drop-off points, please let me know and I will try to help you make it happen.
Beermen,

Mine's ready.......and I'm from East Coast B) .....What now?

I think I read somewhere I need to get my beer to Melbourne to be transported to Perth with the rest of the EC entries. Is this correct?

Edit - found on S&A webpage...but no specifics.

Non-WA entrants will have a cold storage drop of point in Melbourne, to be transported to The Sail via cold storage. Details to follow closer to date.

Cheers,

PB

Beermen,

Mine's ready.......and I'm from East Coast B) .....What now?

I think I read somewhere I need to get my beer to Melbourne to be transported to Perth with the rest of the EC entries. Is this correct?

Edit - found on S&A webpage...but no specifics.

Non-WA entrants will have a cold storage drop of point in Melbourne, to be transported to The Sail via cold storage. Details to follow closer to date.

Cheers,

PB

Awesome - thanks for entering! I've asked for the specifics on contact person and drop-off point as I didn't have them on hand. As soon as I receive them they'll be posted up here (in the next day or two).

Hi all,

For east coast entrants, here are the details for sending your entry beers to the drop off point. Please note the dates when collections can be sent!

Sail & Anchor Ironbrew competition
c/o SCT Logistics
7 Westlink Court, Altona VIC 3018

Accepting deliveries: Monday 28th Feb 2011 Friday 4th March 2011

1. Beer should be in the form of 2 x 750ml bottles (or equivalent).

2. Bottles should be marked with only the entrants full name & mobile number on a white sticker.

3. NO bottles will be accepted after Friday 4th March @ 4pm. THIS IS THE STEADFAST DEADLINE.

4. Bottles should be bubble wrapped (or equivalent) to ensure no breakages.

5. Any bags/wrappings/bottles etc will not be returned to the entrant.

Any further queries can be directed to Matt Marinich at the Sail and Anchor - 08 9431 1666.

Good luck!

Hi all,

For east coast entrants, here are the details for sending your entry beers to the drop off point. Please note the dates when collections can be sent!

Sail & Anchor Ironbrew competition
c/o SCT Logistics
7 Westlink Court, Altona VIC 3018

Accepting deliveries: Monday 28th Feb 2011 Friday 4th March 2011

1. Beer should be in the form of 2 x 750ml bottles (or equivalent).

2. Bottles should be marked with only the entrants full name & mobile number on a white sticker.

3. NO bottles will be accepted after Friday 4th March @ 4pm. THIS IS THE STEADFAST DEADLINE.

4. Bottles should be bubble wrapped (or equivalent) to ensure no breakages.

5. Any bags/wrappings/bottles etc will not be returned to the entrant.

Any further queries can be directed to Matt Marinich at the Sail and Anchor - 08 9431 1666.

Good luck!

Just had a phone call from SCT Logistics. It appears the receiving people don't know anything about this. I gave her Matt's number so hopefully it all gets sorted. I don't have another 2 bottles either, so they better get there.

Any news on the SCT Logistics not knowing what the entries are all about? I was meant to send mine off today, glad i saw this before i sent them. Hope it gets sorted soon as its cutting it really fine getting them there on time now!

Just drop them off/send them to SCT well labelled, they'll know what to do.

For WA entrants make sure you get your beers there by the 8th (next Tuesday) or earlier! Little birdy said there were few submissions (out of 31) so far - I guess everyone's trying to age their beer for as long as possible?

Just had a phone call from SCT Logistics. It appears the receiving people don't know anything about this. I gave her Matt's number so hopefully it all gets sorted. I don't have another 2 bottles either, so they better get there.

Sorry for the late reply but as per Brendan's comment - there's no issue. This was simply a new starter not yet being told about the arrangement. Beers that have been sent are all marked and accounted for. Good luck everyone!!

And no matter where you are, if you haven't got your entry in yet you need to get your beers to the Sail & Anchor by COB Tuesday the 8th of March (as the East Coast drop off point is now closed).

If anyone has any issues getting their beer in, please let me know. I will help you make it happen.

I guess everyone's trying to age their beer for as long as possible?
Well,

When I posted mine it was 36 degrees here in Brissie.....I reckon the ridiculously high temperature that the beer would have reached during it's little journey to Melbourne would have accelerated the aging process somewhat....

Posted on Monday...couple of really hot days..... :(

I just told myself...that will help my beer...... :unsure:

PB

hay imagine watt IGA or any other supermart could do!!!
exice just love that stuff (*BULLSHIT)

Bump for any last minute WA people who might have forgot.

I am about to bottle and deliver mine now.

So apparently on the 8th of March, Dan delivered the winning entry.
Well done mate ! :beerbang:

The trick was to go high tech. I will outline my strategy:

1. Give capper to partner's father, who will not use it.
2. Forget the fact you have given capper to partner's father
2. Use polyethylene terephthalate bottles that are not rated for pressure (but are good for drinking water), but it will be OK if you store it cold
3. Step 1 in the advanced ageing procedure is to partially freeze the beer while attempting the pressure reduction
4. Step 2 in the advanced ageing procedure is to somehow make the barstaff handling the entry trip and throw your entry down the cellar stairs (plastic bottle essential)

Frozen beer can be OK.
No chill still apparently works.

Back